Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Wind Noise, access cab

Old 01-24-2007, 06:52 AM   #1
Rehabber is on a distinguished road
Rehabber's Tacoma Gallery
Wind Noise, access cab

Anyone have problems with wind noise coming from behind the driver in the access cab? Problem starts at over 40 MPH. Checked all of the door seals and none are out of place or twisted. Vehicle is an '07. Any TSB's out?

Thanks for the help
Old 01-27-2007, 06:39 AM   #2
Jeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to all

Army: Sp4 in Personel Section HQ CO.
Jeff's Tacoma Gallery
I have a new 06 bought in Oct. I don't have wind noise, ie. leaks and whistles but there seems to be a lot of aero noise at 60mph, in other words just the force of the air passing by is the noise that I hear. Just a design problem but like I said no leaks or whistles.

Jeff
06, 6spd,4x4 acc cab V6
Old 01-27-2007, 06:44 AM   #3
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chicky Baby
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
Rehabber:

Do you have any add ons such as window visors, Back-Rack, hood mounted stuff like CB antenna's......?
Old 01-27-2007, 07:57 AM   #4
The only exterior add on is an Extrang Trifecta tonneau cover. Seems to be tight all around. Never leaks going thru the car wash.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:01 PM   #5
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chicky Baby
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehabber View Post
The only exterior add on is an Extrang Trifecta tonneau cover.
Good place to start. Take if off and give the process of elimination a try. You may be pleasantly surprised.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:14 PM   #6
john3:16 is on a distinguished road
john3:16's Tacoma Gallery
when the winds hit and cross my car my car tends to whistle as well, is this normal?
Old 01-31-2007, 01:01 PM   #7
Exactly my problem John. Noise is more noticable depending on sidewind direction. Stuffed a towel in the exterior lower cavity of the access door and no more noise.
Nice that I found the source of the problem but there is no practical way to fix it. Just a design flaw.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:09 PM   #8
RAPOM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPOM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPOM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPOM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPOM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPOM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPOM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPOM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPOM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPOM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPOM is one of the sharper tools in the shed
RAPOM's Tacoma Gallery
I was going to say I did the same thing as Rehabber, once I loaded up work gloves, shop rags, couple spare T-shirts it hasn't been that bad. I have noticed that loose stuff in the little storage compartments make a lot of noise over bumps, but thats another story.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:16 PM   #9
Kev is on a distinguished road
Kev's Tacoma Gallery
My new 07 has wind noise on the freeway from about 50 mph on up. Dealer states the noise comes from the lower seal of the rear access cab door and that Toyota is aware of the problem...however there is no fix at this time as it appears to be a design flaw. Dealer stated to check back periodically as they did expect something to develop overtime ---
Old 01-31-2007, 11:12 PM   #10
john3:16 is on a distinguished road
john3:16's Tacoma Gallery
what a bummer, i was looking to see if i could have it fixed under warrenty, but i guess not, its not that bad but it can just get a little obnoxious when cross winds hit the car, not a biggy, still a great great truck, gotta love em
Old 02-01-2007, 01:03 PM   #11
Jeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to all

Jeff's Tacoma Gallery
Great work at problem solving, Rehabber and everyone, I was wondering since stuffing that lower cavity solved the problem, I was thinking that maybe Toyota assemblers for got to seal up an opening behind that panel, with the plastic sheeting or what ever they use these days.
In other situations years ago, they used to seal unused openings with a heavy saran wrap type material to keep noise and cold air and moisture from getting on the back of the panel. Perhaps when in a warm garage the panel might be removed and then inspected. Just a thought, it would not be the first time someone on the assembly line forgot something.

Jeff
06, acc cab, V6 , 6spd, bone stock taco SR5
Old 02-02-2007, 07:38 AM   #12
Jeff, did you stuff the interior door pocket to stop the noise? I was talking about the cavity on the lower outside of the access door facing the bed. It's big enough to stick a hand into. I thought the wind was swirling around inside there.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:24 AM   #13

Jeff's Tacoma Gallery
Rehabber, no I did not, my wind noise is what I call aero noise, wind going by the cab, at speed of over 50. Not necessarily whistling just more noise than with other vehicles I have owned and driven lately( my friends, 06 Denali) and this is just a design problem and wind noise is a criteria that car magazines often mention in there tests.

What I do have is a rattle, which seems to be in the rear of the cab and I have checked to make sure things are tight, its not there all the time, just over certain bumps etc. It sounds like there is something loose, in the area of the jack under the jump seat.

Jeff
06,4x4,V6,6spd,acc cab bone stock so far.
When my truck goes in for its 5000 oil change, which I will have a dealer do, I will mention it to them.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:08 PM   #14
Kev is on a distinguished road
Kev's Tacoma Gallery
Jeff,

I too had a "rattle" from that same area and it sounded like something was loose when hitting bumps, etc...came to find out it was the passenger seat belt hitting against the padded stop on the pillar. The projection of the sound fooled me as it sounded like it was coming from behind where it actually was. It would come and go (when someone was sitting there I could never duplicate it as they had the belt on). May not be a player in your noise but wanted to pass it on.

Kev
Old 03-09-2007, 10:36 PM   #15
mugu07taco is on a distinguished road
mugu07taco's Tacoma Gallery
I noticed wind noise as well. I just crank the music up louder. Annoying though when trying to talk on the phone. Would be nice if they recalled and fixed.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:56 AM   #16
07taco4x4 is on a distinguished road
07taco4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought an 07 double cab and I get wind noise but it sounds like its coming through the front doors by the mirrors. it might only be aero noise but it is a little annoying. I hope there is a fix for this
Old 04-14-2007, 05:42 PM   #17
midV6size is on a distinguished road
midV6size's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs down

This thread sounds depressing??? They knew about the problems, but didn't fix them for the 2007's? I may now hold off until the 08's come out!!
Old 04-15-2007, 07:51 AM   #18
evolution6972 is on a distinguished road

evolution6972's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to evolution6972
on my 05 there is heat shields under the truck and its really windy and when i get on intterstate it makes so much noise in a strong wind when i first hear it i thought mt transmission was gettting bad till i looked under and saw the foil pans they attached to the bottom
Old 04-16-2007, 11:15 PM   #19
Steve762us is on a distinguished road
Steve762us's Tacoma Gallery
On a 07 Access cab, I'm getting an intermittent noise with cross winds...sounds like a mix of nails on a blackboard and a kazoo. Sounds like it's coming from the top of the windshield, center or passenger side. I've had the truck three weeks, and haven't took it in for a write-up yet. No external accessories or modifications.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:14 AM   #20
Mod Master
pb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the rough

pb2themax's Tacoma Gallery
Access cabs have a vent in the back wall of the cab. It's behind the seat panels. It releases pressure when you turn on the A/C, and when you slam your door shut. You can partially seal off this vent and it can reduce some of that wind noise.