Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Test drove TAcoma TRD OR and SR5 then Ford f150; how I rate these...

Old 12-10-2009, 07:55 PM   #21
mibpf is on a distinguished road
mibpf's Tacoma Gallery
Tough Descision

I owned a Ford F150 XLT for 10 years. It was a very solid truck and so far the most reliable truck I have ever owned. My wife drives a 2003 Toyota Sienna which has been a very good vehicle also. This year I sold the Ford to try a Tacoma Prerunner double cab TRD. The verdict is still out. I have had it in the shio twice, one time for a window switch that went bad and the most recent for the Auto Shifting TSB. My friend recently had his in for a sqeaking issue. Even though the dealer made all of the repairs, I am wandering if I should have purchaced another Ford F150. It had more room, gas milage was about the same with a larger engine. I will say trying to compare the two is like comparing apples and oranges. If your comming from a larger truck, I think it's a harder transition. It has taken me a while to get used to the smaller bed and inside cabin. The biggest regret I have in purchasing the Toyota is I did not get a 4x4.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:11 PM   #22
tuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tuckr2's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota -vs- F150

I just sold my 02 F150 4x Supercrew. Got 14,000. Really pretty happy as i originally paid 27K. Bought a New 2010 double cab 4x long bed TRD Sport. Went to Toyota basically a couple of reasons. The Ford was more expensive and mileage was not nearly as good. I will say Toyota in stock form whether SR5 or TRD does not ride as nice as even my 02 Ford. Just bigger seats and way more comfortable. I drove the SR5 and noticed the same thing. Seats were more comfortable than the TRD's. They appear short underneath the leg with causes some minor discomfort. Ford seats are definitely longer underneath. All that said, I really love the Toyota. Great looks, good mileage, very good return on investment. And lastly, fun to drive. K
Old 12-10-2009, 08:17 PM   #23
GTVAPSAMTIK has a spectacular aura aboutGTVAPSAMTIK has a spectacular aura aboutGTVAPSAMTIK has a spectacular aura about

Army: Base Defense Systems
Name: SOHAIL
GTVAPSAMTIK's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
think resale my friend... 5yr old tacoma vs 5yr old f150...
Toyota FTW. That was one of the reason I picked TOYOTA instead of FORD or DODGE.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:29 PM   #24
Drakken is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement:
Name: Nevin
Drakken's Tacoma Gallery
Traded a 2001 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4x4 w/ the 5.4L Triton V8 in it for my 2009 Tacoma SR5 DoubleCab. Don't get me wrong I loved the Ford and had planned on keeping it till the wheels fell off but after I got stranded in it twice in the matter of 10,000 miles that made the decision for me (truck had less than 100k on it). I wanted something more reliable and was a bit easier to drive and park with city traffic. I am happy with my Tacoma and it is comfortable for me to drive and I am 6'4" and over 200#. I do miss the size and power of the Ford sometimes but the Tacoma does everything I need a truck to do. Once I get a lift installed I will be even happier.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:33 PM   #25
I like ze best!
Rhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rhino8541's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfire View Post
I was one of the first in US to buy a toyota 4x4.
Lol, when was that?
Old 12-10-2009, 08:41 PM   #27
Griztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to behold
Griztaco's Tacoma Gallery
what are you guys talking about TRD OR vs SR5??

My TRD OR IS an SR5... Unless they put the wrong emblam on my truck.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:46 PM   #29
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Two things:

1. Comparing a full size to a compact (midsize) is nonsense. Apples to oranges, IMO.

2. I love watching people who clearly haven't owned Fords make these "agonizing" decisions about considering "jumping ship". I've owned all manner of Fords and they were all junk with horrible trade in/resale value. There's a reason I'm driving a Toyota now and it's not because I loved Fords for 20 years and wanted to buy something else on a whim.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:08 PM   #30
lightfire is a jewel in the roughlightfire is a jewel in the roughlightfire is a jewel in the rough
lightfire's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino8541 View Post
Lol, when was that?
70's

Re: Apples and oranges. Don't think so. The size of a standard cab Ford is actually less than a double cab Toyota in length. Gas mileage advertised within a few mpg. Leg room about the same. Acceleration about the same. They are both trucks. Not apples and oranges.

I had an F250 that crapped out on me, bad transmission twice in 40k miles. But I do note in one of these threads a lot of folks have had problems with their Tacoma as well.
Wish they were still made in Japan.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:22 PM   #31
Taco Fever - I've got it bad!
billyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
billyjoe's Tacoma Gallery
I've owned them all (GM, Dodge, Ford & Toyota). Bought an "certified" almost new (<10k miles) '97 4x4 Ext. Cab F150 in the summer of '97 from CarMax. This truck was a great vehicle for the first year. Then the nuisance issues began - transmission slipping/hunting, check engine light repeatedly going on, spare tire cable broke (yep, lost the spare), "leaky" spark plug wires causing misfiring, warped rotors causing brake vibration, ATF "brokedown" causing wierd shifting behavior, etc. Three consecutive visits to the dealer @ $700 each. As much as I had enjoyed it during the initial year, I began to wonder on a daily basis what was going to go wrong next. When I finally decided to sell it, it was quite a slap in the face how much book price had fell from what I had paid just 2 years prior.

Friends of mine have owned Tacomas or Tundras for the last 10 years and NEVER had issues like the above. The worst I've heard was a friend who bought an '09 Taco and found the radio was acting up. Warranty replacement cured that issue. When they sold, they extracted what I thought were ridiculously high values from their vehicles (compared to used domestics).

I had always been too cheap to spend the money for a Toyota - especially for less than a full size. Then came $4.00+ gas. Fuel economy & resale finally convinced me to take the plunge. I bought a used '05 4x4 V6 Taco w/45k on it. After performing all the 30k & 45k maintenance myself (previous owner wasn't exactly conscientious), I can safely say this is the most reliable (& enjoyable) vehicle I've owned in my 35 years of driving (not to mention the fun of adding mods).

So, now that I've written a tome, I 'll sum up by saying when considering a truck purchase, you need to think long and hard about RELIABILTY, RESALE and ECONOMY besides functionality, comfort, cosmetics & price.

BUY THE TOYOTA!
Old 12-10-2009, 09:37 PM   #32
Fitz
kjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kjf216's Tacoma Gallery
i used to drive my dads 06 f150 fx4 is a nice truck if u need the sized, but for its size and weight the power sucks, honestly not well built trucks. we have had so much trouble with it since he got it. now that i got my 08 tacoma i would never go back to the ford
Old 12-11-2009, 06:49 AM   #33
el_smurfo is on a distinguished road
el_smurfo's Tacoma Gallery
Bit of a dick thing for me to say, but if the seats are pinching your sides, maybe choosing a truck isn't your "biggest" problem?
Old 12-11-2009, 06:56 AM   #34
MMMMM Taco's
Taco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Taco-NB's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck getting the posted fuel mileage on the F150.

If you need to tow a big trailer then you should go with the F150 or, even better, the Tundra.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:57 AM   #35
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
i think you mean half as much or a third as much...

3x as less is confusing...
That one confused me too.
The tacoma will definitely hold the resale value better than the F-150 IMO.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:07 AM   #36
roy826 will become famous soon enoughroy826 will become famous soon enough

roy826's Tacoma Gallery
Value definetly goes to toyota. I got half what I paid new for a 7 year old tacoma on trade in. I don't think that will happen on a ford. Toyota has slipped in quality the past few years but are still considered the benchmark to which all the others strive to be.

Stay with the Toyota money well spent.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:08 AM   #37
SportyTuRD is a jewel in the roughSportyTuRD is a jewel in the roughSportyTuRD is a jewel in the rough

SportyTuRD's Tacoma Gallery
I just did this same comparrison...but for a Used Vehicle...05 tacoma vs. 05 f-150
almost the same miles almost the same price...

What helped me was this:
resale down the road the Toyota will be worth more...
The Tacoma is smaller but it Tows/payload and interior size all meet my needs...(check what your needs are)
I occassionally have to drive into and through the city...So the tacoma is much easier to get around in and park if needed...

IF you decided you Actually need a full size due to pay load or towing needs, may i suggest to look at a Sr5 4.6L V8 tundra...it will cost about the same as the ford...MPG will be about the same and it will do everythign teh ford will for about teh same Money...

$30,000 give ro take will buy the folllowing:
TRD off road Loaded equipment V6 Tacoma
SR5 access cab(well equipped) 4.6L Tundra (same HP as 5.4L F-150)
moderatly equipped F-150 w. 5.4L V8
Old 12-11-2009, 07:11 AM   #38
lightfire is a jewel in the roughlightfire is a jewel in the roughlightfire is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_smurfo View Post
Bit of a dick thing for me to say, but if the seats are pinching your sides, maybe choosing a truck isn't your "biggest" problem?

I am a large guy but not overweight. I think it has to do with the contour of the seat - the SR5 had a different (better for me) contour - but no lumbar support.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:16 AM   #39
Bellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ben
Bellis's Tacoma Gallery
had a ford now have my second yoda never looked back
Old 12-11-2009, 07:16 AM   #40
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyTuRD View Post
I just did this same comparrison...but for a Used Vehicle...05 tacoma vs. 05 f-150
almost the same miles almost the same price...

What helped me was this:
resale down the road the Toyota will be worth more...
The Tacoma is smaller but it Tows/payload and interior size all meet my needs...(check what your needs are)
I occassionally have to drive into and through the city...So the tacoma is much easier to get around in and park if needed...

IF you decided you Actually need a full size due to pay load or towing needs, may i suggest to look at a Sr5 4.6L V8 tundra...it will cost about the same as the ford...MPG will be about the same and it will do everythign teh ford will for about teh same Money...

$30,000 give ro take will buy the folllowing:
TRD off road Loaded equipment V6 Tacoma
SR5 access cab(well equipped) 4.6L Tundra (same HP as 5.4L F-150)
moderatly equipped F-150 w. 5.4L V8
Yes, I looked at a reg cab Tundra the other day. The guy that was driving it said he got 14 mpg. Nice looking truck, for sure.

I think the seats is , for me, the most reason for my hesitation on the Tacoma. But hell, I drive a 93 Toyota 4x4 right now with about 300K miles on it, got my money's worth many times over.