Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Test drove TAcoma TRD OR and SR5 then Ford f150; how I rate these...

Old 12-11-2009, 08:31 AM   #41
tuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tuckr2's Tacoma Gallery
Still love my F150.

The F150 I just sold still was a great truck. Fuel mileage is a primary consideration vs how I utilize my pickup. I don't pull any significant weight so smaller was better. Both in physical size and power. Comfort of the Ford was better due to better seats and again size. Having owned several Toyota's over the last 35 years of driving made this choice a good one over some other smaller vehicle. Resale is also a great consideration.
The nice guy who referred to being a bit of a di_k, well you said it. Sorry to say but with a handle like El Smurfo sounds like you might have a personal problem as well.
Just my thoughts. K
Old 12-11-2009, 08:53 AM   #42
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MAXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Buy what YOU want!!!! Because you are the one that is going to be making the payments and driving it. If you can live with the confort of the Tacoma then I would suggest getting the Tacoma. If comfort is a big factor then get the F-150 because you aren't going to want to be driving something that is unconfortable on a dialy bases. In the Tacoma you might get used to the seats once they are broken in, as in my truck I think that are probably the most confortable seats of any car. I've been very happy with my Tacoma. No really issues to speak of and I have 60k on it. Good Luck with your choice!
Old 12-11-2009, 08:56 AM   #43
TRIFECTA!!!
swise is a splendid one to beholdswise is a splendid one to beholdswise is a splendid one to beholdswise is a splendid one to beholdswise is a splendid one to beholdswise is a splendid one to beholdswise is a splendid one to behold

swise's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
think resale my friend... 5yr old tacoma vs 5yr old f150...
yes
Old 12-11-2009, 09:02 AM   #44
Betty White Edition Heep ZJ
jonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jonny's Tacoma Gallery
dont act surprised when your brand new f150 is worth 6 grand in 5 years
jk
best of luck to you on your decision man
Old 12-11-2009, 09:02 AM   #45
el_smurfo is on a distinguished road
el_smurfo's Tacoma Gallery
The Tacoma really isn't a truck for a big guy. I'm 6'2" and really have to lean the seat back to keep from staring right into the visor as I drive. I wonder if you could modify the SR5 seats...slide a wedge of foam under the fabric in the lumbar area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfire View Post

I am a large guy but not overweight. I think it has to do with the contour of the seat - the SR5 had a different (better for me) contour - but no lumbar support.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:06 AM   #46
tuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tuckr2's Tacoma Gallery
Seats in TRD

Actually, just put in Covercraft Neoprene seat covers last night. The extra piling extends the seat maybe another half inch as well as padding the seat slightly. Noticed more cush for the bottom of my legs. Also, you are correct that reclining the seat a touch more certainly helps.
Got to get the covers on the back seats tonight. Then she will look even prettier. K
Old 12-11-2009, 09:24 AM   #47
lightfire is a jewel in the roughlightfire is a jewel in the roughlightfire is a jewel in the rough
lightfire's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_smurfo View Post
The Tacoma really isn't a truck for a big guy. I'm 6'2" and really have to lean the seat back to keep from staring right into the visor as I drive. I wonder if you could modify the SR5 seats...slide a wedge of foam under the fabric in the lumbar area?
I use a half-moon lumbar support cushion. Although less easy, it gives much better support than the lumbar support in the TRD OR. I will probably use it even if I buy the TRD OR. I am 6" 2" as well and would like about 2 more inches in height on the cab and 2 more inches of legroom, but think it would be OK with the seat leaned back.
But your idea of modifying the seat is a good one, I think.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:29 AM   #48
lightfire is a jewel in the roughlightfire is a jewel in the roughlightfire is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco-NB View Post
Good luck getting the poster fuel mileage on the F150.

If you need to tow a big trailer then you should go with the F150 or, even better, the Tundra.
Got a Dodge Diesel for towing. Just want a new daily driver, probably will be the Tacoma.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:33 AM   #49
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
People don't give the tacoma much credit though. They can be used for more then just a daily driver. These things can tow as well. They are great offroad and the mileage isn't bad at all.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:34 AM   #50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckr2 View Post
... I drove the SR5 and noticed the same thing. Seats were more comfortable than the TRD's. ...
Glad I wasn't the only one. Now if I could get the factory locker in the SR5...
Old 12-11-2009, 10:32 AM   #51
kbaum08 will become famous soon enough
kbaum08's Tacoma Gallery
Six foot three inches. I would like more support under the leg right before the knee the FJ I had before the Tacoma had more adjustments to the seat and solved that problem. The Tacoma seats for me are more comfortable than my friends Ford King Ranch for longer trips and definately any Chrysler product I have been inm my knees kill me after 100 miles in those vehicles. The Taco seats are not perfect but not too bad for a tallish guy I need to stop every couple hours or so anyway.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:34 AM   #52
sdnicker2000 is just really nicesdnicker2000 is just really nicesdnicker2000 is just really nicesdnicker2000 is just really nicesdnicker2000 is just really nice
sdnicker2000's Tacoma Gallery
You know all I ever hear about Toyota's and Honda's is "Resale, resale, resale". Well while I agree to a point there is more to be said. Buy what you WANT and can afford. When I decided to buy a Honda motorcycle my buddy kept saying "Shoulda bought a Harley, better resale". I told him I wasn't buying a bike for and investment, I was buying it to ride (and keep, not re-sell). And I've never looked back. Just my opinion.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:39 AM   #53
frobuster will become famous soon enoughfrobuster will become famous soon enough

frobuster's Tacoma Gallery
A truck has an 8' bed, and carries a good payload; if you want a truck, get the Tundra or F-150

If you want an off roader, you're going to want shorter wheelbase, less overhang, easy to lift, not a brand new, under warranty 20k truck.

A Tacoma is good for being true 4x4; hauling little household stuff and lumber; it's cool and fast.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:41 AM   #54
wilsonpj is a jewel in the roughwilsonpj is a jewel in the roughwilsonpj is a jewel in the rough
Name: Pete
wilsonpj's Tacoma Gallery
F ound
O n
R oad
D ead

Enough said, total cost of ownership will be way higher long term with all the repairs you will have to make on the f-150.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:44 AM   #55
MGH-PA will become famous soon enough

MGH-PA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdnicker2000 View Post
You know all I ever hear about Toyota's and Honda's is "Resale, resale, resale". Well while I agree to a point there is more to be said. Buy what you WANT and can afford. When I decided to buy a Honda motorcycle my buddy kept saying "Shoulda bought a Harley, better resale". I told him I wasn't buying a bike for and investment, I was buying it to ride (and keep, not re-sell). And I've never looked back. Just my opinion.
Thank you!

Vehicles depreciate...they're terrible investments (in the sense that most investments should cause some monetary gain over time). Some more than others, but if you're buying to keep the thing for a while, re-sale shouldn't be a top deciding factor.

You hear a lot of people on hear stating that they bought a Toyota for longevity and long-term reliability, so if that's the case, re-sale shouldn't a a huge concern unless you plan to sell short term.

Point is, drive what YOU like. Toyota has a record for reliability, but they're not the end all be all of vehicles.

Btw, next to Toyotas, Ford trucks definitely hold their value very well FWIW.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:51 AM   #56
Snowman20 has a spectacular aura aboutSnowman20 has a spectacular aura aboutSnowman20 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Cody
Snowman20's Tacoma Gallery
not everybody loves the trd seats i find.. it's mostly people on the larger side. but for me at 6'2'' 195lbs they're perfect, my dad on the other hand is around 250lbs and cant sit in them for more then 30minutes. as far as the f150 vs tacoma.. its no secret that the f150 will be a more comfortable, and more bang for your buck vehicle.. but the tacoma has reliability, durability and resale on its side..
Old 12-11-2009, 11:19 AM   #57
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonpj View Post
F ound
O n
R oad
D ead

Enough said, total cost of ownership will be way higher long term with all the repairs you will have to make on the f-150.
F ix
O r
R epair
D aily