Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Test drove TAcoma TRD OR and SR5 then Ford f150; how I rate these...

Old 12-10-2009, 03:32 PM   #1
lightfire is a jewel in the roughlightfire is a jewel in the roughlightfire is a jewel in the rough
lightfire's Tacoma Gallery
Test drove TAcoma TRD OR and SR5 then Ford f150; how I rate these...

...for comfort and value.

With everyone talking about how much better the TRD seats are than the SR5 - not to me. The TRD pinches my sides and the SR5 doesn't. Sr5 did not have lumbar support but frankly the support in the TRD was not as good as a simple half-moon pillow.
The F150 wins this one hands down.
So my ranking is for comfort:
1) F150
2) SR5
3) TRD

Power:
For Hwy driving I am thinking the Toyota V6 will hang with the Ford V8.
So Tie.

Fuel mileage:
Toyota by a measly 2 mpg; both kinda suck, but this one goes to:
Toyota

Value
They both are much too expensive. I went to finalize my decision on which Tacoma as I plan on purchasing next week. Now I am not so sure. I am seriously going to look at the Ford again, since there is not that much difference in price. Hate to jump ship as I have been a loyal Toyota 4x4 owner since they stated making them; I have owned 4 of them.
Value conclusion:
Don't freakin know.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:36 PM   #2
tacoman101 is a glorious beacon of lighttacoman101 is a glorious beacon of lighttacoman101 is a glorious beacon of lighttacoman101 is a glorious beacon of lighttacoman101 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: scott
tacoman101's Tacoma Gallery
lol, nice conslusion IMHO, i'd stick with the tacoma, they have always been on the pricey side, but I think its worth it. I'd get the sr5 if you do mild everday driving, but if you want to offraod alot, I'd go with the TRD.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:38 PM   #3
CAMZTRD has much to be proud ofCAMZTRD has much to be proud ofCAMZTRD has much to be proud ofCAMZTRD has much to be proud ofCAMZTRD has much to be proud ofCAMZTRD has much to be proud ofCAMZTRD has much to be proud ofCAMZTRD has much to be proud ofCAMZTRD has much to be proud of

Name: steve
CAMZTRD's Tacoma Gallery
in 10yrs. the f150 is worth twice as less as the tacoma...concider that, hell maybe even 3x less.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:40 PM   #4
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
think resale my friend... 5yr old tacoma vs 5yr old f150...
Old 12-10-2009, 03:42 PM   #5
Doc Holiday is on a distinguished road
Doc Holiday's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
think resale my friend... 5yr old tacoma vs 5yr old f150...

Agreed +1
Old 12-10-2009, 03:46 PM   #6
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMZTRD View Post
in 10yrs. the f150 is worth twice as less as the tacoma...concider that, hell maybe even 3x less.
i think you mean half as much or a third as much...

3x as less is confusing...
Old 12-10-2009, 03:51 PM   #7
Taco... since '97
LB Taco has a brilliant futureLB Taco has a brilliant futureLB Taco has a brilliant futureLB Taco has a brilliant futureLB Taco has a brilliant futureLB Taco has a brilliant futureLB Taco has a brilliant futureLB Taco has a brilliant futureLB Taco has a brilliant futureLB Taco has a brilliant futureLB Taco has a brilliant future

Law Enforcement:
Name: J
LB Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMZTRD View Post
X2

I sold my '97 taco in 2008 with 170k on it for $4500, I paid $11000 for it. That would never happen with a Ford. My friend sold his Ram (i know not a Ford, but almost the same) after 2 years, paid over $18,000 and practically had to give it away for $11,000.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:53 PM   #8
lightfire is a jewel in the roughlightfire is a jewel in the roughlightfire is a jewel in the rough
Yes I agree with the resale. I have been looking for a used Tacoma for months and finally realized I may as well get a new one for the prices the used ones are going for.
I was all convinced I wanted the TRD OR. I just think the seats are not comfortable.
AND it appears that TRD OR maintains a certain better resale value that SR5 - may be wrong.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:17 PM   #9
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
F150 is twice the truck with half the resale...sux
If it's for a working vehicle=F150
For a sport vehicle=tossup
If you plan on selling in less than 5yrs=Toy
Old 12-10-2009, 04:20 PM   #10
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
I'm guessing you are a big guy. I love the TRD seats. I'm not sure which SR5 you drove, but mine has the lumbar support an adjustment.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:32 PM   #11
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
I love my TRD seats.

As far as resale. Really? We all know that the Tacoma holds great resale value, but that's a moot point in this comparison. You're comparing a full size truck with a midsize. You should be making a decision like this solely on whether you actually need a full size truck or not. Then choose a truck accordingly. Comparing the Taco to the F150 is pretty stupid IMHO. When I was truck shopping I decided I didn't need the size or capabilities of a full size truck, so I just compared trucks that actually compared with the Taco then.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:09 PM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtav2002 View Post
I love my TRD seats.

As far as resale. Really? We all know that the Tacoma holds great resale value, but that's a moot point in this comparison. You're comparing a full size truck with a midsize. You should be making a decision like this solely on whether you actually need a full size truck or not. Then choose a truck accordingly. Comparing the Taco to the F150 is pretty stupid IMHO. When I was truck shopping I decided I didn't need the size or capabilities of a full size truck, so I just compared trucks that actually compared with the Taco then.
LOL, so it is stupid to compare similar priced vehicles? HA HA. I was comparing comfort, power, and value and I posted my impressions. Has nothing whatsoever to do with "do I need a bigger truck or not." 2 MPG difference in mpg? As I said, I am a long term Toyota owner - I would guess longer than most on this board since I was one of the first in US to buy a toyota 4x4. And I will probably purchase the Tacoma. But it isn't stupid to compare.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:09 PM   #13
WNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
WNYTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfire View Post
...for comfort and value.

With everyone talking about how much better the TRD seats are than the SR5 - not to me. The TRD pinches my sides and the SR5 doesn't. Sr5 did not have lumbar support but frankly the support in the TRD was not as good as a simple half-moon pillow.
The F150 wins this one hands down.
So my ranking is for comfort:
1) F150
2) SR5
3) TRD

Power:
For Hwy driving I am thinking the Toyota V6 will hang with the Ford V8.
So Tie.

Fuel mileage:
Toyota by a measly 2 mpg; both kinda suck, but this one goes to:
Toyota

Value
They both are much too expensive. I went to finalize my decision on which Tacoma as I plan on purchasing next week. Now I am not so sure. I am seriously going to look at the Ford again, since there is not that much difference in price. Hate to jump ship as I have been a loyal Toyota 4x4 owner since they stated making them; I have owned 4 of them.
Value conclusion:
Don't freakin know.
RE-sale is a big one i don't think you mentioned above, but merits consideration.

Ooops, after reading further, i was way late on that one...
Old 12-10-2009, 05:12 PM   #14
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
Resale number one and quality number too. The f150 is nice but I like toyota. I still think it'll last longer then the f150.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:48 PM   #15
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Maintenance is alot better on the tacoma as well. Every ford I've ever had has been a maintenance beast after about 120K. Usually things break around 80k-100k.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:22 PM   #16
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
The new F150s are ugly. Ford basically said, "Hey, where can we slap some more cheesy chrome-ahh, tail lights!"
Old 12-10-2009, 07:32 PM   #17
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfire View Post
LOL, so it is stupid to compare similar priced vehicles? HA HA. I was comparing comfort, power, and value and I posted my impressions. Has nothing whatsoever to do with "do I need a bigger truck or not." 2 MPG difference in mpg? As I said, I am a long term Toyota owner - I would guess longer than most on this board since I was one of the first in US to buy a toyota 4x4. And I will probably purchase the Tacoma. But it isn't stupid to compare.
A Mustang is similarly priced to the Tacoma. Is it valid to cross shop those, as well? I'm not trying to be a dick, but if I'm comparing an F150 it's going to be to other full sized trucks. Also if you're comparing a TRD model you're looking at a top of the line model vs. an entry level of an F150. $30k doesn't get you much full size truck for the money. Personally I prefer to compare vehicles in the same class, that are similarly priced with similiar options. Just me though. If you look at higher optioned versions of one vehicle vs entry level of another a lot of vehicles will fall under the same price range.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:35 PM   #18
CompBCurrie has a spectacular aura aboutCompBCurrie has a spectacular aura about
Coast Guard: LTJG
CompBCurrie's Tacoma Gallery
The Tacoma will beat the ford by more than 2mpg. My friend's 2010 F150 gets about 15.5, I get almost 19. Both are 4x4 double cabs. He has the FX4 package.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:27 PM   #19
Frogdaddy is on a distinguished road

Frogdaddy's Tacoma Gallery
I was in same pickle between SR5 and TRD OR. I thought the seats were nicer in TRD. But for the price and what I was going to be doing with it (more commuting and a little weekend warrior work) I went with SR5. I looked and looked at used and for the price new was the way to go. You won't regret it. But again your choice and you have to be happy. IMO.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:31 PM   #20
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
I bought my 01 just over a year ago for $19,500 I'm in canada so it's even more expensive, but an 01 ford is worth the same as my tires. keep it in mind.