Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

4x4 system

Old 12-10-2009, 05:46 PM   #1
spyshot is on a distinguished road
spyshot's Tacoma Gallery
4x4 system

ok, the manual says to drive in 4x4 mode 10 miles per month to make sure the system stays lubricated. but of course we all know that using 4x4 on dry pavement is a no no.

thoughts?
Old 12-10-2009, 05:48 PM   #2
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
on fairly straight roads under 60 or whatever the book says it will be fine for 10 miles
Old 12-10-2009, 05:56 PM   #3
topgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
topgun155's Tacoma Gallery
You are fine with 4x4 on road. Just try not to take sharp turns.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:00 PM   #4
Make mine a Double!
skistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud of

Navy:
Name: Mike
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery
Its not a no-no, its more of a not recommended.
If you do this down a straight road, you will be fine.
If its raining, thats a good time to do it, roads naturally slick.
If its snowing, dont even worry about it, go play.
The point is its better to keep everything in working order, you will get used to what it sounds like and how your truck handles in 4x4.
I usually do it at the 1st of every month, easy for me to remember.
Did it on my past two trucks, doing the same on this one
Old 12-10-2009, 06:01 PM   #5
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
D-I-R-T R-O-A-D.

I go to a horse park near my house because it has dirt and rock roads and areas once every couple weeks and shift into 4wd.

DO NOT use 4wd on pavement or street.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:16 PM   #6
I want a taco
Jsword is on a distinguished road

Army:
Name: Julio
Jsword's Tacoma Gallery
not to sound like an ass, but if you cant drive 10mi a month in 4x4 why spend the extra cash on a 4x4?
just wondering
Old 12-10-2009, 06:17 PM   #7
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsword View Post
not to sound like an ass, but if you cant drive 10mi a month in 4x4 why spend the extra cash on a 4x4?
just wondering
dude thats the minimal that toyota recommends that you drive in 4x4
Old 12-10-2009, 06:17 PM   #8
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
just wondering
You misunderstood. The OP stated that the owners manual recommends you drive at least 10 miles a month in 4wd to ensure everything stays lubricated. Which is somewhat true. Once every couple weeks I hit the dirt and shift into 4wd and have a little fun.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:21 PM   #9
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
yea 10 miles a month max 4x4 time would suck ass, and be extremely retarded AND impractical
Old 12-10-2009, 06:26 PM   #10
I want a taco

Army:
Jsword's Tacoma Gallery
i know what the OP says, im saying if he cant get out and do at least 10mi a month, why didnt he just get a prerunner and not worry about it
again not being a dick, just wondering
Old 12-10-2009, 06:26 PM   #11
topgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
topgun155's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
just wondering
I think he means why buy it when you can't even reach the minimum number of miles. Alot of money to spend for something that you have to be forced to use.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:28 PM   #12
I want a taco

Army:
Jsword's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun155 View Post
I think he means why buy it when you can't even reach the minimum number of miles. Alot of money to spend for something that you have to be forced to use.

yup!
Old 12-10-2009, 06:30 PM   #13
What would Scooby do?
travelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
travelingman's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe someone would buy a 4x4 for snow? It doesn't snow year round in Ohio.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:31 PM   #14
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
I take Toyota's point, but I'm pretty sure it's unneccesary. I know guys that have pulled 4x4s out of storage after a year or so (deployment) and the things popped into 4Hi with no problem whatsoever despite not having been "maintained per the manual" for 12 months...

Quote:
i know what the OP says, im saying if he cant get out and do at least 10mi a month, why didnt he just get a prerunner and not worry about it
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun155 View Post

This may shock you fellas, but not everyone purchases a 4WD because they love to wheel...
Old 12-10-2009, 06:33 PM   #15
I KEEEEEL YOU

Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
just b/c u dont wheel your truck every month doesnt mean u never need 4x4
Old 12-11-2009, 09:06 AM   #16
spyshot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
just wondering

no snow, dirt or 10 miles of gravel anywhere near me for 9 months of the year. 3 months of the year to have 4x4 to get around comfortably in the snow, well worth the money. wonder no more.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:08 AM   #17
GTVAPSAMTIK has a spectacular aura aboutGTVAPSAMTIK has a spectacular aura aboutGTVAPSAMTIK has a spectacular aura about

Army: Base Defense Systems
Name: SOHAIL
GTVAPSAMTIK's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyshot View Post
no snow, dirt or 10 miles of gravel anywhere near me for 9 months of the year. 3 months of the year to have 4x4 to get around comfortably in the snow, well worth the money. wonder no more.
I am in the same shoes, I am never gonna go off roading. But I feel much safer driving my 4x4 Off road in heavy snow here in Colorado.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:09 AM   #18
spyshot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pd3 View Post
Ummmm rain, gravel, dirt, grass..
lets see, one trip around my house in the grass is about 200ft. that's only 264 laps.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:11 AM   #19
spyshot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingman View Post
Maybe someone would buy a 4x4 for snow? It doesn't snow year round in Ohio.
thank you
Old 12-11-2009, 09:15 AM   #20
spyshot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack48 View Post
D-I-R-T R-O-A-D.

I go to a horse park near my house because it has dirt and rock roads and areas once every couple weeks and shift into 4wd.

DO NOT use 4wd on pavement or street.
are there that many dirt roads still in the US? i've never been on one in my life. i think i'm jealous.