Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

LOUD Clunk shifting into 4Hi

Old 12-11-2009, 04:43 AM   #21
Fortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fortech's Tacoma Gallery
As a rule of thumb I usually take my foot off the accelerator pedal momentarily and coast while switching into or out of 4wd. It eliminates the risk of the rear wheels spinning while engaging and removes the load from the system when disengaging, avoiding that other dreaded clunk.

It isn't necessary, but certainly seems like it allows the system to engage/disengage easier.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:45 AM   #22
roddyrod72 is on a distinguished road
roddyrod72's Tacoma Gallery
Auto 4WD

What about vehicles that have auto 4wd? Wouldn't this cause the same problem? If your rear wheels have no traction, it automatically engages the front driveshaft. My wife's trailblazer has it, but I'm scared to use it. haha. Especially in a GM product. I always use 4hi or low....not that automatic crap.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:19 AM   #23
Demoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud of

Demoncleaner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortech View Post
As a rule of thumb I usually take my foot off the accelerator pedal momentarily and coast while switching into or out of 4wd. It eliminates the risk of the rear wheels spinning while engaging and removes the load from the system when disengaging, avoiding that other dreaded clunk.

It isn't necessary, but certainly seems like it allows the system to engage/disengage easier.
+1, I do the same, make the change where there's no slipping or load on the driveline, and it'll go in/out no problem, no clunk.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:39 AM   #24
NAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant future

Air Force: 12th Missile Sq
NAYo2002's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
Id be pretty stressed about it, lol. id take it while its still under warranty. At least even if there is nothing wrong with it you can have a problem documented before the warranty is up so you have ammo if it fails in a few years...I threw a truck into 4x while spinning in mud once and twisted off the front driveshaft. It was ugly...
Should I just take it to the dealer and ask for an inspection? I have no visible or audible sign of damage so I'm not sure what to say to them. I don't really want to document that I did something stupid either just in case it might void the warrenty.

Did you have to do anything to that truck?
Old 12-11-2009, 09:32 AM   #25
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAYo2002 View Post
Should I just take it to the deal an ask for an inspection? I have no visible or audible sign of damage so I'm not sure what to say to them. I don't really want to document that I did something stupid either just in case it might void the warrenty.

Did you have to do anything to that truck?
If its not clunking now then you prolly got lucky since you were on a slippery surface. I was under the impression it was still making an overly loud clunk going into 4x now.

As far as the trucks with auto 4hi. My Avalanche had it and the Trailblazer i bought my GF has it
Ex if you were driving up a hill and the ass end starts spinning, as soon as you let off the gas the truck goes into 4x and when you hit the gas again you have the additional traction. The 4x ECU on the chevys wont shift into 4x with a load on the gears or if the front wheels are spinning slower than the rear.