Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

LOUD Clunk shifting into 4Hi

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-10-2009, 09:41 PM   #1
NAYo2002 [OP] NAYo2002 is offline
Senior Member
NAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant future
 
NAYo2002's Avatar
Air Force: 12th Missile Sq
Joined: Jan 2009, #12655
Location: Great Falls, MT
Gender: Male
Posts: 489
NAYo2002's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy LOUD Clunk shifting into 4Hi

Okay I sort of did something stupid by mistake. Now I'm just trying to see how big of a mistake it was and how I can fix it.

This morning I was trying to make it into my garage in 2wd, my driveway is fairly steep and snow/ice covered. The Taco wasn’t climbing any farther and I was so close to being in the garage. Impatiently, I switch to 4Hi while I was still giving it gas to make it up the driveway.

That's when I heard a really Loud Clunk. I really thought I broke something. Maybe I did. Do you guys happen to know what that Loud Clunk noise might be? I heard a clunk every now and then shifting from 2hi to 4hi but this time it was much louder.

The 4wd indicator kept blinking for several seconds. I made it into the garage, and it was still blinking. So I decided to make sure it still works. I reversed out of the garage and finally the 4wd indicator stays on. I drove back up the driveway and everything seemed to be working fine.

Later in the day, I put it in 4hi on an icy road to see everything was still functioning. 4wd comes on just fine and I don't notice any fluid leaking, grinding noises, etc. I switched it back and forth multiple times just to make sure.

So the question is: should I be worried? And if so, what else should I check?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:50 PM   #2
Member
dorkman is a name known to alldorkman is a name known to alldorkman is a name known to alldorkman is a name known to alldorkman is a name known to alldorkman is a name known to all
Joined: Jul 2009, #19474
Gender: Male
Posts: 49
dorkman's Tacoma Gallery
Your fine. You have an 09, the 4x4 is just breaking in, should shift in and out easier over time. Mine flashed more in the beginning and made a few clunks along the way.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:59 PM   #3
Senior Member
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
Joined: Jun 2009, #18119
Gender: Male
Posts: 665
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
It was just testing you.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:02 PM   #4
NAYo2002 [OP] NAYo2002 is offline
Senior Member
NAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant future
 
NAYo2002's Avatar
Air Force: 12th Missile Sq
Joined: Jan 2009, #12655
Location: Great Falls, MT
Gender: Male
Posts: 489
NAYo2002's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyone know what that Loud Clunk noise might be? It's 100x louder than the clunk I hear every now and then while shifting to 4hi.

I think it maybe been because I shifted into 4hi in high RPMs due to spinning back wheels. But, what component could've made that noise?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:03 PM   #5
Senior Member
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
Joined: Jun 2009, #18119
Gender: Male
Posts: 665
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
You worry too much. Lol. Sometimes I get it too and hell, my truck is 11 years old. I've got a different way of shifting too compared to you second geners and I've had the issue where it didn't want to shift and I could hear grinding almost. Just be careful and remember, it's a Toyota.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:04 PM   #6
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Yoytoda's Avatar
Name: Roland
Joined: Oct 2009, #23690
Location: Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,128
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
if you were spinning while switching to 4x the clunk was the tcase and front driveshaft engaging as well as the front diff. I wouldnt do it if you value the truck. Only switch to 4x if your front wheels are going the same speed as the rear wheels.

Ex. switching to 4x while moving is fine, but if your spinning in 2x the rear wheels are spinning faster than the front so when you switch to 4x the front components need to catch up... real bad idea...tough on the whole drive train
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:06 PM   #7
NAYo2002 [OP] NAYo2002 is offline
Senior Member
NAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant future
 
NAYo2002's Avatar
Air Force: 12th Missile Sq
Joined: Jan 2009, #12655
Location: Great Falls, MT
Gender: Male
Posts: 489
NAYo2002's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
if you were spinning while switching to 4x the clunk was the tcase and front driveshaft engaging as well as the front diff. I wouldnt do it if you value the truck. Only switch to 4x if your front wheels are going the same speed as the rear wheels.

Ex. switching to 4x while moving is fine, but if your spinning in 2x the rear wheels are spinning faster than the front so when you switch to 4x the front components need to catch up... real bad idea...tough on the whole drive train

Is there anything I should do, or just need to avoid doing it in the future?

Could there be permanent damage and what would be signs of permanent damage?

I'm new at this.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:09 PM   #8
Member
dorkman is a name known to alldorkman is a name known to alldorkman is a name known to alldorkman is a name known to alldorkman is a name known to alldorkman is a name known to all
Joined: Jul 2009, #19474
Gender: Male
Posts: 49
dorkman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAYo2002 View Post
just need to avoid doing it in the future?

Could there be permanent damage and what would be signs of permanent damage?
What you said.

And if so take it to the dealer, if it breaks that easy you should get a refund. Or at least take it in for warranty.

But your fine, go to bed. You can sleep, everything is fine....Obama won the Nobel Peace prize, all is good and well.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:11 PM   #9
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Yoytoda's Avatar
Name: Roland
Joined: Oct 2009, #23690
Location: Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,128
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack48 View Post
You worry too much. Lol. Sometimes I get it too and hell, my truck is 11 years old. I've got a different way of shifting too compared to you second geners and I've had the issue where it didn't want to shift and I could hear grinding almost. Just be careful and remember, it's a Toyota.
Doesnt matter what brand of car it is. gears are gears. The design of the tcase is to engage the front drive shaft. The front drive shaft spins the same speed as the rear. if the rear is spinning and you shift into 4x the front has to catch up instantly...easily cause instant carnage...
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:12 PM   #10
NAYo2002 [OP] NAYo2002 is offline
Senior Member
NAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant future
 
NAYo2002's Avatar
Air Force: 12th Missile Sq
Joined: Jan 2009, #12655
Location: Great Falls, MT
Gender: Male
Posts: 489
NAYo2002's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkman View Post
What you said.

And if so take it to the dealer, if it breaks that easy you should get a refund. Or at least take it in for warranty.

But your fine, go to bed. You can sleep, everything is fine....Obama won the Nobel Peace prize, all is good and well.
ha ha
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:15 PM   #11
NAYo2002 [OP] NAYo2002 is offline
Senior Member
NAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant future
 
NAYo2002's Avatar
Air Force: 12th Missile Sq
Joined: Jan 2009, #12655
Location: Great Falls, MT
Gender: Male
Posts: 489
NAYo2002's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
Doesnt matter what brand of car it is. gears are gears. The design of the tcase is to engage the front drive shaft. The front drive shaft spins the same speed as the rear. if the rear is spinning and you shift into 4x the front has to catch up instantly...easily cause instant carnage...
Well I guess I will just have to wait and see if things start acting funny.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:15 PM   #12
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Yoytoda's Avatar
Name: Roland
Joined: Oct 2009, #23690
Location: Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,128
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkman View Post
What you said.

And if so take it to the dealer, if it breaks that easy you should get a refund. Or at least take it in for warranty.

But your fine, go to bed. You can sleep, everything is fine....Obama won the Nobel Peace prize, all is good and well.
DONT do it again...

Breaks that easy??? its like smashing the gears with a sledge hammer. if it was on dry pavement youd be needing a front drive...

"Obama wins the Heisman Trophy just for watching a single game!!!" cheezy anouncement voice
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:56 PM   #13
Blinking Car Mod...
RedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
RedruM29's Avatar
Name: Kyle
Joined: Feb 2008, #4594
Location: Nor☆Cal
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 624
RedruM29's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
"Obama wins the Heisman Trophy just for watching a single game!!!" cheezy anouncement voice
hahahaa thats great!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:27 PM   #14
Senior Member
GTVAPSAMTIK has a spectacular aura aboutGTVAPSAMTIK has a spectacular aura aboutGTVAPSAMTIK has a spectacular aura about
 
GTVAPSAMTIK's Avatar
Army: Base Defense Systems
Name: SOHAIL
Joined: Sep 2009, #23563
Location: Fort Carson, CO
Gender: Male
Posts: 222
GTVAPSAMTIK's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAYo2002 View Post
Okay I sort of did something stupid by mistake. Now I'm just trying to see how big of a mistake it was and how I can fix it.

This morning I was trying to make it into my garage in 2wd, my driveway is fairly steep and snow/ice covered. The Taco wasn’t climbing any farther and I was so close to being in the garage. Impatiently, I switch to 4Hi while I was still giving it gas to make it up the driveway.

That's when I heard a really Loud Clunk. I really thought I broke something. Maybe I did. Do you guys happen to know what that Loud Clunk noise might be? I heard a clunk every now and then shifting from 2hi to 4hi but this time it was much louder.

The 4wd indicator kept blinking for several seconds. I made it into the garage, and it was still blinking. So I decided to make sure it still works. I reversed out of the garage and finally the 4wd indicator stays on. I drove back up the driveway and everything seemed to be working fine.

Later in the day, I put it in 4hi on an icy road to see everything was still functioning. 4wd comes on just fine and I don't notice any fluid leaking, grinding noises, etc. I switched it back and forth multiple times just to make sure.

So the question is: should I be worried? And if so, what else should I check?
According to the manual you can switch into 4WD 2Hi as long as you are under 60MPH. You should be fine. Correct me if I am wrong anyone.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:29 PM   #15
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Yoytoda's Avatar
Name: Roland
Joined: Oct 2009, #23690
Location: Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,128
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
thats if the vehicle is moving 60mph(all 4 wheels). If the rear is spinning 60 mph and the front isnt moving thats bad news...the front wheels have to be moving the same speed as the rear so the gear speed is matched
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:33 PM   #16
Member
riggsjt will become famous soon enoughriggsjt will become famous soon enough
Navy: SNA - yanking and banking T-45Cs
Name: Jake
Joined: Jun 2009, #18149
Location: Meridian,MS
Gender: Male
Posts: 94
riggsjt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTVAPSAMTIK View Post
According to the manual you can switch into 4WD 2Hi as long as you are under 60MPH. You should be fine. Correct me if I am wrong anyone.
That is correct, if the front and rear wheels are moving at 60 mph. this means all the gears are moving at the same speed just not messed together. if your back tires are spinning at 60 mph and your front tires are at a standstill you are trying to mess a gear spinning at 60 mph with a gear at a dead stop... this is a horrible idea.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:39 PM   #17
Senior Member
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
Joined: Jun 2009, #18119
Gender: Male
Posts: 665
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
Doesnt matter what brand of car it is. gears are gears. The design of the tcase is to engage the front drive shaft. The front drive shaft spins the same speed as the rear. if the rear is spinning and you shift into 4x the front has to catch up instantly...easily cause instant carnage...
I know. It was a joke. I usually shift into 4Hi when I'm moving extremely slow or not at all.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:41 PM   #18
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Yoytoda's Avatar
Name: Roland
Joined: Oct 2009, #23690
Location: Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,128
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack48 View Post
I know. It was a joke. I usually shift into 4Hi when I'm moving extremely slow or not at all.
Oh, well the OP was asking a serious question and your answer looked serious...
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:43 PM   #19
Senior Member
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
Joined: Jun 2009, #18119
Gender: Male
Posts: 665
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
Oh, well the OP was asking a serious question and your answer looked serious...
Sorry. I was mainly trying to tell the OP he shouldn't worry too much about it.

To add, if the problem persists or gets worse, that's when I would take it to the stealership.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:47 PM   #20
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Yoytoda's Avatar
Name: Roland
Joined: Oct 2009, #23690
Location: Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,128
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack48 View Post
Sorry. I was mainly trying to tell the OP he shouldn't worry too much about it.

To add, if the problem persists or gets worse, that's when I would take it to the stealership.
Id be pretty stressed about it, lol. id take it while its still under warranty. At least even if there is nothing wrong with it you can have a problem documented before the warranty is up so you have ammo if it fails in a few years...I threw a truck into 4x while spinning in mud once and twisted off the front driveshaft. It was ugly...
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Loud Clunk: when the 4WD disengages grutzmac 2nd Gen. Tacomas 21 01-21-2014 04:51 PM
sporadic clunk up front when shifting and going over bumps builthatch 2nd Gen. Tacomas 9 04-27-2011 02:41 PM
Loud Clunk when shifting from 4H to 2H... Help? twopercent 1st Gen. Tacomas 5 10-28-2009 11:24 AM
Click/clunk when shifting into Park? petersharp 2nd Gen. Tacomas 7 01-27-2009 06:13 PM
Loud clunk dukestacoma Technical Chat 4 05-18-2007 04:26 AM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.