1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Choice of Security System

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by gnuenglander, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Dec 11, 2009 at 6:21 AM
    gnuenglander

gnuenglander [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4x4 Access Cab 5 speed manual
    I'm purchasing a 2010 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 (2.7 liter engine, 5 speed) with the SR5 extra value package. I'd like to get a security system for it and was thinking aftermarket. The dealer told me that if there were any problems caused by an aftermarket system it would void the Toyota warranty. The listed Toyota system for the Tacoma is the VIP RS3200 Plus. Does anyone have any experience with this system, and does it include a "warn-away" alarm? Any thoughts on warranty issues, or the relative value of the Toyota system vs. aftermarket in terms of cost and features? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Dec 11, 2009 at 8:18 AM
    dktaco

dktaco Yes MAObama is a joke!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    So. Cal (D-town aka Downey)
    Vehicle:
    05' Pre-Runner SR5 6-spd Modded
    5100's set @ 2.5", Wheeler's AAL, Toyota factory trailer hitch w/ a Reese 3.5" drop ball, Gaylord's Tonneau cover, BLHM w/ 35w 6000k HID's, Lumincs yellow fogs, Sylvania 886 bulbs in taillights for reverse lights, Debadged, Dee-Zee nerf bars, Shorty black antenna, 3M rubberized billet grille & surround, Toyo Open Country AT's 31's, K&N intake, 40 series Flowmaster, Redline Racing Synthetic fluid all the way around, Wet Okole set covers, dash mat, Sirius Starmate 5 hardwired, Cobra radar detector hardwired, paint always taken care of the finest products from Autogeek.net and a Porter Cable dual action polisher.
    For one the dealer is full of crap! They just want you to install their product and pay their crazy price for it. Get an aftermarket if you must, but make sure you have quality work done.

My security system is an American flag and an NRA sticker on my truck. If anything happens that is what insurance is for.

lpfe42 likes this.
  3. Dec 11, 2009 at 8:38 AM
    TacticalBacon13

TacticalBacon13 Sorry for party rockin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Dunk
    Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    2014 tundra platinum
    baby seat and a muffler
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. Dec 11, 2009 at 8:41 AM
    NWtacoma

NWtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kent,WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport 4x4
    265/70/17 bfg AT
    the alarm system would have to be the direct cause of the problem your truck has, otherwise it will not void the warranty. tell that guy to shove it.

5. Dec 11, 2009 at 8:42 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    Look up and print the magnuson Moss act and bring it with you to the dealer. Here is an overview.

"A summary of how the law reads:
    Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, Title 1, __101-112, 15 U.S.C. __2301 et seq. This act, effective July 4, 1975, is designed to "improve the adequacy of information available to consumers, prevent deception, and improve competition in the marketing of consumer products . . .." The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act applies only to consumer products, which are defined as "any tangible personal property which is distributed in commerce and which is normally used for personal, family, or household purposes (including any such property intended to be attached to or installed in any real property without regard to whether it is so attached or installed)." Under Section 103 of the Act, if a warrantor sells a consumer product costing more than $15 under written warranty, the writing must state the warranty in readily understandable language as determined by standards set forth by the Federal Trade Commission. There is, however, no requirement that a warranty be given nor that any product be warranted for any length of time. Thus the Act only requires that when there is a written warranty, the warrantor clearly disclose the nature of his warranty obligation prior to the sale of the product. The consumer may then compare warranty protection, thus shopping for the "best buy." To further protect the consumer from deception, the Act requires that any written warranty must be labeled as either a "full" or a "limited" warranty. Only warranties that meet the standards of the Act may be labeled as "full." One of the most important provisions of the Act prohibits a warrantor from disclaiming or modifying any implied warranty whenever any written warranty is given or service contract entered into

This means that, under the provisions of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975, an automotive dealership/carmaker cannot void your warranty because your vehicle has been modified with aftermarket parts. They (the manufacturers) have to prove that the failure was the direct result of the installed aftermarket part. Unfortunately, too many folks have gone to a dealer to have warranty service performed on their modified vehicle only to have the dealer refuse to cover the defective items. The dealer usually states, that because of the aftermarket parts installed, the warranty is void (without even attempting to determine whether or not the aftermarket part caused the problem). This is illegal...period.

Below are illustrations of aftermarket installations that WOULD cause the voiding of a vehicle's warranty.

Example 1:
    You install an aftermarket electronic cruise control. While you're driving down the road, the cruise unit develops an internal short causing the accelerator pedal to depress to the floor and over-revving the engine. After this episode the engine develops an engine knock under acceleration or under load. The car is still under warranty so you take it into your local dealer and they determine that the short in the cruise unit over-revved the engine, causing the rod bearings to spin and causing damage to the crankshaft and connecting rods. In this case, your warranty is void because the aftermarket cruise unit caused the engine problem. Not only are you responsible for the engine replacement, the dealer is within his rights to charge you for the diagnosis. Too bad, you lose.

Example 2:
    You install an aftermarket air dam system to channel more air to the cold air intake system that you installed. The air dam system causes the vehicle to overheat because it restricts airflow over the radiator. As a result of overheating, the engine blows a head gasket and a cylinder head is warped. The car is still under warranty. You take it to your dealer and they determine that the aftermarket air dam system caused the overheating and thus the cylinder head damage and gasket failure. The carmaker is not obligated to perform any repairs under the provisions of the warranty.

Example 3:
    You install a 6' "Personal Snowplow" on your SUV (aftermarket companies are making these plows for smaller trucks). The warranty expressly states that the installation of a snowplow voids all warranty if the vehicle comes in with frame, suspension, steering linkage or any other damage that can be attributed to the plow installation. You go ahead and install the plow anyway. While plowing you drive hard into a snow bank and the air bag deploys. You take it into your dealer and they determine that the airbag deployed because of the hard impact of the plow into the snow bank. But you took the plow off! Yes, but the mounting brackets, winch, and hydraulics are still there, and there is indication of stress to the frame where the plow is mounted. Warranty void! You are left holding the bag (pun intended).

Example 4:
    You install a high energy ignition system along with a special performance chip in your car's computer to increase performance, as well as aftermarket headers (of course you had to disconnect the O2 sensor); maybe you are a street racer. The car is due for state inspection and it fails for the emissions part of the inspection. You take it into your dealer for warranty service to the emissions system. The dealer determines that the car failed because you modified the performance system as well as the exhaust system. Sure it runs like a racecar, but it will never pass the state emissions test set up this way. And oh, by the way, you just voided your warranty because the car was set up for racing and the OEM system was cannibalized.

In any one of these scenarios, if the dealer just lifted the hood, saw the modifications, and stated that the warranty was void based on what they saw (without verifying that the failure was due to the aftermarket installation), the dealer would be in violation of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975. The cause of the failure must be searched out and proven in order for the carmaker to void a warranty."

6. Dec 11, 2009 at 8:51 AM
    bakerla

bakerla Man, Myth, Legend

Member:
    First Name:
    Lyndall
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 4wd OR
    CBI Moab front and CBI Trailrider rear, Budbuilt skids, Shrockworks sliders, OME Dakars w/ OME Nitros, OME 886x w/ OME Nitros, Light Racing UCAs, stainless steel brakelines F/R, Cobra 75 w/ Firestik antenna, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx on 1st gen alloys, Weathertech liners, Engo 9000S winch, stickars and other shit.
    I have the VIP RS3200 alarm system from Toyota. I had the dealer install it at no cost during the price negotiation. It does not have warn away or any kind of vibration or bump protection. It's not as fancy as most aftermarket stuff, but it was "free", and I'm sure it will work when needed.

Attached Files:

7. Dec 11, 2009 at 8:56 AM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB

The VIP RS3200 sucks. I had it for two weeks. Three days after I bought the truck, someone smashed my window and stole some very important documents that were in my truck. Took it to the dealer, had them give me my money back, pay for a new window, and then took it straight to the alarm dealer and had a DEI Viper system installed. Much, Much more bang for your buck.

8. Dec 11, 2009 at 8:58 AM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
    Oh and as for voiding the waranty, they are simply trying to get you on the sale. Any one who is qualified to install a quality alarm system should have you covered. A quality alarm, with a quality install should never cause any problems with your truck.

The dealer is simply full of shit.

9. Dec 11, 2009 at 8:58 AM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    The truck has the chip in the key already, theres your security system.
    i just had the dealer install a remote starter that works in conjuntion with the trucks security systm. Its not a cheap starter install where they just hide the valet key under the dash. It starts the truck, but wont move unless the chip key is installed.

10. Dec 11, 2009 at 9:01 AM
    McJosh

McJosh avidoffroad.com

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler
    Vehicle:
    2005 Reg. Cab 5 lug Tacoma
    Pioneer AVH-p2300DVD, 12" Memphis sub and Alpine MRP-M650 amp, 32" BFG AT tires and KMC wheels, tinted windows, satoshi grille w/ stainless steel mesh, Avid front & rear tube bumpers, Cobra wx75 CB with 3' firestik, GaragePro bucket seats, FlowMaster 40 series, aFe CAI, Black head lights, LoJack and Autopage alarm installed, Avid sliders.
    I have an Autopage Rf 320. I would've liked the toyota VIP one but it was way too expensive for what it is.

11. Dec 11, 2009 at 9:09 AM
    RedruM29

RedruM29 Blinking Car Mod...

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Nor☆Cal
    Vehicle:
    08 trd sport 4x4
    Just enough, and never enough
    I'm getting a Viper 5901 for christmas from the girl so i'll let you know how it is in a few weeks:D

12. Dec 11, 2009 at 9:14 AM
    McJosh

McJosh avidoffroad.com

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler
    Vehicle:
    Pioneer AVH-p2300DVD, 12" Memphis sub and Alpine MRP-M650 amp, 32" BFG AT tires and KMC wheels, tinted windows, satoshi grille w/ stainless steel mesh, Avid front & rear tube bumpers, Cobra wx75 CB with 3' firestik, GaragePro bucket seats, FlowMaster 40 series, aFe CAI, Black head lights, LoJack and Autopage alarm installed, Avid sliders.
    Oh yeah? well I'm getting new bucket seats from my girl.lol

13. Dec 11, 2009 at 9:26 AM
    RedruM29

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Nor☆Cal
    Vehicle:
    08 trd sport 4x4
    o ya well i'm getting a dremel from my mom:p

14. Dec 11, 2009 at 9:31 AM
    McJosh

McJosh avidoffroad.com

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler
    Vehicle:
    pssh, I've had a dremel.lol It's actually my mom's but I use it.haha She has so many tools.

15. Dec 11, 2009 at 9:34 AM
    TexasBlue

TexasBlue Dreamer

Member:
    First Name:
    Kellan
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner Sport, Speedway Blue
    Billet Grill, Roll-Top Cover, LED Interior Lights, HIDs, Foglight On Mod, Coin Tray Holster Mod
    Oh yeah? Well I'm getting a lot more than that from your mom.

16. Dec 11, 2009 at 9:36 AM
    uood8

uood8 If You Search...You Shall Find.

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
    Pretty much stock
    Not all the trucks have chipped keys...mine doesn't.

17. Dec 11, 2009 at 9:37 AM
    McJosh

McJosh avidoffroad.com

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler
    Vehicle:
    neither does mine, but mine is a base. :(

18. Dec 11, 2009 at 9:43 AM
    RedruM29

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Nor☆Cal
    Vehicle:
    08 trd sport 4x4
    your mom is my pin cushion :cool: (but i'm using railroad ties)
    btw my mom is dead

19. Dec 11, 2009 at 9:48 AM
    McJosh

McJosh avidoffroad.com

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler
    Vehicle:
    No she isn't...

20. Dec 11, 2009 at 9:49 AM
    Razorecko

Razorecko Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 Pyrite DCLB TRD Supercharged
    Go to a different dealer. I recommend any viper or clifford alarm systems. Make sure it has 2way & remote start is AWESOME for this winter weather.

Products Discussed in

To Top