1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any LEER cap owners/buyers having problems like I have?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by wolf73, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Mar 19, 2010 at 8:52 PM
    ricoman1

ricoman1 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    GEORGE
    CHEHALIS
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4x4
    Hi Guys,
    Just an update from my Feb 8th post about the poor workmanship and gap in the back of my New Leer canopy that allowed water to come in.To refresh you all,there was a gap in the back between the window and the fiberglass edge down by the tailgate edge.After going back the the local dealer who sold it to me 2 times and only getting the brush off,with him telling me he would "patch" it with some weatherstripping,I contacter LEER direct at the CA. branch.They were great,and called me to discuss the problem.I emailed them some photos.After appx. 2 weeks they emailed and said they showed the photos to their Tech. dept. and the tech dept said IT WAS DEFECTIVE..!!! and that they would build me a new one and ship it to my dealer for replacement..WOW...I finally one against a Big Corp.>!!! SO.....anyone who is haveings a problem,my suggestion..skip the local dealer and go right to the top..deal direct with the company..!!

2. May 17, 2014 at 9:14 PM
    dvdrdclf

dvdrdclf Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 TRD Sport AC
    SNOW

Hey I am noticing some fiberglass cracks on my LEER 100R shell. Most noticeable ones running nearly the length of the rear door. Do you have any thoughts regarding warranty? Or am out of luck as this may fall under the limited warranty?

Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

3. May 18, 2014 at 3:39 AM
    mdcmn7

mdcmn7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    East Coast
    Seems like an issue to bring to leer. I think they told me the fiberglass was a lifetime warranty

4. May 18, 2014 at 3:40 AM
    mdcmn7

mdcmn7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    East Coast
    ytamesub_86026596803f61cfe5081e52a3d2d8930e480232.jpg

Kolter45 likes this.
  5. Jun 17, 2014 at 9:13 AM
    tintala

tintala Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Access 4 cyl, 5 spd
    Still hasnt arrived, the dealer seemed confounded as to why it hasnt come yet.. Also it appears the money I spent is beyond what everyone has listed here, I only chose one option that was the slider window in front... still waiting to hear back from the dealer, where is my leer?:mad: Dealer told me it would be 2-3 weeks. lol

6. Mar 8, 2015 at 10:26 AM
    stein3411

stein3411 New Member

Member:
    I've had a handful of truck canopies over the years. Decided to try a LEER 100XL on my new truck. Wow, what a mistake that was. Both side windows leaked terribly. My dealer made two attempts to reseal the windows, they still leaked. LEER finally sent new windows to my dealer. The windows were installed and worked OK for about two months, then started to leak again. This time when I went to my dealer, we noticed numerous stress cracks in the canopy gel coat. My dealer took pictures and contacted LEER. They requested that the canopy be removed and shipped back for a warranty assessment. The canopy was shipped back and my dealer contacted me one month later and stated that LEER was going to build a complete new shell. Three months later my canopy finally arrived and I made an appointment to have my dealer install it back on my truck. After the canopy was installed we gave the windows a water test with a garden hose. Surprise, they still leaked terribly. Upon further inspection we noticed that both windows had deep scratches in the exterior of the glass in numerous places. We also identified three major scratches in the canopy shell. At this point after dealing with nothing but problems for almost one full year from the purchase date, I requested that the canopy be removed from my truck and I wanted a full reimbursement. My dealer felt so bad about all the problems, he did everything that I asked.

Just took my truck down to another dealer and ordered a SnugTop. I will never purchase another LEER product. I wish I would have read all of the negative reviews, regarding all of the problems owners have had with their LEER's before I made the purchase. How does a company like this stay in business?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
    Atrox1529 likes this.
  7. Mar 8, 2015 at 10:36 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    My LEER 100RCC has been awesome

8. Mar 8, 2015 at 12:59 PM
    DanceswithWolves

DanceswithWolves palabra a tu madre

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Roosevelt UT
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB OR
    My Leer XQ is awesome. It took exactly two weeks to deliver. Paint matches perfectly. Mine has no leaks at the windows or bed rails. I've been through the car wash twice sitting in the bed to test it. Mine was made by Leer West.

9. Mar 12, 2015 at 12:53 PM
    CraigFulton

CraigFulton Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    St. Pete, FL
    Vehicle:
    '13 MGM DCSB
    I just got my first Leer yesterday (I've owned ARE and Snugtop in the past) and now I see I'm not alone. Their support is terrible. They immediately blame me for the issue. The dealer is worse: Topper King of Clearwater, FL. First of all it was like they were doing me a favor selling a top to me. Then when I pick it up they placed their LARGE logo decal on the center of the rear window. I'm not being dramatic here, the sticker blocked my rear view. They never asked for my permission to install it and I was in a hurry to get out of there so I removed it myself later. After 30 minutes of glue removal I find scratches on the glass where the sticker was...and of course, this is my fault.

Neither the dealer nor Leer handled this nicely. Immediately passing the blame on me, but my stance is the sticker should've never been there. I want a replacement window or repair and they aren't offering any help. The dealer claims I should've assumed they would put the sticker on it seeing how all of the tops had them.

10. Aug 17, 2019 at 6:19 AM
    Atrox1529

Atrox1529 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-road DCSB MGM
    Bilstein 5100s w/887 coils. 4Runner TRD Pro wheels. 255/75r17 Hankook Dynapro AT-m tires. Leer topper. RCI Rock sliders. Prinsu rack. Southern Style Offroad bumper
    I know this an old post but it appears Leer customer service still stinks.

In 2016 I purchased a new Leer cap from my local dealer. It arrived pretty quick, I think 2 or 3 weeks. Everything was great, I enjoyed the cap and I have no complaints about the product at all. During the last week of June of this year my rear glass got broken (or just exploded?). I went to my dealer that day and had them order a new back door assembly. Initially the dealer said 4 weeks, maybe only 3. After 4 weeks I called the dealer and at first they acted like they didn't know what I was speaking of but after some back and forth over a few days the dealer said they just have to wait for Leer to build it and deliver it. Apparently they have no way to track orders, which seemed odd. So I tried contacting Leer through the contact customer service tab on their website (in 140 characters or less) and have still gotten zero response. Then my Significant Other messaged them through the Facebook page. They responded, asked for the order number which we never got, and the serial number, dealership name and contact info. Then they said it would take them A COUPLE OF WEEKS TO TRACK DOWN THE ORDER. WEEKS?!? It's 2019. What are they doing? So here I am seven weeks after ordering a rear door from Leer and I still have no idea when I can expect it.

Has anyone had the same, or different experience with Leer? How do companies still do business like this? Do other companies do it this way? Does ARE do it this way? How can I get my cap in 3 weeks or less but I'm waiting an unknown time for my rear door?

So to be clear, I am happy with the product I bought from Leer and would recommend their products but if you need customer service forget about it. It's not like it's a warranty issue or anything, I am trying to buy a new door. That's money for Leer. But instead of getting me the product I want in a timely manner and making a customer happy, here I am writing a negative review about the company.

11. Apr 28, 2023 at 8:12 PM
    smikski

smikski Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 4x4 2.7 - 3 pedals
    skid plates , leer cap , thule roof rack , tires 1 size up
    It’s amazing how shitty a 2000 $ product can be , mine had the windows changed twice cause of leaking ,funny me I thought a cap wouldn’t leak , still leaks a little , dealer was great just sad there not made better

Products Discussed in

To Top