Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

is the dealer ripping me off for service?

Old 12-11-2009, 03:27 PM   #1
jimker55 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jim
jimker55's Tacoma Gallery
is the dealer ripping me off for service?

went for an oil change today and they came back with the following...

(2007 Tacoma DC Sport 92,000 miles)

ait filter $24
rear tail shaft seal $225
Pos Batt cable $59
Front brakes $239

I always feel like I am getting ripped off when I go there....am I?
Old 12-11-2009, 03:29 PM   #2
NWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NWtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
well they dont call it a stealership for nothing.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:30 PM   #3
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
They'll try and get money from you whenever they can.
Next time you go for an oil change, just request and oil change and oil filter change and ask for no other work. It'll be cheaper in the long run to do it all yourself.

I'm surprised they never changed your cabin air filter. They try to get people over this way a lot. Thats over 40 bucks with them.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:31 PM   #4
WNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
WNYTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Does a bear s...
Old 12-11-2009, 03:32 PM   #5
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Im not positive but that seems a bit friggin pricey!!
Old 12-11-2009, 03:36 PM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimker55 View Post
went for an oil change today and they came back with the following...

(2007 Tacoma DC Sport 92,000 miles)

ait filter $24
rear tail shaft seal $225
Pos Batt cable $59
Front brakes $239

I always feel like I am getting ripped off when I go there....am I?
You can check your own air filter for free.
Tailshaft only needs to be replaced if its leaking. Poke your head under the truck, and check for oil drips at the rear of the tranny.

No idea WHY the Pos. battery cable would need to be replaced if it looks fine. Front brakes you can do for about 1/4 the price they charge.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:37 PM   #7
Tacozona has a brilliant futureTacozona has a brilliant futureTacozona has a brilliant futureTacozona has a brilliant futureTacozona has a brilliant futureTacozona has a brilliant futureTacozona has a brilliant futureTacozona has a brilliant futureTacozona has a brilliant futureTacozona has a brilliant futureTacozona has a brilliant future
Tacozona's Tacoma Gallery
Times are tough at dealers. Service is where they make all their money.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:40 PM   #8

they asked me about the cabin air filter last time and I aske why is it priced so high and his response was becuase they had to take out the glove box.
for some reason the battery cable is really crusty so I know it needs to be replaced just wasn't sure of the cost.
Ok thanks for the reassurance, I thought their prices were a bit high.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:43 PM   #9
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimker55 View Post
they asked me about the cabin air filter last time and I aske why is it priced so high and his response was becuase they had to take out the glove box.
for some reason the battery cable is really crusty so I know it needs to be replaced just wasn't sure of the cost.
Ok thanks for the reassurance, I thought their prices were a bit high.
The Cabin filter can be replaced in about 2 mins. Hell....I think I have a vid on here somewhere.....
Old 12-11-2009, 03:44 PM   #10
Never seen Forest Gump
tim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
tim920's Tacoma Gallery
Thank God I found this site. So much DIY things and price comparisons and info on where to get things cheaper.

I bought front brakes from trdparts4u on their ebay store for about $50.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:44 PM   #11

Cabin filter replacement:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...er-inside.html
Old 12-11-2009, 03:45 PM   #12
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah great video and very simple to do. They really get people on that
Old 12-11-2009, 03:50 PM   #13
luvsoffroading
tacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: rich
tacomarich's Tacoma Gallery
only go to the dealer when you absolutely have to. like for a hard to find part and only they have them or for warranty work or tsbs. i like to offroad my truck, so i bought the extended warranty and had to use it once already for my ac. other than that, i agree the stealership is a rip off for all other work you have to pay for.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:52 PM   #14
luvsoffroading
tacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: rich
tacomarich's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
chris4x4 is the man. i was able to replace/clean my cabin filter with the help of his video.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:53 PM   #15

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
I agree, The guy certainly knows his stuff
Old 12-11-2009, 03:54 PM   #16

Old 12-11-2009, 04:02 PM   #17
javajunk-e is on a distinguished road
javajunk-e's Tacoma Gallery
If they did not call you to say that they were replacing the air filter, you are not liable for the charges. I took my truck in at 15,000 miles for the oil change and all the bs things they do. I was quoted a certain amount of money (don't remember how much) when I came to pick up my truck there was an extra $50 tacked on to the bill!! I ask them what it was for and they told me that I had authorized an air filter change. I told them that I never received a call and did not authorize them putting in a new air filter. I was pissed, as I just ordered a Air Filter online that day for a fraction of the cost. All that to say, they took the charge of the filter off the bill and I drove away with a new air filter for free. The stealership is a joke!!!
Old 12-11-2009, 04:17 PM   #18
Fortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fortech's Tacoma Gallery
If a service adviser calls me while my truck is in the shop and inform me I need additional work, I usually ask them to save the old (worn) parts for me to inspect when I pick up the truck. Granted they could have a bunch of old parts lying around to show you. Another option is to tell them you need your truck back ASAP and you'll schedule an appointment in the near future. In your case with the rear seal, I would have told them to top off the fluid and I'll be back soon for a permanent fix.

I would also like to know exactly what they replaced for your brakes. OEM pads are $120 - $130 installed at my local dealer. I would expect cheaper in the US. Is this the first time your front brakes have been replaced?

I do allot of driving and usually end up needing to change my oil every 6 weeks or so. Since I do it myself, I usually take the extra time and give the truck a once over for other issues. 95% of the time I have the problem diagnosed beforehand and just drop it off at the dealer and tell them what to fix.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:45 PM   #19

I am pretty sure I already paid and 10-$15 for the oil change but its close to my office so I just go there. AS for the rest of the items I'll have someone else give me quotes.

as for the cabin air filter, thats how I found this site and changed it myself a couple of months ago. Also, did the fog light anytime mod....which I was thinking about since I bought the truck. this site ROCKS!!