Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Manual Hubs for 05+ Tacoma?

Old 01-24-2007, 04:15 PM   #1
SAM is on a distinguished road
SAM's Tacoma Gallery
Manual Hubs for 05+ Tacoma?

Does anyone know if a manual hub conversion kit is available for our 05+ Tacomas? I tried searching online but couldn't come up with any results for the Late model truck.

It would be nice to run manual hubs to limit unnecessary wear and tear on front driveline components, especially if I decide to install a suspension lift in the future. Not to mention a possible increase in mileage while driving in 2wd without the CV joints turning all the time.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:35 PM   #2
Rocking your mom's world Since 1997
drew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
Did you ever find an answer for installing manual hubs on the new Tacomas?
Old 01-27-2009, 10:33 AM   #3
sonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nice

sonjay's Tacoma Gallery
As far as I know no one makes a kit for our trucks yet. You could contact http://www.dynatrac.com/ and see if they are planing to build anything.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:39 AM   #4
Rocking your mom's world Since 1997
drew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the reply,
I've scoured the web for days now. It's like the new Tacomas are the only truck that no one installs manual hubs in.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:29 PM   #5
Fire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fire931's Tacoma Gallery
At this time they are non existent.... atleast to the best of my knowledge.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:35 PM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
You don't need them.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:40 PM   #7
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
So my friend just put them on his Kia sport age but they don't make it for the yota? WTF?
Old 02-22-2011, 09:26 PM   #8
Me l've got brains.
island808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jedediah
island808's Tacoma Gallery
I thought I read that it was redundant. The axle shafts don't spin in these? Something like that.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:37 PM   #9
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by island808 View Post
I thought I read that it was redundant. The axle shafts don't spin in these? Something like that.
The ADD is only on the passenger side but the shaft piece before the ADD is always spinning. The driver's side shaft is directly connected to the diff so the ring gear and spider gears are always spinning.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:43 PM   #10
Somewhere on sabbatical
mountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mountainwolfpup's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to mountainwolfpup Send a message via Yahoo to mountainwolfpup Send a message via Skype™ to mountainwolfpup
Manual hubs are un-necessary on the newer Tacomas (and FJs). The front wheels are always "locked". Switching into 4x4 simply locks the other end of the shaft. Too bad that is electric :-( A manual one like some FJs offer is far more reliable.. but know what to convert that.

So, be glad you don't need to mess with manual lockers anymore, and saddened that you have an electronic engage/disengage system. I have personally gotten my truck stuck in 4low and locked out of 4wd in single digit temps. In both cases it eventually worked, but caused some frustration and concern for awhile. Imagine having to drive home in 4low, ouch!
Old 02-28-2011, 07:18 PM   #11
Me l've got brains.
island808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
The ADD is only on the passenger side but the shaft piece before the ADD is always spinning. The driver's side shaft is directly connected to the diff so the ring gear and spider gears are always spinning.
I'm drawing a blank.. ADD is what?
Old 02-28-2011, 07:20 PM   #12
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by island808 View Post
I'm drawing a blank.. ADD is what?
Automatic Disconnecting Differential.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:05 PM   #13
Me l've got brains.

never would have guessed that... thanks