Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Battery question

Old 12-11-2009, 08:27 PM   #1
Is there a long john silvers on the island?
TurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TurfTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Battery question

So my battery died today (39 months old) and I have been searching the threads and getting more and more confused. Seems most guys are pushing the optimas or the diehard platinums as the best there is. My question is why would I spend 180.00-200.00 on an optima that has a 3 year full replacement warranty but no pro rated warranty when I can buy a store brand (O'reilly's) for 85.00-90.00 that has more CCA and has a 3 year full replacement AND 84 month pro rated warranty

Optima red top 720 CCA, 36 month free replacement, no pro rated warranty
Superstart Exteme 800 CCA, 115 Reserve, 36 month free replacement, 84 month pro rated
Old 12-11-2009, 08:36 PM   #2
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
The Optimas have that similar "legendary" quality and reliablitly among power users (marine, off road, sports cars, audio enthusiests) and take a beating hard. They're kinda like the Toyota of batteries. They may not have the pro-rated warranty, but very very very rarely would it ever die before a 'lesser' battery.

That said... if you're runn'n stock and not drawing a lot of amps, damn near anything is fine. I've ran costco batteries myself in the past (kirkland) and that pro-rated is pretty nice in AZ.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:41 PM   #4
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodehard09 View Post
i agree. if you do alot of off roading (bouncing around) the optima is probably your best bet
Yea that's another solid point, the cheaper batteries usually have weaker internal segregation walls and can break, shorting the battery out under stress of running hard in the desert or such. Marine batteries can take the most abuse, and I believe even be fine up-side-down.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:47 PM   #5
mixaro is on a distinguished road

Air Force:
mixaro's Tacoma Gallery
ok this is what my friend who works for east coast rover told me (they build custom d90's and basically get paid big buck to make people rovers trail ready) that the new optima batteries are not what they used to be, they stop putting them in their rovers, and switch to someother brand thats like optima. i guess the optima batteris are not holding a charge, and all the great rep that they used to have. i mean i have a red top that i've had for 13 years (yeah it's been in every car i've owned) but i guess from what he and the guys over at ECR are saying it that they are not building them like they used to.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:54 PM   #6
Is there a long john silvers on the island?
TurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TurfTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Well I get that the optimas may be tougher and you can mount them upside down and backwards if you want to but most of my driving is highway and I can buy 2 of the store brand batteries with the better warranty for the price of 1 optima. Just trying to figure out why so many people, even family, is pushing optima so much.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:57 PM   #7
Iron Beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrhodes View Post
Well I get that the optimas may be tougher and you can mount them upside down and backwards if you want to but most of my driving is highway and I can buy 2 of the store brand batteries with the better warranty for the price of 1 optima. Just trying to figure out why so many people, even family, is pushing optima so much.
Yea, honestly for highway/DD use... any old battery will work fine, and save some coin for other mods
Old 12-11-2009, 08:57 PM   #8
WATacoRider is a jewel in the roughWATacoRider is a jewel in the roughWATacoRider is a jewel in the roughWATacoRider is a jewel in the rough
WATacoRider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrhodes View Post
Marketing and reputation.

I had a Yellow Optima years ago in my Accord. Died a little over 3 years later.