1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Battery question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TurfTaco, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Dec 11, 2009 at 8:27 PM
    TurfTaco

TurfTaco [OP] Is there a long john silvers on the island?

Member:
    URE
    Vehicle:
    07 Deer Collector
    285/75-16 BFG KM1's, AVS vent visors, AVS hood shield, pioneer avic F900BT, pac steering wheel control adapter, Boyo rearview camera, pac ipod interface, tinted windows, Toytec 1.5 AAL, Bistein 5100s (front set to .85) Eibach coils, Black headlights, grillcraft black billet insert, N-fab light bar, 4 Hella FF700 lights & color matched grille, Sockmonkey bedside decals. 16x8 MT sidebiters, Weathertechs, Fabtech spare carrier.
    So my battery died today (39 months old:() and I have been searching the threads and getting more and more confused. Seems most guys are pushing the optimas or the diehard platinums as the best there is. My question is why would I spend 180.00-200.00 on an optima that has a 3 year full replacement warranty but no pro rated warranty when I can buy a store brand (O'reilly's) for 85.00-90.00 that has more CCA and has a 3 year full replacement AND 84 month pro rated warranty

Optima red top 720 CCA, 36 month free replacement, no pro rated warranty
    Superstart Exteme 800 CCA, 115 Reserve, 36 month free replacement, 84 month pro rated

2. Dec 11, 2009 at 8:36 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    The Optimas have that similar "legendary" quality and reliablitly among power users (marine, off road, sports cars, audio enthusiests) and take a beating hard. They're kinda like the Toyota of batteries. They may not have the pro-rated warranty, but very very very rarely would it ever die before a 'lesser' battery.

That said... if you're runn'n stock and not drawing a lot of amps, damn near anything is fine. I've ran costco batteries myself in the past (kirkland) and that pro-rated is pretty nice in AZ.

3. Dec 11, 2009 at 8:38 PM
    rhodehard09

rhodehard09 sometimes nonsense is the only sense someone has

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    tampa, fl
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4x4 doublecab
    3" lift, allpro u-bolt flip kit,285/75/16 km2s, hella hid lights, hid conversions for headlights and foglights, led everything, debadged, 9145 reverse light bulbs, black tail lights, black headlight mod,trail-gear rock sliders, dynomax ultra flo muffler,satoshi with custom woven stainless grill,hella 100watt floods in grill, pioneer 4100 in dash dvd player, pioneer 800watt 4 channel amp, pioneer 4way 6x9s, pioneer 4 way 6.5s, 2 rockford p3 10's,rockford power 500.1 mono amp w/bass knob, 7 pin relocated, highlift and mount in bed, diff breather mod, led bed lights, secondary air filter removed,t-rex eyelids, mefab bumper bar, muddy under carriage
    i agree. if you do alot of off roading (bouncing around) the optima is probably your best bet

4. Dec 11, 2009 at 8:41 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Yea that's another solid point, the cheaper batteries usually have weaker internal segregation walls and can break, shorting the battery out under stress of running hard in the desert or such. Marine batteries can take the most abuse, and I believe even be fine up-side-down.

5. Dec 11, 2009 at 8:47 PM
    mixaro

mixaro Well-Known Member

Member:
    maine
    Vehicle:
    02 tacoma ext cab, 2011 trail edition 4 runner, 2013 tx baja dcsb
    02 ext cab cat-back exhaust, k&n replacement filter, 5100 billy's, hellcreek 1.5" rear spring packs, 882 OME coils, Toytec 2" AAl, stainless brake lines, Light Racing UCA, 1" diff drop, BPV bracket, 4" deck plate mod, 886 fog light backup light mod, tom woods one piece drive shaft, spider trax 1.25 spacer.
    ok this is what my friend who works for east coast rover told me (they build custom d90's and basically get paid big buck to make people rovers trail ready) that the new optima batteries are not what they used to be, they stop putting them in their rovers, and switch to someother brand thats like optima. i guess the optima batteris are not holding a charge, and all the great rep that they used to have. i mean i have a red top that i've had for 13 years (yeah it's been in every car i've owned) but i guess from what he and the guys over at ECR are saying it that they are not building them like they used to.

6. Dec 11, 2009 at 8:54 PM
    TurfTaco

TurfTaco [OP] Is there a long john silvers on the island?

Member:
    URE
    Vehicle:
    07 Deer Collector
    285/75-16 BFG KM1's, AVS vent visors, AVS hood shield, pioneer avic F900BT, pac steering wheel control adapter, Boyo rearview camera, pac ipod interface, tinted windows, Toytec 1.5 AAL, Bistein 5100s (front set to .85) Eibach coils, Black headlights, grillcraft black billet insert, N-fab light bar, 4 Hella FF700 lights & color matched grille, Sockmonkey bedside decals. 16x8 MT sidebiters, Weathertechs, Fabtech spare carrier.
    Well I get that the optimas may be tougher and you can mount them upside down and backwards if you want to but most of my driving is highway and I can buy 2 of the store brand batteries with the better warranty for the price of 1 optima. Just trying to figure out why so many people, even family, is pushing optima so much.

7. Dec 11, 2009 at 8:57 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Yea, honestly for highway/DD use... any old battery will work fine, and save some coin for other mods :D

8. Dec 11, 2009 at 8:57 PM
    WATacoRider

WATacoRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    Marketing and reputation.

I had a Yellow Optima years ago in my Accord. Died a little over 3 years later.

9. Dec 11, 2009 at 9:21 PM
    rhodehard09

rhodehard09 sometimes nonsense is the only sense someone has

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    tampa, fl
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4x4 doublecab
    3" lift, allpro u-bolt flip kit,285/75/16 km2s, hella hid lights, hid conversions for headlights and foglights, led everything, debadged, 9145 reverse light bulbs, black tail lights, black headlight mod,trail-gear rock sliders, dynomax ultra flo muffler,satoshi with custom woven stainless grill,hella 100watt floods in grill, pioneer 4100 in dash dvd player, pioneer 800watt 4 channel amp, pioneer 4way 6x9s, pioneer 4 way 6.5s, 2 rockford p3 10's,rockford power 500.1 mono amp w/bass knob, 7 pin relocated, highlift and mount in bed, diff breather mod, led bed lights, secondary air filter removed,t-rex eyelids, mefab bumper bar, muddy under carriage
    yup for the street i wouldn't waste the money

Products Discussed in

To Top