Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rock chip protection

Old 03-05-2008, 12:31 PM   #1
Lifetime Member
CtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CtryBoyInMT's Tacoma Gallery
Rock chip protection

Well I just found my first rock chip in the hood. I was looking around and remembered that this product was popular a few years ago and I haven't heard anything since in regards to quality. Any other ideas, except a bug deflector?

http://www.invisiblemask.com/site.html
Old 03-05-2008, 01:30 PM   #2
Revived and BACK baby!
joedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant future

Army: Squad Automatic Rifleman, 29th Light Infantry
joedirt's Tacoma Gallery
I had the invisible bra applied to my truck today. I'll try to take some pictures of it when I get the truck back. I think they are using the 3m brand.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:17 PM   #3
FMLYHM
zmtnbik has a spectacular aura aboutzmtnbik has a spectacular aura aboutzmtnbik has a spectacular aura about

zmtnbik's Tacoma Gallery
I got my bumper and covered in the 3M Clear bra and haven't had any problems at all. In fact some a$$clown rubbed against my front bumper and the paint from said idiot buffed right off of the clear bra. I didn't cover the hood at all since I have a deflector, but the bumper is still in great shape.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:11 PM   #4
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I realize it has a 5 year warrantee - but.... I'd still be worried about corrosiong & fading. I'd also be worried about what it'll do if exposed to chemicals (polishes, soaps, cleansers, etc) over time. And not to mention - your vehicle's paint will slightly fade over time. The paint underneath this film will probably stay original. So - you'll have a two-toned truck (so to speak).

I was trying to find the details on the warrantee.... but didn't find any.
Makes me wonder *what* is covered under their warrantee. Only the film itself? Or - does it cover a new paintjob to your truck if something goes *funny*?

...sorry, I'm always a skeptic and why I research things sooo much.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:28 AM   #5
Lifetime Member
CtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
...sorry, I'm always a skeptic and why I research things sooo much.
No need to be sorry, I'm the same way! As far as the paint fade, It's always a trade off: Rock chip add up and you need to repaint or add a clear bra and you will have to repaint. UGH!!

I'd ˝ way consider a bug deflector, but around here you get so many rocks in behind it and they literally beat the leading edge into a golf ball texture.

I was curious how well they stand up to pressure washing. In places unlike New York City! we don't have much for car washes. I have some 3M protectors on my motorcycle and if I'm not careful, they start to peel off.

I don't know, yet. I'm still debating.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:02 AM   #6
My other ride weighs 200 tons
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4x4x4trd's Tacoma Gallery
Well I just found my first rock chip in the hood. I was looking around and remembered that this product was popular a few years ago and I haven't heard anything since in regards to quality. Any other ideas, except a bug deflector?

http://www.invisiblemask.com/site.html

A freind put it on their '07 black Camary. Maybe the black, but it has retained the shapes of a lot of the dings that have hit it while driving, and has a chalky look to it as well. They installed it on the front bumper, front edge of the hood, and the mirrors and hate the way it looks now. I just looked at the above link. Wow, about $600 for the full front end of a Tacoma.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:08 AM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtryBoyInMT View Post
No need to be sorry, I'm the same way! As far as the paint fade, It's always a trade off: Rock chip add up and you need to repaint or add a clear bra and you will have to repaint. UGH!!
I have a nice chip in my hood too...pretty deep one too. I've used the Langka paint chip stuff to repair it. I'm almost afraid to give it it's first super duper spring bath.....afraid of what I'll find.

I've thought about a bug deflector too...just haven't researched that enough. I had one on my 96. Can't really say it helped or hindered. It was a cheap mod that kinda looks neat....so what the hell?
Old 03-06-2008, 02:57 PM   #8
trd larry
TRD Larry is a glorious beacon of lightTRD Larry is a glorious beacon of lightTRD Larry is a glorious beacon of lightTRD Larry is a glorious beacon of lightTRD Larry is a glorious beacon of light
Army: E4
Name: Larry
TRD Larry's Tacoma Gallery
I have the front of my truck completely done in the clear bra with no problems. I have used cleaner, polish with no problems. My son in law has the clear bra on his cars, the oldest is 4 yrs old and the bra and paint around it looks good. Don't see any fading or changes in color with the paint under the bra or around it. I had it on my truck beacuse the front of my old truck was a total mess from chips. I already have a few marks in the bra that would be chips in the paint without it.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:01 PM   #9
Lifetime Member

Thanks TRD Larry,

If you don't mind me asking what brand you decided to go with. I know they're a few out there and all probably use 3M to begin with, but would still like to know.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:02 AM   #10
sidewinder is on a distinguished road

Air Force: SMSgt
sidewinder's Tacoma Gallery
Just don't let the $tealership sell it to you in the finance managers office. $300 for three pieces of vinyl?

I have xpel lens protectors on my headlights, they make a kit for the entire front end. I'm so far very happy with the lens protectors. They were a pain to install but I installed them in my driveway when the wind was whipping and the temp was in the high 20's. You will need a heat gun, NFW a hair dryer will provide enough heat.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:00 AM   #11
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD Larry View Post
I have the front of my truck completely done in the clear bra with no problems. I have used cleaner, polish with no problems. My son in law has the clear bra on his cars, the oldest is 4 yrs old and the bra and paint around it looks good. Don't see any fading or changes in color with the paint under the bra or around it. I had it on my truck beacuse the front of my old truck was a total mess from chips. I already have a few marks in the bra that would be chips in the paint without it.
How long have you had it on?

I'm not worried about the short term, but 5 years later (for example).....