1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wheel Damage...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 10toy, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Dec 12, 2009 at 2:38 PM
    10toy

10toy [OP] Active Member

Member:
    OH
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4x4
    So with winter coming I had some Duratracs put on my 2010 DC 4x4. The truck has the alloy wheels. After getting the truck home I noticed that where the outside balance weights were removed the wheels are damaged. I have had alloy wheels before and have never seen this type of damage...almost like the wheels are not solid...

Is this a wheel issue or installer issue? I am leading towards crappy wheels since I have never had this happen with alloys before...

I will try to get some pics tomorrow after it is light...

2. Dec 12, 2009 at 2:46 PM
    dlthunder

dlthunder Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    Sold my Taco
    TRD Skid Plate Rear Seat 11inch DVD Toyota Bed Mat Pace Edwards Full Metal Jackrabbit Nerf Bars Tailgate Electric Dynolock D-ring Bedbolts
    I have noticed that they are putting the weights on the outside now and that it has damaged all my wheels. Seems like poor planning.

3. Dec 12, 2009 at 5:01 PM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    Those wheel weights usually damage the rim as they are hammered on, not removed. There is a small "lip" on the edge of the weight that opens up and conforms to the shape of the rim as the weight is hammered into place. Stick on wheel weights are less damaging, but the darn things are sometimes stubborn and won't stick unless the rim is cleaned up well beforehand.

In addition, if the weight sits on the rim for an extended period of time, road grime and crap gets between the rim and the weight and causes corrision. I change all my own tires as I have access to a changer and balancer but I never put weights on the outside (my own wheels or others).

4. Dec 12, 2009 at 9:08 PM
    2.7taco

2.7taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tan Tacoma Base 5 LUG: Beaten , abused and still running strong.
    Fat Bobs 2.75 lift and level with short AAL, 16x8 Level 8 Guardian Wheels, 245/75R16 Toyo Open Country ATII, custom trans shift kit(home made), Trans temp. and Vac gauge, URD fuel pump upgrade(going back to stock soon).
    Used to work at a NTB some people that drive trucks request static balancing. Basicly ballencing the wheel and tire on the inside lip. If it is done right it will work just fine if not have them rebalance them. Saves the rim lots of wear. OR request an alloy 1 or 2(can't remember which one it is) balance it utilizes a clip weight on the inside and a sticky weight on the inner area close to the outer area not easily visible and again less wheel dammage.

5. Dec 13, 2009 at 5:54 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I do this ^. I hate the look of weights on the outside and with my painted rims they are REALLY obvious.

You can also look into EQUAL- It's a balance system that goes inside the tire.

6. Dec 13, 2009 at 8:41 AM
    2.7taco

2.7taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tan Tacoma Base 5 LUG: Beaten , abused and still running strong.
    Fat Bobs 2.75 lift and level with short AAL, 16x8 Level 8 Guardian Wheels, 245/75R16 Toyo Open Country ATII, custom trans shift kit(home made), Trans temp. and Vac gauge, URD fuel pump upgrade(going back to stock soon).
    EQUAL- I have never heard of it then again our machines were ancient.

7. Dec 13, 2009 at 8:46 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    EQUAL is a product name for Dynamic Bead Balancing. It's a pre-determined amount of small beads that are moved around inside the tire by the same forces that are being countered by the weights...

Another Example: http://www.innovativebalancing.com/index.html

Products Discussed in

To Top