1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

tips on offroading in mud?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tacoballs, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Dec 12, 2009 at 10:32 PM
    tacoballs

tacoballs [OP] member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeffrey
    Reche Canyon
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 double cab
    tail lights, lift, wheels and tires,navagation, subwoofer,viper security and electric start,bull bar with 2 5in light, billet grill kit, and a 12 in tv
    So i went offroading in the mud today with sum friends super fun found hilly fire road with a cliff on one side and a wall on the other so i start to climb and spinn in 4 hi so i put it in 4 low and had no problem but coming down the road i just slid kinda outta control and again the road is narrow luckily i slid to the side with the wall and kinda just slid along itt and there was no way to get out of it any tips on how to not slid . i wasnt like laying on the brakes either.
    thankfully i had no damage to the body of my tacoma=] and this was are faces the whole way down:eek:

2. Dec 12, 2009 at 10:34 PM
    AvsFanTRD

AvsFanTRD Oh gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Off Road Black
    rear suspension TSB, sockmonkey bed decals, weathertech floor liners, TRD seat covers, tailgate pop n lock, rear diff breather relocation, center console lock, Viper Alarm, extra D-rings in bed, 5100's on all 4 corners
    keep it in 4L and put it in a low gear going downhill

3. Dec 12, 2009 at 10:39 PM
    tacoballs

tacoballs [OP] member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeffrey
    Reche Canyon
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 double cab
    tail lights, lift, wheels and tires,navagation, subwoofer,viper security and electric start,bull bar with 2 5in light, billet grill kit, and a 12 in tv
    i forgot to mention i did all that in the thread but thanks for the advicee muchh appreciated

4. Dec 12, 2009 at 10:47 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    coming down a steep grade on slippery mud its best to keep the wheels turning to maintain control. low gear and ride it out, no hard braking. Good tires make a huge difference. Oh and drive slower, know your limits...its really easy to go too fast, lose control, and slide uncontrollably.

Its controversial, but some say in an auto to decend in neutral. This prevents the engine from pushing against the brakes.

Also, a trick is to put it in 4lo and use engine braking to decend, if you start to slide apply just a bit of gas to keep the wheels turning. This will allow you to still turn and maintain control.

5. Dec 12, 2009 at 10:48 PM
    AvsFanTRD

AvsFanTRD Oh gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Off Road Black
    rear suspension TSB, sockmonkey bed decals, weathertech floor liners, TRD seat covers, tailgate pop n lock, rear diff breather relocation, center console lock, Viper Alarm, extra D-rings in bed, 5100's on all 4 corners
    could chain up next time

6. Dec 12, 2009 at 10:52 PM
    tacoballs

tacoballs [OP] member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeffrey
    Reche Canyon
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 double cab
    thanksss i will try that if it ever happens again but i was a little sketched to like hit the gas after im already sliding with a cliff one sidee but i did notice it kinda brought the truck away from the wall . ya it definantly doesnt help att all i have like streeet tiress

7. Dec 12, 2009 at 10:59 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    i went to rowher flats today and there was some slick snotty clay. I managed no problem with my stock dunlops.

This isnt my first truck nor my first time offroading. I pride myself of being an experienced offroader even before it was legal for me to drive on the street and dealing with slippery snow and slick bubble gum clay thatll suck the shoes off your feet... its really important to not lock up your tires whether on flat ground or decending. You must keep the tires rotating to maintain control. People dont realize this and thats why car companies have to put ABS on everything...

8. Dec 12, 2009 at 11:04 PM
    dallas05taco

dallas05taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Plano
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Pro
    low psi on tires?

9. Dec 12, 2009 at 11:07 PM
    TRDSport2006

TRDSport2006 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    02 Corolla
    Where was this at? We have some fire trails up here in Highland and are definitely fun to play around in.

10. Dec 13, 2009 at 8:01 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Lower gear going down hill in slippery conditions isn't necessarily the best option - unless your matching the speed of the truck with the distance traveled.

4Lo 1st gear no gas is great for engine braking down hills (with plenty of traction/no mud).

4Lo 1st gear no gas on a muddy hill....the truck can actually slide down the hill faster than the vehicle is propelling itself. Thus - resulting in sliding down the hill instead of a controlled 'drive' down the hill.

You really have to gain experience offroading to know exactly what gear to be in and how to make those decisions as the terrain changes.

11. Dec 13, 2009 at 8:04 AM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    very well put. This confirm what i meant about lower gear (as i didnt say first) and feathering the gas to keep your wheels turning so engine braking doesnt lock em up...

12. Dec 13, 2009 at 8:44 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    You have a pre-runner. You don't have 4WD.

13. Dec 13, 2009 at 8:47 AM
    HankB

HankB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hank
    near Chicago
    Vehicle:
    06 Preruner TRD Off Road
    bone stock
    Probably a good idea to avoid risky situations like slick mud, hills and cliffs before you have a chance to practice your skills.

14. Dec 13, 2009 at 9:23 AM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    N
    I don't think I need to say much more. What button are you pushing to get into 4WD if you're in a PreRunner?!!?? Does this truck have an oil slick button too? Something tells me you're feeding us a line of bullshit bud.

If you don't know how to wheel, go find yourself a cheap toyota, bronco, or jeep and wheel that. You WILL fuck up your new truck.

15. Dec 13, 2009 at 9:25 AM
    tacoballs

tacoballs [OP] member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeffrey
    Reche Canyon
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 double cab

ohh nicee next time im around there im gonna check them out and we were in reche canyon ?

16. Dec 13, 2009 at 9:31 AM
    frobuster

frobuster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Anacortes WA
    Vehicle:
    '07 access cab SR5 4x4
    juniper scratches, rock dents.
    I'm with blowham 100%...chain up, if you're going down; then at least chain up the rear. If you are on flat, or uphill, then you can try just the front. It may turn the experience into a cakewalk, it may not, but I've never chained up and had it make things worse. (except in extreme cases where I've thrown a chain and did minor body damage)

WAIT a minute....good observation vacountryboy......uh, how do you put a prerunner in 4wheel drive?????? Oy-Vey....well chains on the rear will still help A-LOT, forget what I said about the front if you are really only 2wd.

17. Dec 13, 2009 at 9:38 AM
    tacoballs

tacoballs [OP] member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeffrey
    Reche Canyon
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 double cab
    alrightt thakss going uphill i had no problem and probly coming down it could have been a user error on my part and little experience in the slick conditionss but u learn as u go i guess thank you guys

18. Dec 13, 2009 at 9:40 AM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke

That is one of the craziest ideas for mudding that I've ever heard, but it might just work. I'd hate to clean up after all that shit gets stuck in the chains though. I'd also be worried about spinning them and braking them in a slick mud, but I'm not one to typically use chains in any of my vehicles.

19. Dec 13, 2009 at 9:49 AM
    Afwrestler1986

Afwrestler1986 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Johnstown, NY
    Vehicle:
    01 trd 4X4 ex cab manual
    Gray wire, Some lights in the bed area, and some character marks throughout.
    Pre-runner with 4HI and 4LO huh?:crapstorm:

:popcorn:

20. Dec 13, 2009 at 10:01 AM
    tacoballs

tacoballs [OP] member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeffrey
    Reche Canyon
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 double cab

i need to change my profile when i joined i was kind of a neub and didnt know what to call itbesides prerunner what r the 4 door called? because i honestly do have hi and low

this is my truck...[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top