1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What Have You Done To Your 2nd Gen Tacoma Today?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kwalton, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Aug 6, 2012 at 8:07 AM
    EricGagne

EricGagne Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Montreal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road
    Literider Tonneau Cover, RAM Mount Laptop Support. Uniden CB RTT and awning with self-designed custom rack Dual battery system - National Luna solenoid and monitor, Columbia Overland dual battery tray, 2 Odyssey PC1200 12 circuits Fuse block with 80A macro fuse block "breaker" OME suspension Replaced passenger area with a flat platform for my ARB fridge and camping clothes. Tiregate HG series
    Obviously not all in one day but over the last few weeks I made some slight changes to my truck.

It has been Lifted, RoofTopTented, Hitchgated, Trans4Mered, Dual Batteried and (still in the works) Re-cabined :D

Installing the RTT was a bit of a challenge because I had some very specific requirements. I had to be mounted as low as possible and not interferring with my tonneau cover. I also needed to be able to mount my ARB awning on it. I designed a rack and had it built in aluminum by a local fabricator.

For the Dual Battery system, I bought a Columbia Overland Dual Battery Tray, two Odyssey PC-1400, and a National Luna Intelligent Solenoid with a dual controller/monitor. I wanted a clean installation for this and I had some aluminum inserts left from a pack I bought to install Quick Fists on my RTT Rack. I installed some inside the fender to mount the Solenoid.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The aux. battery was only connected after that picture was taken.

With that done, I started working on the inside. Tacomas are nice truck but an access cab is not very practical when you need to bring clothes, food and stuff for 10 days. So I decided to strip everything in the back and build a nice flat base where my ARB fridge and my other stuff would hold still.

I like playing with Google Sketchup so I first came up with a design and then started building it. At first I was only going to make a fixed base but while I was building it occured to me that I could actually make it so I could still have access to the storage and, most important, the OEM jack. So after building the frame I bought a board of pine wood for 25$ that was already cut to the exact dimensions I needed. I glued some pieces of 2"x2" under it so I can slide it in the frame and it doesn't move side to side. If I ever need my factory jack I only need to lift the cover.

Then I needed to cover the back panel of the cab so I got another board of pine wood, same size as the first one, and I added it to the rear of the base one, at a 90 degrees angle with a piano hinge.

Those pictures were taking during building & fitting. I still don't have pictures of the finished product.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My sister had a bunch of 2"x2" and other "scrap" wook lying around. The whole think only cost me 60$ + tax for the 2 boards and the piano hinge.

I still have a little bit of work to do on this, I'll post pictures when it's complete.

Before I could finish this, I had to take care of some issues on the outside. My truck only has 33K kilometers but 3 weeks ago, when I installed my Hitchage, I realized my rear suspensoin was dead. The leafs looked weird, I thought one was broken so we jacked up the rear, removed the weels and although they weren't brokens, the leafs looked like they had "collapsed". Instead of having a nice arc like one would expect, they were almost straight on the back of the axle and on the front they were making some kind of S, going toward the ground and then up again neer the end. Needless to say, my Taco was almost undriveable, the bottom kept swinging.

So I decided it was time to change the suspension which was only going to be done next year. Since I also wanted to install a winch I needed a heavy suspension in the front but I was not going to install it and then drive without the extra weight for a year so I went all the way and changed the suspension, installed a Warn Trans4Mer and a Warn M8000 Winch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Aug 6, 2012 at 11:42 AM
    Shaunsquatch

Shaunsquatch Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shaun
    Louisville, KY
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra
    Added a rod holder.

rodholder2_d2ffa4ca29379682e22a21fd2d74a1d3f8587306.jpg

rodholder3_c2d3bbddb8dff79f4506457e288a020c7388e609.jpg

3. Aug 6, 2012 at 11:52 AM
    TRDMike66

TRDMike66 Well-Known Member

Member:
    so. cal.
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD SR5 Package
    Bilstiens 5100's all the way around, wet okale seat covers, red led interior lights,Level 8 Guardians wrapped with Hankook Dynapro's 260/70/17 and 35mm caps/black gorilla lugs,sock monkey TRD So Cal Bedside Decals BANKS-Monster Cat-Back Exhaust, Light Racing Upper Control Arms, One of a kind satoshi grille thin lip by Homer Taco.
    Changed grille and headlights this weekend
    before
    before chrome grill and headlights.jpg
    Ater

after black grill and headlights.jpg

4. Aug 6, 2012 at 1:37 PM
    Bobbb

Bobbb "Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    Bob
    Tundra TRD/OR
    Took it to the tire shop to get an 'out of balance' shimmy checked out. One of them was out of balance alright, the damned rim was bent! :mad: Had to crap out coin for a brand new rim so now I have an extra coffee table in the garage.

5. Aug 6, 2012 at 1:39 PM
    RadRed06

RadRed06 Christ Follower

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Flowood, MS
    Vehicle:
    '12 Pyrite 4x4 OR
    Lifted on 33s
    Much better :thumbsup:

6. Aug 6, 2012 at 1:49 PM
    Fiend13

Fiend13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Waddell/Phoenix area
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD O/R DC Prerunner
    Finished adding some accents to my interior

IMG_2131.jpg
    IMG_2132.jpg
    IMG_2133.jpg

7. Aug 6, 2012 at 2:00 PM
    JTyfz450

JTyfz450 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeryck
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB MGM
    What did you use?

8. Aug 6, 2012 at 2:04 PM
    Death_Stalker

Death_Stalker " The Master Ninja"

Member:
    First Name:
    Talha
    Cypress, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner LE
    TRD Pro Wheels BFG AT Tires
    not sure if im a fan but if you like it, :cheers:

9. Aug 6, 2012 at 2:05 PM
    Fiend13

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Waddell/Phoenix area
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD O/R DC Prerunner
    I used rustoleum fluorescent green and then rustoleum clear coat on the tweeter rings and gauge rings. Same thing with the chrome bezel around the shifter and the chrome piece under the shift knob. Just scuffed up the chrome with 400 grit sandpaper then put a white primer on it before I painted it

10. Aug 6, 2012 at 2:06 PM
    Fiend13

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Waddell/Phoenix area
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD O/R DC Prerunner
    Everyone has different tastes and I respect that, granted I think it'll look much better once I get some black Wet Okoles with neon green full piping

11. Aug 6, 2012 at 5:32 PM
    yellowrubiu

yellowrubiu Well-Known Member

Member:
    Empire State
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB 4x4 SR5
    A little TLC...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Aug 6, 2012 at 6:57 PM
    brianv3ntura

brianv3ntura Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville FL
    Vehicle:
    MGM'12 Taco TRD Sport 4x4 DCLB 4.0L 5spd Auto
    Stock for now.
    Quick update:
    got Michelin LTX M/S2 265/65/17 mounted awhile ago... Sold the stock Dunlop AT20 w/ less than 500mi. the LTX's was in the Top 5 Mall Crawler truck tires

Installed Today 8.6.12

Bully Step in the Tow assembly. looks like it will help with rear-end collisions. seems like the car would hit the Bully Step and slide under the truck instead of hitting the rear bumper dead on.
    20120806_185351_98c34803c714f9f797ac883e969ae28e1b74b003.jpg

Tailgate hinge lock. a little fancier looking that the original thread. this is a good $25 investment to help prevent theft. will do the complimenting washer mod soon.
    20120806_185322_dbacd4c8b3117ba0b78e6151724410edebcf7879.jpg

13. Aug 6, 2012 at 7:56 PM
    tacomonazul

tacomonazul Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    SOCAL
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB LT/4LINK
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/227832-my-never-end-build.html
    were did you get the bouble battery set up?

14. Aug 6, 2012 at 11:08 PM
    warren84

warren84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Vehicle:
    2011 S/C DC TRD Sport
    2011 Supercharged Double cab Toyota Tacoma MGM Under the hood: TRD Supercharger TRD CAI 1st Gen w/pro dry S filter Custom glass cover for intake Tundra 70mm TB w/urd spacer TRD Oil/Radiator caps DT long tube headers URD o2 sim Flowmaster American thunder exhaust Unichip Redline elite hood struts Blue sea aux fuse block w/150A breaker Cooling panel with magnetic tray and deleted hood prop Optima yellow top battery Anti dark led engine light Suspension: Maxtrax spindles Icon 2.5 coil over w/res ext. w/icon sleeve Custom 28" Icon rear 2.0 w/res ext. Icon billet UCA Allpro expo Allpro flip kit Steel braided brake line (Red) Icon LCA skid plate Wheeler bump stop Deleted sway bar Exterior: 20x14 fuel mavericks 33x12.50 toyo m/t Spidertrax wheel spacers 1.5 (back) TRD Skid Plate Custom Colgan CF Bra Amp powered steps 35% front 5%rear tint OEM roofracks Color match Bushwacker fender flares OEM bed step LED rock lights Ride controller wireless Weather Tech visors Updated recall headlight with glass dtrl lens T-Rex 2 eyelids Curtis class 3 hitch Philips Headlights and reverse led Ridge grill with 20" rough country light bar Pace edwards powered bed cover Ez down tailgate strut Led bed lights with remote strobe function OEM bed mat Custom shocker tinted pixie glass rear mud flaps 20" led light bar in grille Lower bumper mesh grille Interior: 7" Alpine head unit w/nav 8" Headscreens 10" Clarion sub with custom box 600w planet amp Black Wet Okoles Custom glove box organizers icon billet shift knob LED interior Custom interior grip covers Custom Leather w/red stitching center arm rest Vault center console ultra gauge mx Plasti dip doors Leather wrap door arm rest Carbon fiber interior accents Weather Tech floor mats
    I wanted a different style for my 3rd break light so I ask sockmonky to make me a custom sticker with the Hawaiian Island. He made it with no problem and how I wanted it. Thank you

1750bea6_bac6e604d079afec80fd0816abc82177de3ed8a2.jpg

15. Aug 6, 2012 at 11:11 PM
    warren84

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Vehicle:
    2011 S/C DC TRD Sport
    2011 Supercharged Double cab Toyota Tacoma MGM Under the hood: TRD Supercharger TRD CAI 1st Gen w/pro dry S filter Custom glass cover for intake Tundra 70mm TB w/urd spacer TRD Oil/Radiator caps DT long tube headers URD o2 sim Flowmaster American thunder exhaust Unichip Redline elite hood struts Blue sea aux fuse block w/150A breaker Cooling panel with magnetic tray and deleted hood prop Optima yellow top battery Anti dark led engine light Suspension: Maxtrax spindles Icon 2.5 coil over w/res ext. w/icon sleeve Custom 28" Icon rear 2.0 w/res ext. Icon billet UCA Allpro expo Allpro flip kit Steel braided brake line (Red) Icon LCA skid plate Wheeler bump stop Deleted sway bar Exterior: 20x14 fuel mavericks 33x12.50 toyo m/t Spidertrax wheel spacers 1.5 (back) TRD Skid Plate Custom Colgan CF Bra Amp powered steps 35% front 5%rear tint OEM roofracks Color match Bushwacker fender flares OEM bed step LED rock lights Ride controller wireless Weather Tech visors Updated recall headlight with glass dtrl lens T-Rex 2 eyelids Curtis class 3 hitch Philips Headlights and reverse led Ridge grill with 20" rough country light bar Pace edwards powered bed cover Ez down tailgate strut Led bed lights with remote strobe function OEM bed mat Custom shocker tinted pixie glass rear mud flaps 20" led light bar in grille Lower bumper mesh grille Interior: 7" Alpine head unit w/nav 8" Headscreens 10" Clarion sub with custom box 600w planet amp Black Wet Okoles Custom glove box organizers icon billet shift knob LED interior Custom interior grip covers Custom Leather w/red stitching center arm rest Vault center console ultra gauge mx Plasti dip doors Leather wrap door arm rest Carbon fiber interior accents Weather Tech floor mats
    Had some goodies done last week

d4034c4e_aa4d2fe69951d2b2dd9c376cd2b718cd28d66e31.jpg

16. Aug 7, 2012 at 12:08 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    well few hours ago. washed and waxed her. got home at like 12:30AM. took it down to my moms place of work. so i could pull it inside and wash and wax.

17. Aug 7, 2012 at 4:58 AM
    gov875

gov875 WahooTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Pacific Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport DCLB
    Wet Okole's (front & rear), Weathertech Floormats (front & rear), cheap tailgate theft mod, extra d-rings, low profile toolbox (flat black), Thule Roof Rack (58" load bars), Thule Ski/Snowboard Roof Rack, Blacked Out Badges, Fishing Bobber Trailer Ball Cover, AVIC-X930BT w/ XM & steering controls, 5100s All Around (front set at .85), Eibach Coils, Rear TSB, rear AAL, LR UCAs, Toytec Diff. Drop, Mudflap Delete, Tailgate Reinforcement, Spidertrax (all 4), 285 Nittos, Rear Diff Breather Extension, TRD Exhaust, Powered Rear Sliding Window, DeeZee Bedmat, rear-view anytime mod, trailer bracket relocate, fog light anytime mod, redline hood struts, Satoshi with Homertaco Custom TRD Mesh, Hella 500s behind the grill, Brighter Reverse Lights
    that's sick. nice work.

18. Aug 7, 2012 at 6:32 AM
    acdronin

acdronin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Don't expect everyone to get the humor of this. But it's a way of showing my dissatisfaction with the current political atmosphere
    [​IMG].

19. Aug 7, 2012 at 6:36 AM
    txtrd

txtrd Rookie

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Somewhere Down In TX
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road
    K&N drop in filter, nerf bars, alarm & remote start with 2-way paging
    Sorry, no pics or vids yet (will post later), but I got my FM Super 40 SI/SO installed.

20. Aug 7, 2012 at 6:58 AM
    warren84

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Vehicle:
    2011 S/C DC TRD Sport
    Thank! :D

Products Discussed in

To Top