Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

What Have You Done To Your Tacoma Today?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-19-2013, 08:23 AM   #35981
MY NAME ISN'T WILL
STiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt [again, not WILL]
STiLL WILL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T4C0CH40S View Post
Sounds awesome man, any video?
Hopefully I'll get a chance to shoot some sample videos soon and upload to my YouTube! I'll update asap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denmen View Post
for us clueless types with respect to exhaust styles/sizing for tuning sound/tone at different speeds, where the heck do you start with learning those details? would i just start with talking with someone like catback directly, for example?

what does "WOT" mean?
Honestly, a reputable muffler shop is a great resource to learn from. That's where I started learning from. You tell them the sound/volume/style you're looking for and they should be able to give you multiple options.

In general though, turndown exhausts(like the one I have) before the rear axle sound a bit more bassy in tone when you're in the cab due to the sound bouncing off the ground. They are more susceptible to drone(that unbearable deep BUZZ that resonates in the cab) at cruising speeds if the components aren't chosen carefully---the bigger the muffler canister = the more sound deadening material = the quieter your exhaust will be. Exhaust tip size on these style exhaust systems, as I've learned on my previous Tacomas, really does affect sound as well. The bigger the tip, usually the deeper the tone. Most people don't realize that. Unless one simply prefers this style of exhaust, a turndown before the rear axle has it's purpose as well....to help clearance for rear suspension mods.

"Over the axle" oem style tailpipe exhausts that where the exhaust tip(s) sits behind the rear tire are less susceptible to drone. Usually higher tone and more rasp at wide open throttle(WOT). This isn't a bad thing either. Most people go with this style as they are direct bolt on and with much more options in the aftermarket.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:25 AM   #35982
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
teneighty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by STiLL WILL View Post
Sold the TRD catback to a friend, and decided to do a little something different....

I got the front pipe of a URD Mk2 3" catback and had my muffler guy create a custom full 3" turndown exhaust dumping right before the rear axle.

Being that this exhaust would be a full 3" to turndown, I opted for the biggest canister I could fit----chose a Magnaflow #12579. Canister is 5" thick, 11" wide, 22" long. Center inlet/center outlet. I had him put a 4" turndown to keep the tone as deep as possible

Installed pics

Freaking LOVE how this thing sounds. Very little drone---not anymore than the TRD Catback. It's louder than the TRD Catback but only in the way that its a lot more deep and throaty. At WOT, it sounds beefy! Best part, it's only loud when I want it to be loud. At idle, it's actually quieter than the TRD catback.

Lets hear it!!!
Old 07-19-2013, 08:41 AM   #35983
The Past Through Tomorrow
JohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny
JohnnyWayne's Tacoma Gallery
Flat-blacked my exhaust with Krylon Hi-Temp

Old 07-19-2013, 09:51 AM   #35985
TCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TCprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
My guess is that it would look like a black trd tail pipe
Old 07-19-2013, 09:53 AM   #35986
Tee Arghhhhhh Dee is on a distinguished road

Name: Jay
Tee Arghhhhhh Dee's Tacoma Gallery
I drove her to work and diligently parked her on the very top level of the parking garage where no one dares to travel. She doesn't play well with others.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:31 AM   #35987
j0sh is one of the sharper tools in the shedj0sh is one of the sharper tools in the shedj0sh is one of the sharper tools in the shedj0sh is one of the sharper tools in the shedj0sh is one of the sharper tools in the shedj0sh is one of the sharper tools in the shedj0sh is one of the sharper tools in the shedj0sh is one of the sharper tools in the shedj0sh is one of the sharper tools in the shedj0sh is one of the sharper tools in the shedj0sh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

j0sh's Tacoma Gallery
Battery died on me so replaced it with a new Autocraft Platinum AGM
Old 07-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #35988
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by j0sh View Post
Battery died on me so replaced it with a new Autocraft Platinum AGM
But you have a 2010. Battery warranty doesn't go by mileage. It's prorated and I believe it's 84 month.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:54 AM   #35989
denmen is a jewel in the roughdenmen is a jewel in the roughdenmen is a jewel in the roughdenmen is a jewel in the rough

Name: Dennis
denmen's Tacoma Gallery
thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns View Post
Wide Open Throttle!
Old 07-19-2013, 10:55 AM   #35990
denmen is a jewel in the roughdenmen is a jewel in the roughdenmen is a jewel in the roughdenmen is a jewel in the rough

denmen's Tacoma Gallery
thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmurder View Post
Wide Open Throttle = "stomp'n on the gas pedal"
Old 07-19-2013, 10:58 AM   #35991

denmen's Tacoma Gallery
reached 2400 miles, averaging 18.9 mpg ... lovin' the tacoma, for sure!!!!!
Old 07-19-2013, 10:58 AM   #35992
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
Oil change and tire rotation.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #35993

denmen's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up does aftermarket exhaust impact included toyota warranty?

thanks, very helpful (first-hand) info...

would toyota need to install the exhaust in order for it to still be covered by toyota warranty/maintenance program? would you know this? (i should ask the dealer directly, anyways)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by STiLL WILL View Post
Hopefully I'll get a chance to shoot some sample videos soon and upload to my YouTube! I'll update asap.

Honestly, a reputable muffler shop is a great resource to learn from. That's where I started learning from. You tell them the sound/volume/style you're looking for and they should be able to give you multiple options.

In general though, turndown exhausts(like the one I have) before the rear axle sound a bit more bassy in tone when you're in the cab due to the sound bouncing off the ground. They are more susceptible to drone(that unbearable deep BUZZ that resonates in the cab) at cruising speeds if the components aren't chosen carefully---the bigger the muffler canister = the more sound deadening material = the quieter your exhaust will be. Exhaust tip size on these style exhaust systems, as I've learned on my previous Tacomas, really does affect sound as well. The bigger the tip, usually the deeper the tone. Most people don't realize that. Unless one simply prefers this style of exhaust, a turndown before the rear axle has it's purpose as well....to help clearance for rear suspension mods.

"Over the axle" oem style tailpipe exhausts that where the exhaust tip(s) sits behind the rear tire are less susceptible to drone. Usually higher tone and more rasp at wide open throttle(WOT). This isn't a bad thing either. Most people go with this style as they are direct bolt on and with much more options in the aftermarket.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:36 AM   #35995
MassAppeal16 is on a distinguished road
MassAppeal16's Tacoma Gallery
had my wheel bearing replaced, and am searching the boards for BHLM's!
Old 07-19-2013, 12:07 PM   #35996
PepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Aerial Porter
Name: Kolt
PepsiManKolt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post
Updated some photos from our latest trip out to Ocotillo Wells.

Thats tight. I would love to do something like this when my truck is done.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:05 PM   #35999
MY NAME ISN'T WILL
STiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt [again, not WILL]
STiLL WILL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by denmen View Post
thanks, very helpful (first-hand) info...

would toyota need to install the exhaust in order for it to still be covered by toyota warranty/maintenance program? would you know this? (i should ask the dealer directly, anyways)...
NP.

To answer your question, no, the dealer does not need to install any catback exhaust to maintain your warranty. It's not cut and dry that they(dealer/mfgr) 100% WON'T EVER deny a powertrain failure warranty claim because you installed an aftermarket catback, but the burden is more on them to prove the failure was directly caused by the catback.

Toyota will more than likely not void your warranty for an aftermarket catback....UNLESS they can prove that it was the cause for failure for any powetrain warranty claim---like your stock engine blows up after installing it[highly unlikely]. Being that it comes AFTER the catalytic converters(aka not modifying any factory emissions equipment), it shouldn't pose as an issue at the dealer. I have yet to see an aftermarket exhaust(usually LESS restrictive than stock) proven to be the culprit of a warranty issue on the powertrain side.....now, one exception COULD be trying to warranty a burnt quarter panel or something aesthetic which in that case your warranty claim would be denied because the aftermarket exhaust caused it.

Some dealer service departemtns are more picky than others. With that said, caveat emptor.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:01 PM   #36000
Eltacos is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement: Officer
Eltacos's Tacoma Gallery
Had a close call at a gas station. I avoided the other driver but I didn't have enough clearance from the building when I swerved. Only thing missing is the fender flare for the passenger side. All work was done in my driveway with the help of the wife. It took 2 days working in the morning as the heat shut us down. 113°.
Attached Thumbnails
What Have You Done To Your Tacoma Today?-img_20130718_093658.jpg   What Have You Done To Your Tacoma Today?-img_20130718_093707.jpg   What Have You Done To Your Tacoma Today?-img_20130718_110744.jpg   What Have You Done To Your Tacoma Today?-img_20130719_071000.jpg   What Have You Done To Your Tacoma Today?-img_20130719_112546.jpg  

Products Discussed in this Thread