LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Chipping Paint

Old 12-13-2009, 05:03 AM   #1
Shades_Of_Red will become famous soon enough

Shades_Of_Red's Tacoma Gallery
Chipping Paint

Any of you guys that own an 09/10, have you had any problems so far with the paint chipping along the bottom of the door, rocker panels and front rear fender in front of the back tire?

I had a few other Toyota pick-ups over the years and had the above problem with each of them, usually do to the road salt flying up in the winter. On my 07 Tundra, I installed a set of 5" wide step bars and noticed that they prevented this from happening on the Tundra but on that truck I actually used them to get in and out.

On my 09 Tacoma I just installed the same step bars just for the paint protection because they are not needed for me to climb into this truck so I have to step over them. I would rather not have any step bar or running board at all but I installed them just for the paint protection. I just wondered if there was a change with the 09 paint being that there were some new colors added.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:38 AM   #2
TRIFECTA!!!
swise is a splendid one to beholdswise is a splendid one to beholdswise is a splendid one to beholdswise is a splendid one to beholdswise is a splendid one to beholdswise is a splendid one to beholdswise is a splendid one to behold

swise's Tacoma Gallery
I have chips over the rear fender flare, but I suspect its from my wifes rear car door slamming into it when she opens it up. I just put touch up on the chip to prevent it from growing.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:43 AM   #3
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
Not on the areas you mentioned but my front bumper has quite a few
Old 12-13-2009, 02:55 PM   #4
BLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tim
BLKTRD6SP's Tacoma Gallery
Half way up my doors and tailgate!?! Kind of defies the laws of physics. I believe the ones on the tailgate are from towing the boat on gravel roads which is only about 30 mph. And also the lower front of the rear wheel flares.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:02 PM   #5
50ate is on a distinguished road
50ate's Tacoma Gallery
my mgm 09s rockers are thrashed from rock chips and such.. the paint sucks
Old 12-14-2009, 05:21 PM   #6
Shades_Of_Red will become famous soon enough

Shades_Of_Red's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50ate View Post
my mgm 09s rockers are thrashed from rock chips and such.. the paint sucks
In my experience, that has been a problem for a long time, not just on the 05+ Tacomas. My 95 pick-up did it, my 96 Tacoma chiiped along the bottom bad and the dealer sprayed a heavier chip guard along the bottom. It helped some but still ended up chipping.

I think it might have something to do with the shape or curve of the lower body panels. The way they have always curved in at the bottom on Toyota trucks.

I see other brand of trucks and SUV's that don't even have mudflaps installed and they aren't chipped up on the bottom like that, but the lower body doens't curve in like the Toyota's either.