1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I changed oil to Pennzoil synthetic today. I "feel" a difference

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ERdept, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Mar 5, 2008 at 9:02 PM
    ERdept

ERdept [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm quite self-aware and know when I want things to happen, such as expectations that a synthetic oil will perform better.

But, I did, as objectively as possible perceive that the Taco ran smoother, and the engine revved more willingly on the synthetic than the regular oil.

I can in no way measure the differences, but I do know that I'm not swayed by an expectation or feeling that the Pennzoil (substitute Mobile One, if the Penz wasn't cheaper) was going to do it better.

I really do feel that the engine wound up more freely after the oil change w/o my personal notions that it would do so aside.

Again, can't verify it in any way, but it just seems to run better now.

2. Mar 6, 2008 at 3:06 AM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    How closely do you track your gas mileage? I'm really interested to see if you get an improvement.

3. Mar 6, 2008 at 3:31 AM
    Mudbug

Mudbug Well-Known Member

Member:
    Amsoil 0w-20 engine oil and Amsoil Full synthetic 75w-90 in the Transmission, transfer case, front and rear Differentials. AFE Cold Air Intake
    It will run smoother with synthetic. Most definately. It's not in your head.

4. Mar 6, 2008 at 5:38 AM
    Demoncleaner

Demoncleaner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    05 Dcab 6spd 4x4 TRD Sport w/Tow
    TRD exhaust Homemade bed mat & bed extender, front Drings, Short clutch throw, Summer: Stock 17's Winter: Blizzaks on 16' black steelies
    I've been running Pennzoil platinum for 2 years now. Seat of pants, no diff, but noticed a slight increase in mpg during winter, probably due to its better cold flow vs conventional. $19 for 5Qt, I'm staying with it.

5. Mar 6, 2008 at 10:56 AM
    ERdept

Member:

I used to write down my mileage and fill-up amounts on a note pad log, but don't do this anymore.

So, I have no benchmark after the change.

But now, I love starting the engine and feeling it run. Besided the funny tick that's still there, it is indeed smoother and just is more free revving.

Oh, also added the K&N oil filter too.

6. Mar 6, 2008 at 3:14 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    pennzoil platinum is damned good oil.....its what i run!!!(in the tacoma and the honda)

7. Mar 6, 2008 at 3:53 PM
    tacotoe

tacotoe Pastry Chef

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    `17 AC Sport MT
    ARE Topper, Icon aal, OEM Audio+
    When I changed to Mobil 1 at 4k mi. I noticed that the the truck no longer seemed to have a "power band". I know this sounds strange but....before switching to the synthetic from approx 3k rpm up to about 4500 rpm I could feel the truck pulling harder (accellerating more) while keeping the gas pedal steady. After switching over to syn. it no longer did that or at least not nearly as noticable. Anyone whoes ridden a two stroke dirt bike will know what I mean by power band.

8. Mar 6, 2008 at 4:12 PM
    45longcolt

45longcolt Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW Area
    Vehicle:
    2020 Off Road
    I have taken the synthetic oil from an oil change, ran it through paper towels to clean it up some and then put it in the lawnmower engine. The engine ran faster, so much you could hear the difference! So you are not feeling anything weird, synthetic oil just works better, period.

9. Mar 6, 2008 at 4:25 PM
    ERdept

Member:
    Thanks 45LC. I knew that I wasn't going crazy or just imagining things.

I really do objectively feel it revs more easily.

I remember starting it in the a.m. and having to step down more to get to the first stoplight of my same repetitive trip to work.

Now, I can feel that it just revs up to that speed more easily and willingly.

I know my drive and how the car drives.

10. May 29, 2008 at 7:07 AM
    SharkMan

SharkMan Carolina Alliance: Citadel Div

Member:
    Charleston SC
    Vehicle:
    2008 FJ Cruiser Play N Trade Ed
    I started running Royal Purple a few months ago and have noticed the best performance yet after trying various types of synthetic over the years. The best price I've seen is $6.72 a quart but its pretty comparable to Mobile 1 in price at most stores.

11. May 29, 2008 at 7:13 AM
    99TRD

99TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 Tacoma TRD OR DC Auto V6
    Smoke headlights, improved LED tail lights...Pending: De-chrome badges and grille, new tires
    I have heard that the Royal Purple is the good stuff through threads on this forum.

My question is, my 06 has 50K miles. Is it ok to switch now?

12. May 29, 2008 at 7:35 AM
    M2M

M2M Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    bilstiens, sport 08 w/o scoop, debadged
    does any body remember graphite oil ??
    now that was something you did not want to put in an old engine

13. May 29, 2008 at 9:03 AM
    flavalk

flavalk 2-Broke 2-Care

Member:
    Orlando, Florida via Huntsville, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab 2WD - Short Bed - Automatic- Silver Mica
    Not much. Toyota bed mat, Toyota step bars, tinted windows, Toyota seat covers, Toyota all-weather mats, quart of Wild Turkey in the glove box, KelTec PT3AT in the center console, backseat full of old speeding tickets
    I was tracking my mileage religiously for the first 5,000 miles and was consistantly getting 17.6-17.8 mpg in town, back and forth to work. At the first oil change, I used Pennzoil Platnium and and noticed that mpg increased to 18.1 - 18.3 and has remained there since (15,000 on the truck now). Every little bit helps.

'07 PreRunner V6 Double Cab 2wd

14. May 29, 2008 at 9:53 AM
    BigRed

BigRed Member

Member:
    Durham, NC
    Vehicle:
    06' 4X4, Double Cab, Long Bed, SR5
    faux mod, aka suspension TSB
    I bought my truck used with 20K miles on it. At the first oil change I put in Shell full synthetic (BJ's Warehouse Club has it for $20 for six quarts). I immediatly noticed that the engine ran smoother and more quiet. I also noticed that even when it hits 5000 miles and time for the next oil change the engine is still running quiet. When using conventional oil in previous vehicles I've owned you could tell when you were getting close to 3000 miles just from the way the engine sounded and felt.

15. May 29, 2008 at 11:11 AM
    hondabuster

hondabuster Active Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    08 reg cab 4x2
    Tinted window,vent shades
    Its all in your head. Weve been conditioned to believe marketing hype and so called branding. Go to Europe and youll see how nuerotic Americans have become. Whatever little decrease in drag or frictions isnt gonna be noticed by seat of the pants.. and maybe not even on a dyno. There probably is a difference, but not easily measured.
    Its just like the guys who put fuel line magnets on...and notice the change in milage. Theres all kinds of ways to do a blind study on this, and prove its all mind, and not oil...or magnets...or air tornados or whatever.

16. May 29, 2008 at 11:44 AM
    99TRD

99TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 Tacoma TRD OR DC Auto V6
    Smoke headlights, improved LED tail lights...Pending: De-chrome badges and grille, new tires
    Go to Europe and see how neurotic Americans have become?

That is a BS statement. Since when do we compare ourselves to or even give a s%$t what Europeans think of us?

Watch the news. Europe is tanking. Crap economy, population dropping like a rock and piss poor immigration integration. Who gives a single god damn what they think of us???

17. May 29, 2008 at 12:14 PM
    ANDYTACOMA

ANDYTACOMA NOMAD

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab trd offroad 4x4 black sand pe
    fog light mod /parking light mod /after market stereo /bed lights/yeasu ft8700/uniden bct15

anybody who has ever paid attention to there engine knows what you mean by power band (The power band which refers to the range of operating speeds under which the engine is able to operate efficiently) unless you drive a honda!:eek::eek::D

18. May 29, 2008 at 3:04 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....

definitely!! you can actually switch to synthetic on the first oil change and it wont hurt anything.

19. May 29, 2008 at 3:30 PM
    TorenApart

TorenApart Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab SR5 TRD Sport
    Toytec Ultimate Lift Kit, OME Nitrocharger shocks and Dakar leafs, Total Chaos UCA's, 18'' Black XD Monster, 285/60R18 Cooper Zeon LTZ, Leer shell, OEM Skid Plate, Weather Tech Floor Mats, Lund Tonneau, Custom 2-tone gray leather, Aero Turbine 2525 muffler with AR25 resonator, Aero Turbine Exhaust Tip, Mr. Marv subwoofer enclosure w/ 2 JL 10W3v2's, AFE Pro Dry S, Eclipse AVN-6620, Pioneer PRS-D2100T, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5'' Front Components, Black Headlight Mod, Tinted tail lights, PL5300 with Eclipse BEC-109
    I agree, many Americans are neurotic and being in Europe that becomes even more obvious... it's tough to generalize an entire country though

As far as synthetic vs. regular oils... hands down, synthetic is worth the extra cost in every way

20. May 29, 2008 at 6:09 PM
    hondabuster

hondabuster Active Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    08 reg cab 4x2
    Tinted window,vent shades
    Obviously you havent been to Europe, but the euro is up almost 75%, compared the the good old US buck. Whos economy is tanking?
    People in Europe do and talk about whats important, like life and family....theres not alot of talk about oil and spark plugs.:D

Products Discussed in

To Top