Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tacoma Prerunner ride quality? / my pickup repaired

Old 03-06-2008, 08:31 AM   #1
cycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to behold
cycledrum's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma Prerunner ride quality? / my pickup repaired

Just got my '88 4WD pickup head gasket replaced before things became a big problem. Running much better, except the ride is so jarring on rough pavement. I replaced the shocks not too long ago.

So, I wonder, are the Tacomas anywhere near as bad ride quality as an '88 4x4 pickup?

I know the Tacosl have a truck frame and solid axle, so I tell myself, 'if you get a Tacoma, sooner or later it'll ride like this one'. But, there are so many Tacomas around.

So, I'm thinking fuggit, don't get a truck unless you absolutely need a truck bed. Even then, can rent a trailer and hook it to an SUV.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:42 AM   #2
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
My truck ride is not jarring at all. Going over super rough pavement you can feel it, yeah, but no more than I would consider normal for a truck.

I doubt I will ever buy another vehicle that isn;t a truck. And if I do it'll be an FJ.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:42 AM   #3
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
I had a 05 Pre-Runner and it road like a luxury car campared to the 98 Taco 4x4 that I traded it in on. The ride was night and day, my wife used to hate ridding in my 98 Taco but she loved the 05. My current truck rides rough as hell.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:56 AM   #4
cycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to behold
cycledrum's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer J View Post
I had a 05 Pre-Runner and it road like a luxury car campared to the 98 Taco 4x4 that I traded it in on. The ride was night and day, my wife used to hate ridding in my 98 Taco but she loved the 05. My current truck rides rough as hell.
why is your X-runner so rough? just curious
Old 03-06-2008, 11:04 AM   #5
WildcaTaco is on a distinguished road
WildcaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
FJ cruisers just FYI got put in Consumer Reports top 10 worst vehicles of the year.

Back on topic by 06 prerunner rides well for a truck, I have a true car and it rides softer but it's also a car. I think my truck rides smoother then my dads 03 jeep grand Cherokee though.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:29 AM   #6
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
why did the FJ get such a bad rating? do you have a link you could post?
Old 03-06-2008, 12:21 PM   #7
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycledrum View Post
why is your X-runner so rough? just curious
Between the sport suspension and the 255\45\18s its pretty rough ride. Not terrible rough but not as smooth as a car.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:22 PM   #8
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
I think it's a good ride. I've owned trucks for years but my last vehicle was an '05 Altima 3.5SE and I don't think the Tacoma is any better or worse than that in ride comfort. It's definitely better than the Rangers or Explorer I've owned in the past, though.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:58 PM   #9
jpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NDT/QA
Name: Jimmy
jpmorrisvb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycledrum View Post
Just got my '88 4WD pickup head gasket replaced before things became a big problem. Running much better, except the ride is so jarring on rough pavement. I replaced the shocks not too long ago.

So, I wonder, are the Tacomas anywhere near as bad ride quality as an '88 4x4 pickup?
I am not trying to sound like a smart ass (so don't get me wrong) but heck no.

The advancements in the 20 years since your 1988 was new off the showroom floor are incredible. Now, think about the miles you have driven in those 20 years ... putting wear and tear on every suspension/body part. Changing out the shocks may have helped but there are other components to consider.

I went from a 1994 to a 2006 and thought I was in heaven ... and didn't pay too much more for the 2006 than the 1994.

Although it is still a truck the ride is incredible.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:07 PM   #10
WildcaTaco is on a distinguished road
WildcaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
why did the FJ get such a bad rating? do you have a link you could post?
http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2008/...st_cars/6.html
Old 03-06-2008, 06:29 PM   #11
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcaTaco View Post
8 out of 11 are domestic. Pathetic. I am surprised to see two Toyota's on there, though. In comparison, 10 best has 1 domestic which is equally pathetic.