Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Speedometer correction..

Old 03-06-2008, 11:27 AM   #1
Bill in Ky is a jewel in the roughBill in Ky is a jewel in the roughBill in Ky is a jewel in the roughBill in Ky is a jewel in the rough

Bill in Ky's Tacoma Gallery
Speedometer correction..

In 2 miles of driving my odometer will gain 1/10 of a mile. Am I
correct in saying that my speedometer and odometer are 5% fast. If so if my speedometer says 50 I am actually doing 55, if it says 100 I am doing 110. Correct me if I am wrong.
Can a dealer correct the speedometer?
Thanks guys!
Old 03-06-2008, 12:02 PM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
My speedo (in dash) reads 2mph fast according to my GPS. With the Scangauge II hooked up, it's actually accurate to the GPS. So - the dash output is calibrated slightly off.

I did a slow test mile and I think I was .02 mile off in one mile. Again - comparing my trip odometer with the GPS.

Not sure about the dealer making corrections - have you called them to ask?

You can make changes if you have a Scangauge II, but I'm not sure if that's only a 'Scangauge output' or if it changes the readings in the actual calculations within the computer. ???

Anyone?
Old 03-06-2008, 12:13 PM   #3
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
Correcting through the Scangauge only corrects the scangauge. It has no controll over the output to the dash. However, if you are running a scangauge you still need to correct the speedo as it uses that data in some of it's other calculations.

My speedometer was dead on according to my GPS, and after I corrected the Scangauge all three devices (dash, Scangauge, and GPS) agreed.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:34 PM   #4
Bill in Ky is a jewel in the roughBill in Ky is a jewel in the roughBill in Ky is a jewel in the roughBill in Ky is a jewel in the rough

Bill in Ky's Tacoma Gallery
Red face

You are right Phantom, thank you

I guess I thought 10% was easier to figure
Old 03-06-2008, 04:45 PM   #5
Piss off
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
mine was 2 mph fast according to my gps. now that i have the larger tires, the speedo is dead on, but the odo is off now.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:55 PM   #6
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Ky View Post
In 2 miles of driving my odometer will gain 1/10 of a mile. Am I
correct in saying that my speedometer and odometer are 5% fast. If so if my speedometer says 50 I am actually doing 55, if it says 100 I am doing 110. Correct me if I am wrong.
Can a dealer correct the speedometer?
Thanks guys!
If you odometer is saying you went 2.1 miles when you actually went 2 miles, then the speedometer is indicating you're going faster than you really are; when it says 55 you're only going 52.75 (55-5%). If it says 100, you're actually going 95.

rate = time * distance

If the distance is indicating too far (it shows 2.1 when it should show 2.0), the rate must be indicating too high (indicating 55 when it should indicate 52.75).
Old 03-06-2008, 06:59 PM   #7
Defying Alliances since 2007
TacoTurd will become famous soon enoughTacoTurd will become famous soon enough

TacoTurd's Tacoma Gallery
Johnson beat me to it. Yer arithmetic was bassackwards.

The interesting part is your warranty will expire with less than 36,000 actual miles. Neat huh?
Old 03-06-2008, 07:34 PM   #8
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoTurd View Post
The interesting part is your warranty will expire with less than 36,000 actual miles. Neat huh?
Never thought about that. Good point.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:04 PM   #9
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
on the other hand, put a nice set of 40 in. tires on it and you get a good sized extension on the warranty.