Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Parking the double cab long bed - how is it?

Old 03-06-2008, 10:49 PM   #1
cycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to behold
cycledrum's Tacoma Gallery
Parking the double cab long bed - how is it?

Ok, so I had to park in a large hotel parking structure with fairly tight spacing. My '88 pickup is only like 180 inches long, so not too bad to park.

I'm really wondering how the double cab long bed, all of its 221 inches is to park in shopping centers, parking structures, etc ...

No, really I think it obviously must be much tougher to park the DC long, but still want to hear from you experts, the owners.

--------
On a side note, I've been spending quite a bit of time looking into the Honda Ridgeline. But seeing one parked outside the hotel tonight, it just hit me ... 'that thing is just too ugly to me, I don't care what nifty features it has. I wouldn't buy it in its current form'.

I'm actually going to call Honda Corp. tomorrow, tell 'em what I think about the Ridge. Nothing to lose.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:13 AM   #2
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
I went from a '91 to an 06 access cab and there is a big difference going from a 30' turning radius to a 40' turning radius. It now takes me 2 shots to get in or out of my garage which sits sideways to our long narrow driveway. Other than that now that I'm used to it it's not bad in normal parking lots. I'd suggest going for a test drive and as part of it try some parking in the dealers lot or better yet any nearby market or mall you can find.

Have fun shopping!
Old 03-07-2008, 05:31 AM   #3
HardCase will become famous soon enough

Army: Medic
HardCase's Tacoma Gallery
Is the '88 in xtra-cab version really only 180" OAL? The reason I ask is that the '08 regular-cab is 190" and the new xtras are 208". I'm in the process of getting a new regular-cab, not super easy to find but I did locate one and am simply awaiting the dealiership adding a few accessories. I had an '89 regular-cab long ago and one of the things I really liked about it was the short turning circle and compactness, but I have no recollection of what the dimensions of that truck were.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:32 AM   #4
Banned
Phi Kai is on a distinguished road
Phi Kai's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Phi Kai
Psh...The DC LB is easy to park...just have to learn it. I guess I had driven my dads suburban a bit before I got it, but still it's not that hard. Angle parking and backing in will make your life easy.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:37 AM   #5
cycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
Is the '88 in xtra-cab version really only 180" OAL? The reason I ask is that the '08 regular-cab is 190" and the new xtras are 208". I'm in the process of getting a new regular-cab, not super easy to find but I did locate one and am simply awaiting the dealiership adding a few accessories. I had an '89 regular-cab long ago and one of the things I really liked about it was the short turning circle and compactness, but I have no recollection of what the dimensions of that truck were.
'88 xtra cab ... 184.3" according to OA. They're tiny. xtra cab is about a foot long.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:40 AM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phi Kai View Post
Psh...The DC LB is easy to park...just have to learn it. I guess I had driven my dads suburban a bit before I got it, but still it's not that hard. Angle parking and backing in will make your life easy.
I've driven an F250 XL super duty a lot at work. Same length as DC long and wider, but never had to park it in a claustrophobic parking garage.

I'm guessing it's all doable, just have to rock back and forth a couple times.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:42 AM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phi Kai View Post
I had to think what angle parking is .. duh ... like at many shopping centers.