Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

TA/KO 265/70/16 or 265/75/16 - Actual fuel mileage difference?

Old 12-16-2009, 08:48 AM   #1
lightfire is a jewel in the roughlightfire is a jewel in the roughlightfire is a jewel in the rough
lightfire's Tacoma Gallery
TA/KO 265/70/16 or 265/75/16 - Actual fuel mileage difference?

Searched the tire threads and saw some comments on this. Has anyone actually tried the 2 sizes and measured the mpg difference or do you feel it doesn't make that much difference.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:49 AM   #2
︻╦╤─
Doc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HM1 (FMF/SW/AW)
Name: Frank
Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery

from the online tire size calculator

from the tire calculator
Old 12-16-2009, 09:30 AM   #3
lightfire is a jewel in the roughlightfire is a jewel in the roughlightfire is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc.SS View Post

from the online tire size calculator

from the tire calculator
Cool info!
Now, what does this translate into practical fuel mileage differences?
Old 12-16-2009, 09:33 AM   #4
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
not noticable imo.i get 20 to 23mpg on the highway with the 265s.i dont drive the way i did 20 years ago either.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:39 AM   #5
︻╦╤─
Doc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HM1 (FMF/SW/AW)
Name: Frank
Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfire View Post
Cool info!
Now, what does this translate into practical fuel mileage differences?
3%, really depends on the tire (LT vs P), rolling resistance, etc.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:08 PM   #6
Any more comments? Trying to decide which of these to go with. I will not be doing a lift and am keeping stock wheels.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:12 PM   #7
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
I saw absolutely no difference in MPG (I went from 245/75/16 which is about the same as 265/70/16). You just have to adjust for the difference when figuring your MPG. It comes to about 10 miles more per 300 miles.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:23 PM   #8
NWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NWtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
i dont understand why people worry about mpg if you're buying a truck, but thats just my opinion.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:17 AM   #9
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
Often overlooked is weight of the tire.
There is so little difference in the size I don't think you will notice any difference.

Putting wheels and tires that double the weight of stock is a big deal.
Width and rolling resistance are the other things to consider if milage is a concern.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:19 AM   #10
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OH-MAN View Post
Often overlooked is weight of the tire.
There is so little difference in the size I don't think you will notice any difference.

Putting wheels and tires that double the weight of stock is a big deal.
Width and rolling resistance are the other things to consider if milage is a concern.
I agree, the biggest difference I noticed when switching from the stock tires was the weight. The BFGs are heavy. I believe the tires alone are 52 pounds each.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:59 AM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by I<3Tacos View Post
i dont understand why people worry about mpg if you're buying a truck, but thats just my opinion.
If I wasn't concerned about gas mileage I would buy a large truck and stick the biggest v8 I could find in it, blueprinted for 550+ HP.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:34 AM   #12
kbaum08 will become famous soon enough
kbaum08's Tacoma Gallery
No difference noticed here I am running 265 75 16 revos LT. Love the size and the tires 28K so far on the tires.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:30 PM   #13
engineerd is a splendid one to beholdengineerd is a splendid one to beholdengineerd is a splendid one to beholdengineerd is a splendid one to beholdengineerd is a splendid one to beholdengineerd is a splendid one to beholdengineerd is a splendid one to behold
engineerd's Tacoma Gallery
There was absolutely a 1 MPG city loss going from the stock dunlop AT20's to BFG TA/KO of the same size. i.e. 245/75/R16. Could be combination of greater weight and friction? Course' I could care less. I will never go back to street tires.