1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Collision Repair

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by UMDTaco, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Dec 16, 2009 at 2:59 PM
    UMDTaco

UMDTaco [OP] New Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma
    I just got rear ended in my 06 Tacoma on my way home:mad:.

It looks like the bumper (and step pad) will need to be replaced, the tailgate will need to be replaced and there is a dent in the rear passenger side fender. Any thoughts on how much to get it fixed? I want to have a better idea for when the insurance claims guy shows up tomorrow to offer me a check...I am def going to go for a diminished value claim on top of it.

Thanks in advance!

2. Dec 16, 2009 at 3:07 PM
    dorkman

dorkman Well-Known Member

Member:
    My guess is between $1 and Totaled.

3. Dec 16, 2009 at 3:08 PM
    BAT24

BAT24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    TRD Rugged Trail
    TRD - CAI Sport Hood Sport Grille Sport Headlights OEM LED Tails Factory Roof Rack
    The repair cost will depend on your state laws, by that I mean some states allow the use of recycled parts suck as the tailgate and rear bumper from the some model year or newer truck. Also it depends on how much damage there is to the bedside on whether it will need replaced or repaired. A diminished value claim can only be filed after the damages are repaired to industry standards so make sure you chose a reputable shop for the repairs, if the repair is substandard the poor repair will actually diminish the value of the truck and the insurance company will not owe for diminished value.

4. Dec 16, 2009 at 3:08 PM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    I'm no expert but I'm guessing at least $2500+. I put a small dent in the side of my truck and scraped the fender. It cost me $1900cdn to fix. Toyota body shop gave me the cheapest quote to my surprise

5. Dec 16, 2009 at 3:11 PM
    4low2go

4low2go Well-Known Member

Member:
    Coatesville, PA
    Vehicle:
    10 RC 4x4 5sp MGM
    Curt hitch, OBX Shift
    Welcome to TW! Too bad about your truck. The insurance co will want to settle quick with a rear ender. About $2k.

6. Dec 16, 2009 at 3:14 PM
    JAG

JAG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Like early stated I'm no expert... but I was involved in a wreck also (front end). And it would prob run you bout 10k+. The frame could be tweaked too. Thats another issue...

Edit: Whoa before you get a check tomorrow.... get a quote from a body shop first... if he writes the check first you'll get screwed!! Insurance guys are not your friends esp when they are the other parties insurance. Go to the best place you can find to get it fixed! Sidenote...(I learned that hard way that its not always the dealer whos best to make repairs). Just like you researched on this forum... research who has the best reviews for body shops in your area.

7. Dec 16, 2009 at 3:14 PM
    UMDTaco

UMDTaco [OP] New Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma
    That is around what I am expecting, I will probably take it to the Toyota collision center. I think that there can also be an inherent diminished value just for having been in the accident, repairs aside. I can make the argument that if I ever wanted to sell the truck (never going to happen) that I couldn't sell it for as much because the accident is on the vehicle history.

8. Dec 16, 2009 at 3:15 PM
    Stu

Stu Well-Known Member

Member:
    G'Ville, NV
    Vehicle:
    Taco TRD OR
    Not much yet, got a pretty good sound system w/ my custom sub box. Plan on adding more lights & a tool box.
    I'm getting the bumper replaced (w/ 1 step pad + 1 mounting bracket), frame measured (aligned if needed), the rt. fender repainted, decals replaced ~1400, 3-bids within $200. Dble check your bed alignment. Sight down your bed, compare how it fits with the cab. Check my photos for what mine looked like.
    Best of luck!

9. Dec 16, 2009 at 3:24 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    You can try- but you will most likely have to pay an expert to write a report expressing the same opinion...which can be upwards of 400 bones.

10. Dec 16, 2009 at 3:25 PM
    UMDTaco

UMDTaco [OP] New Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma
    I hadn't even thought about the bed alignment yet, I'll have to check that first thing in the morning. Thanks for the info, my bumper damage is similar but not as noticeable with the black bumper but the tailgate took most of the damage.

11. Dec 16, 2009 at 3:29 PM
    JAG

JAG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Check to see if the bed is cracked... Look everywhere for any cracks!!! Seriously...

12. Dec 16, 2009 at 3:37 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Damn man, much worse than when I got rear ended, it was pretty much a tap from a full size truck. I got a new bumper, painted, new plastics and new mounting brackets. The guy who hit me ended up cutting a check to the collision shop, but it was over 700 dollars IIRC.

13. Dec 16, 2009 at 3:42 PM
    UMDTaco

UMDTaco [OP] New Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma
    The other guy was in a mountaineer, his was much worse. I didn't stick around to find out but I think he might have cracked his radiator on top of having to replace the hood, grill and front bumper.

14. Dec 16, 2009 at 3:59 PM
    BAT24

BAT24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    TRD Rugged Trail
    TRD - CAI Sport Hood Sport Grille Sport Headlights OEM LED Tails Factory Roof Rack
    Exactly what Brunes said. Diminished value isnt a given it depends on the amount of damage as well as the quality of repairs. I inspected a new Ridgeline that was MURDERED wrote over 12k on it. The vehicle was repaired at a very good body shop and when the independent appraiser looked at it for diminished value he could not tell it had been repaired. Keep in mind this was a brand new vehicle with less than 5k miles on it and the diminished value was only about 1200 bucks.

15. Dec 16, 2009 at 7:23 PM
    JAG

JAG Well-Known Member

Member:
    For my 2006 Toyota Tacoma I got around 800 or 900 for diminished value when my truck had around 14k+ damages. It went to my mac book pro...

Yeah... it def wasn't what I was expecting... I was thinking way more....

Products Discussed in

To Top