Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Antifreeze?

Old 12-17-2009, 02:01 PM   #1
blackonwhite is on a distinguished road
blackonwhite's Tacoma Gallery
Antifreeze?

So a long time ago I drained the antifreeze ( the pink stuff). out of my truck. It was Probably around 20 k when i did it ( why i did this i do not even remember and looking back on it wtf was i thinking)..but anyways... i drained it all out and flushed it and everything, and put new antifreeze in it that wasnt toyota coolant. it was made for all engines anyways i think it was prestone green crap.. is this gonna kill my motor eventually and should i change it back to the toyota stuff. i didnt mix the two colors so i dont kno
Old 12-17-2009, 02:11 PM   #2
stang88 is on a distinguished road
stang88's Tacoma Gallery
no its not gonna kill ur motor... ur motor isnt made any differently then others.... while toyota coolant is preferred.. its not a must.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:15 PM   #3
My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
Monkeysuncle's Tacoma Gallery
I THINK, the toyota specific coolant doesnt NEED to be the end all replacement, I actually used a Prestone product that was intended for GM, FOrd and Chrysler, it was pink but the main issue was a corrosion inhibitor for cars that have cast iron blocks and aluminum radiators. We have iron blocks and aluminum heads. It needs to be flushed every 5 years or 150 K miles. I have 106K on my 1999 now and have flushed it twice. I think the key is change it every 4-5 years to help water passages free of corrosion, which can happen when two dissimilar metals are used(aluminum head on a steel block.)
Old 12-17-2009, 02:40 PM   #4
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
If you end up with a cooling problem or leak change it back to pink
Old 02-09-2010, 09:42 AM   #5
Toyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: JT
Toyota Truck's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have to mix the Toyota's coolant w/ water (50/50) or can you just pour straight from the bottle into the resvior?
Old 02-09-2010, 10:14 AM   #6
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus Truck View Post
Do you have to mix the Toyota's coolant w/ water (50/50) or can you just pour straight from the bottle into the resvior?
You should mix to whatever temperature you get. 50/50 is default but if you are in Texas you may want to do less coolant more water in order to provide more cooling.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:29 AM   #8
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
When I was a kid (17) I flushed the anti freeze in my Jeep... With advice from a friend who said if 50% anti freeze with water is good, then 100% has got to be better! Sounded logical!

WRONG! LOL I over-heated, ruined a water pump, and learned to trust factory recommendations!
Old 02-09-2010, 10:33 AM   #9
ShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadowFalken is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jim
ShadowFalken's Tacoma Gallery
If your truck specifies Toyota SLLC (Super Long Life Coolant) it is only sold by Toyota as a pre-mix. It is an HOAT (Hybrid Organic Acid Technology) and mixing with tap water can cause problems.

The old toyota LLC (Long Life) was a high quality standard anti-freeze (ethylene-glycol).

Do not mix Dex-Cool (GM Product) with Toyota SLLC it is not the same product.

I do not care for one size fits all coolants. Metals are not the only thing in cooling systems. There are rubbers and plastics too, and these can be negatively impacted by the wrong chemistry being used. Problems do not show up immediately so the connections to incorrect fluids are rarely made.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:55 AM   #10
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
I don't like the new coolants. They probably have them correct now but I remember when the orange stuff (Dex-Cool) came out, it caused all kinds of problems and gunked up the coolant sytems. Good old GREEN is the way to go. There was never any issues and works great. The new versions seem like gimicks to me.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:06 AM   #11
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFalken View Post
If your truck specifies Toyota SLLC (Super Long Life Coolant) it is only sold by Toyota as a pre-mix. It is an HOAT (Hybrid Organic Acid Technology) and mixing with tap water can cause problems.

The old toyota LLC (Long Life) was a high quality standard anti-freeze (ethylene-glycol).

Do not mix Dex-Cool (GM Product) with Toyota SLLC it is not the same product.

I do not care for one size fits all coolants. Metals are not the only thing in cooling systems. There are rubbers and plastics too, and these can be negatively impacted by the wrong chemistry being used. Problems do not show up immediately so the connections to incorrect fluids are rarely made.
+1
Old 02-09-2010, 11:19 AM   #12
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeysuncle View Post
I THINK, the toyota specific coolant doesnt NEED to be the end all replacement, I actually used a Prestone product that was intended for GM, FOrd and Chrysler, it was pink but the main issue was a corrosion inhibitor for cars that have cast iron blocks and aluminum radiators. We have iron blocks and aluminum heads. It needs to be flushed every 5 years or 150 K miles. I have 106K on my 1999 now and have flushed it twice. I think the key is change it every 4-5 years to help water passages free of corrosion, which can happen when two dissimilar metals are used(aluminum head on a steel block.)
Haha funny how its supposed to have a corrosion inhibitor...My buddy has been borrowing his mom's spare vehicle, a PT cruiser while his car is out of commission and had a METAL coolant line burst on him about 2-3 weeks ago. The car has 65k miles, the fluid has never been changed in it, still factory fluid since they bought the car new from the dealer. I can understand a rubber hose failing but a metal coolant line..thats ridiculous. When I pulled the radiator cap and we drained the system it was full of corrosion. The thermostat was a block of rust, the coolant line got a hole in it about the size of the of a pen because it corroded from the inside out. The outside of the line still looked brand new.

let me re-iterate again, this pt cruiser has 65k miles, bought new from the dealer, still had the factory coolant, we live in GA so the car has zero exterior corrosion on any of the parts.

Chryslers are junk...END RANT

As for the question about your taco. You should be fine. I put almost 100k miles on my old honda with prestone green 50/50 mixed with about 80% tap water and a bottle of redline water-wetter mixed and the day I sold the car the coolant was still as "clear" as it was when I originally changed it.