1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2010 factory installed XM radio problems?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TacoinMD, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Dec 18, 2009 at 5:22 PM
    TacoinMD

TacoinMD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Vehicle:
    2017 Silver Double Cab Sport.
    Anyone with the XM factory installed radio experienced this problem?

While in the XM mode the sound will drop out. The radio is clearly receiving the XM signal as the name of the song, band and or artist is being displayed, just no sound. The AM/FM, CD and MP3 options work fine.

The XM sound will not work until the truck is turned off and then back on, at which time the XM radio comes back to life with sound. Very strange.

At any rate, it will be going back to the dealer next week.

2. Dec 18, 2009 at 8:11 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    In two brand new cars so far I have not had luck with XM service. I drive 6 miles to work everyday on a major stretch of Interstate 5 and it cuts out in two spots on the way to work. So far I have realized that satellite radio does not like tree lines which litter the roadways in the PNW.

3. Dec 19, 2009 at 6:57 AM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I had this problem twice in the first week I had the truck, and haven't had any trouble in the last 4 months. Let me know what you find out.

4. Dec 19, 2009 at 8:29 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    No problems at all... even works while I am in the garage... in San Diego County.

5. Dec 19, 2009 at 8:43 AM
    Schully

Schully Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 2.7 AC 4x4
    the new tacos are great... but their head units are garbage, my display would turn off sometimes. so i went alpine, problem solved :)

6. Dec 19, 2009 at 10:33 PM
    boondock51

boondock51 New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5
    TacoinMD,

Bear with me: I recently purchased a 2010 PreRunner SR5 with an 'XM ready' head unit and pre-installed roof satellite antenna. I was a Sirius subscriber for years; however, I must switch to XM because the head unit and pre-installed antenna are configured specifically for XM.

While searching the internet to purchase an XM tuner and fit kit (to use the XM Ready head unit), I stumbled across a Toyota Service Bulletin that addresses the 'exact' issue you described. This being said, YES, your problem is 'known' by Toyota. The bulletin states that some 2009 & 2010 Toyotas (Tacomas included) with pre-installed head unit / XM radio combos intermittently shut down and the the vehicle must be restarted to re-set the system. I think that the bulletin noted specific problems with pre-installed XM tuners manufactured by 'Pioneer'.

All is not loss though--Toyota appears to be addressing the issue very well; they implemented a XM tuner exchange / upgrade program for affected customers.

I'm sorry, but I can't recall the exact Website link. However, you should contact your local dealership with the bulletin reference, T-SB-0271-09 dated August 11, 2009, or you can do a Web search using these Keywords: "XM Satellite Radio Inoperative Until Ignition Key Is Cycled." I can tell you that the bulletin is very informative, simple to read, and has all the facts. I learned a lot from reading it.

I'm pretty sure you will get your issue resolved with a little persistence and patience.

****By the way, a Toyota dealership wants to charge me $225.00 to install an XM tuner and connect two(fit kit) wires to get XM going. Is this sick or what? No way. The XM tuner and the recommended fit kit will cost me around $300.00. Why would I pay another $225.00 for a dealership to connect two (prefitted) wires and mount the tuner under my rear seat. I found a Website that explains, and illustrates, exactly what I need to do to install them myself. I thank God (always of course) for the internet (when used properly)!!!

Good Luck, you will be just fine.

7. Dec 27, 2009 at 7:34 PM
    Taco161

Taco161 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2023 Sport
    boondock51,

What is the website you found on how to install the tuner yourself? I have a 2010 double cab off road that has a radio equipped as yours was from the factory with antenna and I would like to add XM since I am already a subscriber on my wife's car. BTW my dealer quoted me an approximate price of $600.00 dollars to do the install!

Joe

8. Dec 27, 2009 at 7:41 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    No problems with my XM.

9. Dec 28, 2009 at 4:01 AM
    TacoinMD

TacoinMD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Vehicle:
    2017 Silver Double Cab Sport.
    The TSB noted above is accurate. A new XM receiver is on order and will be installed in my truck 01-07-10. The receivers in the double cabs are mounted under the left rear seat, under the storage bin. My dealer is telling me to swap out the old for new receiver is about a 15 minute job.

The dealer tells me that Pioneer sent Toyota, Honda, Ford and just about every other manufacturer a load of bad XM receivers.

10. Apr 2, 2010 at 8:02 AM
    manofmanycars

manofmanycars New Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Red Truck
    Off Road Package, Tow Package
    I have had this same problem in my 2009 Highlander several times. I also experienced it while test driving other make model cars (eg 2009 Honda Accord).

Products Discussed in

To Top