mugenrios2k is on a distinguished road
mugenrios2k's Tacoma Gallery
new 2010 4x4 torque converter lock up at idle and other weird sounds

Brand new with 2.1miles right off the boat
4x4
TRD sport
Tow ( tranny cooler)
now with 800miles

This is my first 4x4 truck and I am loving it however there are some interesting things happening that I am not sure are normal.

---------------------------------------------------------------
1) squeaking/purge sound right front ???
--------------------------------------------------------------
After the truck has been sitting for a while ( cooled down and usually over night)

When I back up and then proceed forward there is a weird sound that comes from the front passenger side of the truck.

Best way to describe it is it sounds like a CV boot squeaking against its self or maybe some type of purge ( possible charcoal canister)

It only does this once and happens as soon as I touch the throttle.
if I let it idle forward it it still makes the sound just takes a little longer to here it.

---------------------------------------------------------------
2) torque converter locking up at idel
--------------------------------------------------------------

In 2 wheel mode ( have not tried to see if this happens in the other modes but assume it will)

After coming to a complete stop the RPMs will stabilize around 550-600 and all is smooth and normal.
After about 20sec the rpm will climb slightly up to 700 and you can feel the truck surge forward against the breaks, rear end squat and the truck vibrate due it cavitation withing the now locked up torque converter.

After approx 10 secs of this the RPMS will drop back down and the torque converter will stop its cavitation and you feel the truck smooth back out.

Now
some times this repeats a couple more times sometimes it does not.
It does not always happen every time I come to a stop
Some time it takes longer for the truck to do this some times it is instant.

I have been unable to figure out what exact conditions cause this and what conditions do not.
I hate interment problems they are so hard to diagnose.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the community thoughts opinions.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:55 AM   #2
Fortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fortech's Tacoma Gallery
If I were to offer suggestions, your first issue sounds like the ABS calibrating itself. Your second issue sounds like the AT downshifting to 1st gear, which it doesn't do right away when stopped.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:56 AM   #3
alx_alx_69 is a jewel in the roughalx_alx_69 is a jewel in the roughalx_alx_69 is a jewel in the rough
Army: 3rd SFG
Name: Alex
alx_alx_69's Tacoma Gallery
Read the manual

Somewhere in the manual it says after a few hours of sitting it will purge something and make some noises, I got a 2010 and I remember reading that somewhere.check it out
Old 12-19-2009, 10:58 AM   #4
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
^^i agree ,its the abs priming,and downshift at long stops.my 09 4x4 dc does the same thing..............ROLL TIDE ROLL
Old 12-19-2009, 11:03 AM   #5
Asgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Asgard's Tacoma Gallery
Normal
Old 12-19-2009, 01:36 PM   #6
thanks guys.

And I went to auburn so war eagle

but a big ROLL TIDE

SEC teams are the best in the nation
Old 12-19-2009, 01:38 PM   #7
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mugenrios2k View Post
Brand new with 2.1miles right off the boat
You bought it off a boat? I think I found your problem.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:13 PM   #8
AC is not on

its to cold for that....

If the truck is in N it still cycles the rpms up in the same fashion.

In P it stays at a consent and steady RPM
Old 12-19-2009, 06:23 PM   #9
Fortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fortech's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
AC is not on

its to cold for that....

If the truck is in N it still cycles the rpms up in the same fashion.

In P it stays at a consent and steady RPM
The AC compressor cycles with the windshield defroster setting as well to provide moisture free air - regardless of the AC button position or the position of the heat knob.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:27 PM   #10
Banned
Isthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Isthatahemi's Tacoma Gallery
The torque converter is like a clutch, it is not locking up, or your truck would stall instantly. You really have no idea what you are saying. Do you even know what the word cavitation means? Your torque converter is not locking up or cavitating!
1.The first sound is probably the evap purge valve.
2.The second thing is probably your A/C compressor cycling. If you have the defrost on, it will cycle. (your owners manual tells you this if you read it)
3. Get a clue.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:38 PM   #11
Banned
Isthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorifuto View Post
I think its your truck shifting out of first gear back into neutral. Mine does the same thing when I come to a stop. Tacoma's use engine breaking to help you slow down so once you come to a full stop, it needs to shift out of that gear into neutral.
It does not shift to neutral at any speed unless you move the shifter!! The torque converter locks as the truck decelerates and uses the vehicle momentum to keep the engine running without injecting fuel.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:39 PM   #12
350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

350TacoZilla's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 350TacoZilla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isthatahemi View Post
The torque converter is like a clutch, it is not locking up, or your truck would stall instantly. You really have no idea what you are saying. Do you even know what the word cavitation means? Your torque converter is not locking up or cavitating!
2.The second thing is probably your A/C compressor cycling. If you have the defrost on, it will cycle. (your owners manual tells you this if you read it)
3. Get a clue.

wow bad day at office and need someone to take it out on? The guy has a few good questions for someone who just bought the truck. take a pill and settle down
Old 12-19-2009, 07:11 PM   #13
He is The STig
mick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bott
mick478's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
3. Get a clue.
hahahahahaha, im still on the floor laughing!

whats better is that it took hella posts for someone to point it out!!!
love it!
Old 12-19-2009, 07:19 PM   #14
Asgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Asgard's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The torque converter is like a clutch, it is not locking up, or your truck would stall instantly. You really have no idea what you are saying.
Quote:
The torque converter locks as the truck decelerates and uses the vehicle momentum to keep the engine running without injecting fuel.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:12 PM   #15
yes i do know what Cavitation means. I am a mechanical engineer.

Cavitation in the true scene happens when:
The formation and collapse of vapor bubbles in a working fluid aka the tyranny fluid when the static pressure is below the vapor pressure of fluid. This cavitation causes an acoustical profile then can be measured using a near filed acoustic mic or by directly coupling a vibration intrrement to the case of the tyranny in this case.
Usually this type of instrumenting is focused on high frequency noise because it is much easer to detect and measure then low frequency which are more "felt" then heard....

Most peopel use the tearm Cavitation to refer to the physical manifestation (AKA the vibration) to discuss Cavitation rather then the actual fluid dynamics and fluid mechanism that cause the physical effect.

Do I need to go on

TO insult someones intelligence on a forum is just a waist of time.
the person you insult my even be a PHD and an expert in his or her field.
OK back on topic

My locking up I mean that there is sufficient fluid flow from the stator/pump to the rotor to start coupling the input torque to the output shaft.

However since the breaks are in gauged the output shat is incapable of turning. AKA there is a stall condition.

Therefor the hi pressure of the fluid flow flows backward ( as apparent by the Cavitation/vibration and frequency ) transmited throught the housing and into the motor back throught the motor mounts and then eventualy being felt by the operator.

And I do not have the the AC on or the truck in Defrost mode. The heater is not even on. Its in vent mode and fan speed is off.

O and go read the 2010 manual ( you can turn of the AC when in defrost mode) on the 2010.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:26 PM   #16
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It does not shift to neutral at any speed unless you move the shifter!! The torque converter locks as the truck decelerates and uses the vehicle momentum to keep the engine running without injecting fuel.
It can also lock when accelerating, or maintaning a set speed/throttle position.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:13 AM   #17
350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

350TacoZilla's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 350TacoZilla
well here is my input on the eradic idle, I have been in probably 20 tacomas from 95.5 up to 07 or so and every single one with a auto trans does that.. feel like someone bumped you sitting at light, not sure why they do it but my gfs dad has one with over 200K on the auto trans no issues to report and it still does it to this day
Old 12-20-2009, 07:25 PM   #18
Banned
Quote:
yes i do know what Cavitation means. I am a mechanical engineer.

Cavitation in the true scene happens when:
The formation and collapse of vapor bubbles in a working fluid aka the tyranny fluid when the static pressure is below the vapor pressure of fluid. This cavitation causes an acoustical profile then can be measured using a near filed acoustic mic or by directly coupling a vibration intrrement to the case of the tyranny in this case.
Usually this type of instrumenting is focused on high frequency noise because it is much easer to detect and measure then low frequency which are more "felt" then heard....

Most peopel use the tearm Cavitation to refer to the physical manifestation (AKA the vibration) to discuss Cavitation rather then the actual fluid dynamics and fluid mechanism that cause the physical effect.

Do I need to go on
And I'm a rocket scientist. I've never heard of cavitation being substituted for vibration, it's just an incorrect use of the word, and makes your original post confusing. Oscillation or vibration is not only simpler, it is correct. The torque converter is not cavitating by your own definition.

Quote:

TO insult someones intelligence on a forum is just a waist of time.
A waist hunh?
intrrement?
tyranny?

Quote:

My locking up I mean that there is sufficient fluid flow from the stator/pump to the rotor to start coupling the input torque to the output shaft.

However since the breaks are in gauged the output shat is incapable of turning. AKA there is a stall condition.

Therefor the hi pressure of the fluid flow flows backward ( as apparent by the Cavitation/vibration and frequency ) transmited throught the housing and into the motor back throught the motor mounts and then eventualy being felt by the operator.

And I do not have the the AC on or the truck in Defrost mode. The heater is not even on. Its in vent mode and fan speed is off.

O and go read the 2010 manual ( you can turn of the AC when in defrost mode) on the 2010.
It's on by default, that was my point.

This is entirely pointless.... a mechanical engineer is asking why his torque converter is locking up and ....... oh whatever, you're the engineer.
And pressure does not backflow in a torque converter, it goes static.
And the torque converter is connected to the input, not output shaft....
Whatever, you're the engineer......The vibration is from the engine, not the torque converter, or the "tyranny"
And the "breaks" are not "in gauged".....
Old 12-20-2009, 10:53 PM   #19
posting while drunk is never a good idea lol

I all ready have my answer its normal and nothing to be concerned about.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:44 PM   #20
Banned
already....