1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

side rails WITH folding hard tonneau cover?

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by Tacoma2, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Dec 20, 2009 at 9:46 AM
    Tacoma2

Tacoma2 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    PatB
    Saint Paul
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner access cab 4x4 automatic
    Add side rails and folding tonneau cover
    I would like to get the BackRack- black side rails for my 2010 black Tacoma-but I need a folding, hard tonneau cover- any suggestions?
    Thanks!:)

2. Oct 3, 2011 at 9:59 AM
    DenisSeattle

DenisSeattle Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    That BackRack looks nice. I can tell you that BakFlips have their own rails, so you would need to check with Bak Industries (no relation to BackRack) about BackRack compatibility before you buy the BakFlip folding tonneau cover for your Tacoma. You would also lose about another inch of bed space on each side (between the rails). Bak's rails cover up the newer Tacoma's factory rail system, making the cleats unusable.

3. Oct 3, 2011 at 4:54 PM
    paidfor

paidfor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD OR 4x4
    Hidden GPS tracking system. Backflip cover, weather techs, bed mat, tailgate lock, OME 885 springs, blistein shocks, 2.5 in AAL/
    I have a BackFlip hard cover. Locks my tailgate and I can still use the bed rail system - including the sliding screw down bed cleats.

4. Oct 4, 2011 at 7:12 AM
    DenisSeattle

DenisSeattle Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    That's interesting. Thanks for that info. Do you have a photo?

I want to have a flush-mounted tonneau and keep my tie-down rail system, but I couldn't find a way to do it.

In my conversation yesterday with Bak, they made it clear that their rails mounted over the factory tie-down rails and "you would lose the functionality of the factory rails." I saw a BakFlip model at a dealer yesterday and the rails (which are about 1" x 1" and act as rain gutters) clearly would be mutually exclusive. You would have to remove their rails to use the Tacoma's rails for cleats.

I just ordered the Extang Solid Fold, which is similar except that it sits above the sidewalls, not flush. It has no rails of its own, rather it uses the Tacoma's rail system. The factory rails and cleats (I'm assured by Extang) remain fully functional whether the cover is closed, folded, or off.

If you're willing to mount D-rings as tie-downs along your truck bed, then the rail system isn't that important. There are some clever fold-away tie-downs available in truck-oriented parts stores.

5. Oct 4, 2011 at 2:46 PM
    penguins_cc

penguins_cc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bellevue, WA
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica Limo!
    Perkins Performance Sliders, Warn 9000, Brute Force Fab front & rear bumper, OME/Dakar lift, full ATO skids and hi-lift mount, satoshi, Wet Okoles, illuminated 4x4 switch, Diff Breather.
    Advantage Hard Hat FTW! Sorry about the excitement, just got mine a few days ago and still basking in the glow. It comes off fully in <1 min, easy to store, tri-fold, can drive with it 2/3 open if I have something tall but I don't want to take the entire cover off. It looks just like the Advantage Torza Top but each section is solid (not roll-up).

6. Oct 4, 2011 at 3:53 PM
    paidfor

paidfor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD OR 4x4
    Hidden GPS tracking system. Backflip cover, weather techs, bed mat, tailgate lock, OME 885 springs, blistein shocks, 2.5 in AAL/
    Let me clarify. When my cover is completely closed, I cannot use the cleats unless items are tied off under the cover. When I fold the cover back 1,2 or 3 times, I have full ability to use my cleats. I will see if I can get some pictures later tonight or tomorrow.

Products Discussed in

To Top