LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

side rails WITH folding hard tonneau cover?

Old 12-20-2009, 09:46 AM   #1
Tacoma2 is on a distinguished road
Name: PatB
Tacoma2's Tacoma Gallery
side rails WITH folding hard tonneau cover?

I would like to get the BackRack- black side rails for my 2010 black Tacoma-but I need a folding, hard tonneau cover- any suggestions?
Thanks!
Old 10-03-2011, 09:59 AM   #2
DenisSeattle is on a distinguished road
DenisSeattle's Tacoma Gallery
That BackRack looks nice. I can tell you that BakFlips have their own rails, so you would need to check with Bak Industries (no relation to BackRack) about BackRack compatibility before you buy the BakFlip folding tonneau cover for your Tacoma. You would also lose about another inch of bed space on each side (between the rails). Bak's rails cover up the newer Tacoma's factory rail system, making the cleats unusable.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:54 PM   #3
paidfor is a jewel in the roughpaidfor is a jewel in the roughpaidfor is a jewel in the rough
Army: Airborne
paidfor's Tacoma Gallery
I have a BackFlip hard cover. Locks my tailgate and I can still use the bed rail system - including the sliding screw down bed cleats.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:12 AM   #4
DenisSeattle is on a distinguished road
DenisSeattle's Tacoma Gallery
That's interesting. Thanks for that info. Do you have a photo?

I want to have a flush-mounted tonneau and keep my tie-down rail system, but I couldn't find a way to do it.

In my conversation yesterday with Bak, they made it clear that their rails mounted over the factory tie-down rails and "you would lose the functionality of the factory rails." I saw a BakFlip model at a dealer yesterday and the rails (which are about 1" x 1" and act as rain gutters) clearly would be mutually exclusive. You would have to remove their rails to use the Tacoma's rails for cleats.

I just ordered the Extang Solid Fold, which is similar except that it sits above the sidewalls, not flush. It has no rails of its own, rather it uses the Tacoma's rail system. The factory rails and cleats (I'm assured by Extang) remain fully functional whether the cover is closed, folded, or off.

If you're willing to mount D-rings as tie-downs along your truck bed, then the rail system isn't that important. There are some clever fold-away tie-downs available in truck-oriented parts stores.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:46 PM   #5
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
Advantage Hard Hat FTW! Sorry about the excitement, just got mine a few days ago and still basking in the glow. It comes off fully in <1 min, easy to store, tri-fold, can drive with it 2/3 open if I have something tall but I don't want to take the entire cover off. It looks just like the Advantage Torza Top but each section is solid (not roll-up).
Old 10-04-2011, 03:53 PM   #6
paidfor is a jewel in the roughpaidfor is a jewel in the roughpaidfor is a jewel in the rough
Army: Airborne
paidfor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisSeattle View Post
That's interesting. Thanks for that info. Do you have a photo?

I want to have a flush-mounted tonneau and keep my tie-down rail system, but I couldn't find a way to do it.

In my conversation yesterday with Bak, they made it clear that their rails mounted over the factory tie-down rails and "you would lose the functionality of the factory rails." I saw a BakFlip model at a dealer yesterday and the rails (which are about 1" x 1" and act as rain gutters) clearly would be mutually exclusive. You would have to remove their rails to use the Tacoma's rails for cleats.

I just ordered the Extang Solid Fold, which is similar except that it sits above the sidewalls, not flush. It has no rails of its own, rather it uses the Tacoma's rail system. The factory rails and cleats (I'm assured by Extang) remain fully functional whether the cover is closed, folded, or off.

If you're willing to mount D-rings as tie-downs along your truck bed, then the rail system isn't that important. There are some clever fold-away tie-downs available in truck-oriented parts stores.
Let me clarify. When my cover is completely closed, I cannot use the cleats unless items are tied off under the cover. When I fold the cover back 1,2 or 3 times, I have full ability to use my cleats. I will see if I can get some pictures later tonight or tomorrow.

Products Discussed in this Thread