Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Gas odor in oil - 08 Tacoma

Old 03-09-2008, 07:58 PM   #1
bozojones69 is on a distinguished road
bozojones69's Tacoma Gallery
Gas odor in oil - 08 Tacoma

I just changed the oil for the first time on my new 2008 Tacoma 4x4 4.0L (about 2200 miles). I did almost get tricked by the tranny plug (it seemed too far back anyway), but thanks to this forum, I got the right one (the 14mm right? lol)

Anyway, I noticed a slight to moderate gasoline odor in the oil and was wondering if this was normal. I'm thinking a brand new vehicle might be "tightening up" and the oil should clean itself out after a change or two. Maybe some solvents or something when putting a new engine together. It runs fine, and I'm getting 18 mpg city.

Is this anything to be alarmed about? Any thoughts?

PS I love this truck...
Old 03-11-2008, 12:01 PM   #2
pdxyota is on a distinguished road

Name: Greg
pdxyota's Tacoma Gallery
Doesn't ALL used oil smell that way?
Old 03-11-2008, 12:50 PM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Of all the oil changes I've done - I've never had a 'gas' smell. It always smells like oil to me.

What did the oil look like - when you drained it?

Was the gas smell directly from the oil - versus - something else in & around the engine? If you pull the dipstick, does it smell like gas?

For safety sake - I'd contact your dealer and have them look at it. Chances are - they won't find anything. However - you'll get your complaint *on file* for future reference in case something does occur.

Check the dipstick regularly for discoloration and gas smell. And take note to what it smells like the next time you change the oil.

I honestly couldn't tell ya what it could be. Since the truck is new - it could be anything including something installed improperly from the factory.