Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

TRD Sport quieter than TRD off-road on the highway?

Old 12-21-2009, 12:40 PM   #1
NiceGuyEddie is a glorious beacon of lightNiceGuyEddie is a glorious beacon of lightNiceGuyEddie is a glorious beacon of lightNiceGuyEddie is a glorious beacon of lightNiceGuyEddie is a glorious beacon of light

NiceGuyEddie's Tacoma Gallery
TRD Sport quieter than TRD off-road on the highway?

well i don't know if anyone can answer this. i didn't take either vehicle on the highway for my test-drive. my fault.

i don't ever plan to get aftermarket wheels and tires so road noise is important to me.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:43 PM   #2
freesample will become famous soon enoughfreesample will become famous soon enough

freesample's Tacoma Gallery
99% depends on tires
Old 12-21-2009, 12:55 PM   #3
NorthXNorthwest is a splendid one to beholdNorthXNorthwest is a splendid one to beholdNorthXNorthwest is a splendid one to beholdNorthXNorthwest is a splendid one to beholdNorthXNorthwest is a splendid one to beholdNorthXNorthwest is a splendid one to beholdNorthXNorthwest is a splendid one to behold
Army: Tanker 3/7Inf, 3ID---25A 1-82 CAV, Bend OR
NorthXNorthwest's Tacoma Gallery
What freesample said and do you not ever plan on having to replace your OME tires?
Old 12-21-2009, 01:06 PM   #4
bmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to behold

bmgreene's Tacoma Gallery
I haven't noticed a noise problem on my OR package, the OR stock BFG Rugged Trail T/A's aren't the most agressive tread pattern I've ever run on, and the lower (29psi spec) pressure may help quiet them a bit.

If there is any difference the Sport should be quieter since its tires are more "street" and less "trail". Toyota's website doesn't give a model for the tires on the sport pkg, so I wouldn't want to guess about any wet/weather traction issues they might have (I know the stock tires on my 1997 Tacoma LX had wet traction issues, but that's not much of an indicator for what they're selling 13 years later). Either way, it's possible to get good grip of wet pavement without the noise and other baggage of A/T tread patterns if you don't need the A/T.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:14 PM   #5
YGWYPF
RainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Naval Aviator
RainDodger's Tacoma Gallery
I have a new '09 Sport and it's very quiet on the highway - I attribute any difference to tires alone. The stockers are Dunlop ATs and they're very "summer oriented" shall we say. Pretty smooth, non-aggressive tread patterns. My '08 FJ with pretty aggressive Goodyears on it is a little noisier, depending on the pavement. Different vehicle though.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:23 PM   #6
spaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud of

Army: Ret. USAR Sgt.
spaghettiedy's Tacoma Gallery
Agree w/ what others said, Sport is going to be "quieter" simply because the tires are more road tires than the offroad's tires.

I bought my Sport because I liked the wheels, and needed a DC LB. I guess what I'm saying is don't buy a truck based on it's tires!!!
Old 12-21-2009, 01:37 PM   #7
Junior Senior Member
warpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud of

Army: Motor Pool
Name: Vaughn
warpwr's Tacoma Gallery
The wheels and tires are the same on my '09 Sport and my '07 4Runner.
The 4Runner is quieter and smoother and quicker (V8) FWIW.

Can't say about the OR though.

Old 12-21-2009, 02:38 PM   #9
Jimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jimirich's Tacoma Gallery
I can't hear over my stereo most of the time. If road noise is a peeve, then get three sheets of Second Skin Luxury Liner Pro. I did the floor and center hump. Quieted things right away. I have the OR and ditched the Rugged Fails for BFG at's. Just a little noisier- small kine. It's all about the tires
Old 12-21-2009, 02:42 PM   #10
NiceGuyEddie is a glorious beacon of lightNiceGuyEddie is a glorious beacon of lightNiceGuyEddie is a glorious beacon of lightNiceGuyEddie is a glorious beacon of lightNiceGuyEddie is a glorious beacon of light

NiceGuyEddie's Tacoma Gallery

sure would be wierd that my choice of truck would come down to tires. above is my OTHER car, so for my daily driver, i'd like my truck as quiet as possible.

my current daily driver, which i've had for 20 years is a 1990 Integra which "shakes rattles and rolls" and i look forward to something new.

according to what you guys are saying, the off road tires that come with the off road package don't seem to aggressive, though.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:46 PM   #11
ttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
ttylerr's Tacoma Gallery
just get the tires swapped out with whatever you want the day you pick it up. most tire shops will credit you for the lightly used OEM tires.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:30 AM   #12
DumpTruckTacoma is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
DumpTruckTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Either option you get, or even if you go with an SR5, just swap to a set of Goodyear Silent Armors or like. Will quiet down alot of tire based road noise. You can probably have them swapped at time of purchase or like posted above get a good rebate on the stock tires if you pop right over to a tire place.

If that still doesnt work for you, there are several good threads in the audio section about adding sound deadener...
Old 05-17-2011, 10:35 AM   #13
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Should be the same.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:25 AM   #14
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Thread necro ftw....

My TRD sport is loud as hell man... I can't even hear over my tires half the time!
Old 11-03-2011, 11:42 AM   #15
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Thread necro ftw....

My TRD sport is loud as hell man... I can't even hear over my tires half the time!
Could it be the Sport's hood scoop disrupting the air flow?
Old 11-03-2011, 11:46 AM   #16
Rifleman not a cook, Appleseed program
Tackleberry is on a distinguished road

Name: Mark
Tackleberry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceGuyEddie View Post

sure would be wierd that my choice of truck would come down to tires. above is my OTHER car, so for my daily driver, i'd like my truck as quiet as possible.

my current daily driver, which i've had for 20 years is a 1990 Integra which "shakes rattles and rolls" and i look forward to something new.

according to what you guys are saying, the off road tires that come with the off road package don't seem to aggressive, though.
That is one sweet ride, which build is that, I have been looking into a Factory 5, or an ERA. The advantage to the ERA is they are based here in CT and I can drive over and pick it up.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:32 AM   #17
sonocotaco is on a distinguished road
Name: ken
sonocotaco's Tacoma Gallery
Yes the sport is a little quieter just because of the tires. I used to have a TRD Offroad and now have a Sport. Bumps are felt more in the Offroad too.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:03 AM   #18
TRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to behold

TRDsport253's Tacoma Gallery
I have the sport but would expect for the off road be more quieter because they have more sidewall. Is this correct?
Old 11-04-2011, 01:04 AM   #19
TACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
TACOMA TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Of owning both, the sport has a nicer ride around town and highway. As far as smoother goes... its all in the tires. My off road felt tighter in the steering, and had a nicer ride on dirt roads.