1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Program a new key??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Robocop, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Dec 22, 2009 at 9:04 PM
    Robocop

Robocop [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 Access Cab Gray Manual
    After searching here and online I am now very confused about buying a new key. I lost one of my master keys along with the remote door opener and am trying to buy a spare.

Many places online claim to sale blank keys and remote fobs that can be programmed by the user. I have read other places that these often do not work and are a waste of money.

I went to a locksmith who wanted something like 150 dollars to sale me a toyota spare key with program and this price did not include the remote door opener.

Has anyone here actually bought one of the online keys and if so were you able to program it yourself using the master key? The instructions I found say you have to do a weird series of events pressing the brake and gas while closing the doors several times.....is it really this simple to do or will I have to go to the dealer?

I have a 2009 Tacoma with the chip inside the key....thanks for any experience you can give me on this.

2. Dec 22, 2009 at 9:11 PM
    Robocop

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    I have read a few threads here where some said it works great and others have had to go to the dealer. Seems like it is 50/50 right now so maybe I will go ahead and try the aftermarket option for now. I was hoping someone has actually replaced a key for an 09 and could tell me exactly where to purchase from.

3. Dec 22, 2009 at 9:31 PM
    Asgard

Asgard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SR5 w/LSD
    That is the procedure for the 1st generations, it will not work for the second gens. You can buy the remote on eBay and program it yourself here : http://www.programyourremote.com/ . As for programming the key most locksmiths should be able to do it, ask around for the best deal.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. Dec 22, 2009 at 9:54 PM
    Robocop

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    I visited one of the higher rated local shops (Alabama Lock & Key) and I was suprised when he quoted me the price. After giving me the price he changed his story when I told him I had a 09 model. He said his computer would only do up to 2004 models and said I should try the dealer.

Several places online claim the blank key can be programmed by the user with many still showing the 09 models to also use the weird series of steps involved using the gas and brake pedals as well as the doors.

5. Mar 13, 2010 at 12:58 PM
    SLQ

SLQ Member

Member:
    central coast
    Vehicle:
    07 prerunner Dbl cab TRD sport
    I have one master key. Its an after market Strattec brand and I just purchased 2 keys off ebay. They have the Toyota logo but I dont think they are OEM . After failing to reprogram my 2 new Ebay Keys on my own Via the gas pedal, brake pedal, opening closing the doors and ignition switch none of these proceedures worked, I took my 2 Ebay keys to be programmed at the Stealership This is what I learned from the Tech . He started off by saying that he was going to have to reprogram the computer and I was going to have to buy a new Master from Toyota. He was very doubtful that my Ebay keys would work. He did say he would try. The estmate was 2 hrs labor to reprogram and new key total $330. A half hour later the tech came out and said that he was able to reprogram the 2 Ebay keys using the aftermarket Strattec key. The saving grace was that the Stratec master key is a true master. You can tell by a small dimple stamped into the top of the key on the metal part. The 2 ebay keys do not have the dimples so they cant be used to reprogram. All total $113 for labor to reprogram 2 keys.

6. Mar 13, 2010 at 5:37 PM
    melsman

melsman Member

Member:
    Central California
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner SR5 TRD
    Double post...

Melsman

7. Mar 13, 2010 at 5:54 PM
    melsman

melsman Member

Member:
    Central California
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner SR5 TRD
    I bought my 2007 Tacoma used from a "Certified Toyota" dealer, and after signing the papers and almost stepping into the truck, they tell me that there isn't a second set of keys for the truck. Hmmm... would have been nice to know before closing the deal.

Of course my local dealer wanted $100 for a new key, $110 for a fob, and $100 to program both. Again... not a happy camper.

So, I got on-line and found these guys and ordered a transponder key and a fob for about $58 to my door. I programmed the fob myself based on info on the web. However, programming the key wasn't something the owner can do. Interestingly, the local dealer was the least expensive for programming ($48 vs. $85 from a locksmith), but I had to have the key cut first. So, I had my local hardware store cut my key (free, since I had them make a couple of other spare keys at the same time) and took the key to my local dealer.

When I handed them my non-Toyota key, they were skeptical, but it programmed just fine and works like a champ. So, for $106, I have a new master key/fob set.

Still too expensive...

Melsman

8. Apr 5, 2010 at 9:46 AM
    amddetailing

amddetailing New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport
    after 2 hrs of research I found this..

1. Place an already programmed Master key in the keyway. (Do not turn on.)

2. Press the Gas pedal 5 times.

3. Press the Brake pedal 6 times.

4. Pull out the key.

5. Insert the new key and DO NOT turn it on.

6. Press Gas pedal just 1 time and wait until security light stops blinking, (about a minute.)

7. Remove the key and Press Brake pedal 1 time. The cycle is now closed.

The programming mode will end after 10 more seconds.

Several people said it did work. I just ordered my replacement switchblade style from ebay and am waiting to try this procedure to see if it works. Hoping it does.. Ill post my results

9. Apr 21, 2010 at 11:00 AM
    Scorn

Scorn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    TRS Sport Dbl Cab
    I just bought one and it only had one key but two remotes including one remote start. I need another key that can be programmed. :)

10. Oct 15, 2010 at 6:43 PM
    huskertacoma

huskertacoma Member

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5,dbl,lngbd,4x4
    Has anyone tried this to see if it works.

11. Oct 16, 2010 at 5:26 AM
    fjm0008

fjm0008 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Annapolis
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 LB White
    Sirius Starmate and ipod integration w/Pay15 Toy USA Spec, Hardwired Radar Detector and GPS, DRL Mod,Tailgate Anti Theft mod, Hi Lift Jack, CB Radio, Back up sensors, Front 30% tint, Leer 100R Cap, Weathertech, Under hood light and 12V outlet, D Rings, N-FAB Step Bars, Bed Mat, Yakima Bike Rack, OEM Roof Rack
    That procedure does not work on 2nd generations trucks. I have not seen one thread where anyone said it was successful. Some people comment it is for 1st Gen trucks. True value hardware here can clone your master for 75.00. But only some of them have the equipment.

12. May 8, 2012 at 4:30 AM
    2010TRD

2010TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Waldo, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM trd offroad DCSB
    Billistein 5100 front/rears, Toytec 2" AAL Custom grill, All Pro rear bumper, All Pro sliders, Anytime elocker/foglights, Rear diff vent relocated, W/O seat covers, weathertech mats/visors, nfab tire racK, cobra 75 stealth CB, Custom engine/trans skids 3/8", Hella and HID behind grill, LED bar backup light, LED pods under cab (rocklights)

So you were able to program the Ebay keys......using the master key(factory original)
    Im looking at buying an Ebay key, and am unsure if will work.

13. May 8, 2012 at 6:09 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    My 09 keys do not have a chip in it the dealer told me? I was curious and asked the Parts dept mgr last time I was in and he said I did not have a chip in my keys? Are you sure yours does?

14. May 9, 2012 at 3:27 AM
    Scorn

Scorn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    TRS Sport Dbl Cab
    I have a 2009 Tacoma and it does have a chip in it. I was fortunate to find a locksmith to program me 3 for $90.00 plus one just to open the door.

If you find some local ones they may have the program to do it.:)

15. May 9, 2012 at 4:44 AM
    2010TRD

2010TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Waldo, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM trd offroad DCSB
    Billistein 5100 front/rears, Toytec 2" AAL Custom grill, All Pro rear bumper, All Pro sliders, Anytime elocker/foglights, Rear diff vent relocated, W/O seat covers, weathertech mats/visors, nfab tire racK, cobra 75 stealth CB, Custom engine/trans skids 3/8", Hella and HID behind grill, LED bar backup light, LED pods under cab (rocklights)
    You can tell the difference in a "chipped" or "not chip" key QUICKLY and EASY......

If the head of the key (black plastic/rubber) is FLEXABLE like rubber than there is no chip
    If the head of key is hard like plastic, than its a chipped key.

Typically if your vehicle HAS power locks and remote entry..........then it IS chipped

My old 2009 was a basic prerunner with NO bells and whistles......MANUAL everything.........Its key was NOT chipped and could have copies made for $5-10....at a hardware store

16. Feb 8, 2016 at 12:55 PM
    cliffhanger4

cliffhanger4 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Toronto Ont Canada
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota PreRunner TRD
    Only 2005 and 2006 tacomas
    http://www.drdetailshop.com/Transponderreference.htm#TypeE

The Toyota Electronic Control Module does not have programming modes without a pre-programmed key.
    If there is no key available that is already programmed into the module, the module must be replaced.

To delete all but one key from the unit:

Type E 1. Simultaneously depress and release brake and accelerator pedals 1 time.
    2. Insert existing master key into ignition. Do not turn the key from the OFF (LOCK) position.
    3. Within 15 seconds of inserting the key, depress and release the accelerator pedal six times.
    4. Within 10 seconds of completing the above step, depress and release the accelerator pedal seven times.
    5. The security light will flash, indication all keys other than the one being used have been deleted.
    6. Remove the key from the ignition cylinder within ten seconds. It will be the only key still programmed to work

Add Duplicate Key:

1. Simultaneously depress and release brake and accelerator pedals 1 time.
    2. Insert existing master key into ignition. Do not turn the key from the OFF (LOCK) position.
    3. Within 15 seconds of inserting the key, depress and release the accelerator pedal five times.
    4. Within 20 seconds of completing the above step, depress and release the brake pedal six times and
    remove the key.
    5. Within 10 seconds, insert the new key into the ignition.
    6. Within 10 seconds, depress and release the accelerator pedal one time.
    7. After 80 seconds the new key is registered and the security light will go off.
    8. Remove new key and depress and release the brake pedal 1 time.

TacoAndrew75 likes this.
  17. Aug 9, 2016 at 6:47 AM
    Otlash

Otlash Member

Member:
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD OR, 2004 5-lug
    Has anyone gotten this to work on any second gen? I have a 2005, bought a blank key off of Amazon and had it cut. This programming doesn't seem to work

18. Aug 9, 2016 at 6:55 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Dear Lord, thank you once again that I just have simple, chipless keys. You know my mind isn't capable of dealing with this nonsense, thank You for protecting me.

@Otlash

Please note that this thread is over 6 years old. Also that the member you quoted hasn't been seen since the day he made that post.

Your chance of reply by him is very very slim. ;)

19. Aug 9, 2016 at 7:19 AM
    Skyway

Skyway Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ande'
    St.Pete
    Vehicle:
    White 2009 regular cab
    I would go to ACE HARDWARE, or a DEALERSIP PARTS DEPT.

Products Discussed in

To Top