Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Clutch Start Cancel?????

Old 12-23-2009, 07:21 PM   #1
alx_alx_69 is a jewel in the roughalx_alx_69 is a jewel in the roughalx_alx_69 is a jewel in the rough
Army: 3rd SFG
Name: Alex
alx_alx_69's Tacoma Gallery
Clutch Start Cancel?????

Does anybody really know what the clutch start cancel is for, in the owners manual it says for extreme situations, not for normal use.
Extreme situations like what, my legs were eaten by the cougar in my passenger seat? The only thing I can think of this being used for is to start my truck in the morning without having to climb in and push in the clutch, but the manual also says not to use it on a daily bases so WTF?
Old 12-23-2009, 07:22 PM   #2
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
It's for lazy people who don't want to push the pedal in to start...

and maybe for people who's legs were eaten by a cougar...
Old 12-23-2009, 07:25 PM   #3
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
its like the ladies helper in pool..not needed..but can make life alot easier
Old 12-23-2009, 07:36 PM   #4
bigyetti has much to be proud ofbigyetti has much to be proud ofbigyetti has much to be proud ofbigyetti has much to be proud ofbigyetti has much to be proud ofbigyetti has much to be proud ofbigyetti has much to be proud ofbigyetti has much to be proud ofbigyetti has much to be proud of
Name: mike
bigyetti's Tacoma Gallery
it makes it easy to start the truck while servicing, timing adjustment. or it stalls out at a red light and wont restart you can get it off the road out of harms way. just my .02
Old 12-23-2009, 07:40 PM   #5
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
It is for extreme situations off road. For instance, you are climbing a steep grade in 4 low and your truck dies. instead of having to apply the brakes and push the clutch in, you can push the clutch cancel button and apply a slight amount of throttle while starting the engine. The truck will start and you do not run the risk of rolling backwards off a cliff.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:42 PM   #6
When I grow up I want to be just like Me
BRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BRP27's Tacoma Gallery
If you stall the truck on a steep hill and you are afraid to push the clutch in because you like living you use this button ^ what he said
Old 12-23-2009, 07:48 PM   #7
Yota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of light

Yota1's Tacoma Gallery
i find this funny too, if you are in the situation as above, your right foot is on the brake anyways, or it should be. so your right foot is should be near the clutch anyways, i mean if your in that situation you are on and off the clutch anyways.

i have used it a few times, but mostly when i want to reach in a start the truck, instead of getting in a depressing the clutch

I think it is mostly for the use of remote start, it makes it easier to wire in the systems with a standard trans with these switches
Old 12-23-2009, 07:48 PM   #8
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think it was made for staying alive rather than falling off of a cliff, but it does work that way. I believe being a button that "cancel"s the need to push the "clutch" in while you "start" the truck, it is used for starting the truck without having to get in
Old 12-23-2009, 09:08 PM   #9
revhappyleon is a jewel in the roughrevhappyleon is a jewel in the roughrevhappyleon is a jewel in the roughrevhappyleon is a jewel in the rough

Name: Manny
revhappyleon's Tacoma Gallery
I think it's for starting on a steep hill otherwise why would it only be on 4x4 models
Old 12-23-2009, 09:11 PM   #10
Your mom goes to college
dwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derick
dwalden2's Tacoma Gallery
I just use it on cold mornins when I go to warm the truck up...or when I tell the woman to go out and crank it. I'm always afraid she'll leave it in gear and let the clutch out, so i make her put it in neutral and use the Clutch Start Cancel.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:14 PM   #11
blackxpress is on a distinguished road

Navy:
Name: Jeff
blackxpress's Tacoma Gallery
Would it also make it possible to push start it if you have a dead battery? Mine doesn't have one of those switches but I think I might wish it did. I left my lights on recently and didn't have any jumper cables. I tried to roll it down the hill and dump the clutch but it wouldn't start. I'm guessing that's because it won't start unless you hold the clutch pedal to the floor. Am I right about that?
Old 12-23-2009, 09:25 PM   #13
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
The clutch start cancel is specifically for starting the truck on a hill without the clutch, while in gear. Nothing more, nothing less. It was by no means intended to be used as a lazy mans way of starting the truck, and it is mentioned in the owners manual to not use the feature for anything other than "extreme situations" which would be the previously mentioned situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappyleon View Post
I think it's for starting on a steep hill otherwise why would it only be on 4x4 models

Exactly. Common sense prevails again.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:26 PM   #14
TacoMOnster07 is a splendid one to beholdTacoMOnster07 is a splendid one to beholdTacoMOnster07 is a splendid one to beholdTacoMOnster07 is a splendid one to beholdTacoMOnster07 is a splendid one to beholdTacoMOnster07 is a splendid one to behold
TacoMOnster07's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TacoMOnster07
Using the clutch start cancel will wear parts. I believe it also let's your starter help move your truck forward if your off the brake. Like said before this is helpful if you stall on a hill and need to give a little gas to get going.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:27 PM   #15
Fuelled by plutonium and wild animals
Blumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Blumpkinson's Tacoma Gallery
Can you just have it in first gear and turn it over when the button is pushed?
Old 12-24-2009, 01:55 AM   #16
If You Search...You Shall Find.
uood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Uniform / Marked Patrol
uood8's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blumpkinson View Post
Can you just have it in first gear and turn it over when the button is pushed?
Yes...its made to be used in 4low, where your starter can move your truck without it running. Thats why its not on 2wd trucks...because they do not have the superlow 4low gear ratio.

put the truck in 4low...push the clutch cancel...start your truck...give it some gas and off you go.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:29 AM   #17
Blumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by uood8 View Post
Yes...its made to be used in 4low, where your starter can move your truck without it running. Thats why its not on 2wd trucks...because they do not have the superlow 4low gear ratio.

put the truck in 4low...push the clutch cancel...start your truck...give it some gas and off you go.
Damn that freaking sweet, im looking foward to stalling on a hill now. Im assuming it's not something i should use very often.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:37 AM   #18
BSP4x4
BSP4x4's Tacoma Gallery
^ remember...it's for 4L....how often are you just cruising along in 4L?
Old 12-24-2009, 06:58 AM   #19

Not very often, but when trying a hill climb it would be pretty fun to test it out.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:57 AM   #20
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
That's what I use it for every day without exception. The truck still works, no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alx_alx_69 View Post
Does anybody really know what the clutch start cancel is for, in the owners manual it says for extreme situations, not for normal use.
Extreme situations like what, my legs were eaten by the cougar in my passenger seat? The only thing I can think of this being used for is to start my truck in the morning without having to climb in and push in the clutch, but the manual also says not to use it on a daily bases so WTF?