Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Dash illuminated all the time

Old 12-24-2009, 08:09 AM   #1
prae has a spectacular aura aboutprae has a spectacular aura aboutprae has a spectacular aura about

prae's Tacoma Gallery
Dash illuminated all the time

I bought my '06 used about 8 months ago. One thing I've always wondered about (and haven't had much luck searching around for):

The gauge cluster is ALWAYS illuminated. Headlights on or off. The rest of dash only illuminates when the headlights are turned on.

Is this standard or something that was changed by the P/O?
Old 12-24-2009, 08:11 AM   #2
NWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NWtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
standard. it bothered me at first but it doesnt any more. just make sure that little green light is on if you're supposed to have your lights on.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:12 AM   #3
prae has a spectacular aura aboutprae has a spectacular aura aboutprae has a spectacular aura about

prae's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by I<3Tacos View Post
standard. it bothered me at first but it doesnt any more. just make sure that little green light is on if you're supposed to have your lights on.
Thanks. The only reason I ever think about it, is I occasionally will drive a few minutes without realizing my headlights are off. Usually when it's dark out, the gauges are hard to see, thus you realize the need for headlights.

I'm spoiled since my old highlander had auto lights.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:16 AM   #4
P-Dub is on a distinguished road

Name: Paul
P-Dub's Tacoma Gallery
You can just leave your light on all the time they will automatically turn off when you turn off the truck and open your door.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:17 AM   #5

prae's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Dub View Post
You can just leave your light on all the time they will automatically turn off when you turn off the truck and open your door.
True but leaving them running all day ain't my thing.

You are correct though. It's nice having a Body ECU take care of killing the lights when I forget to
Old 12-24-2009, 08:41 AM   #6
Terrier is on a distinguished road
Terrier's Tacoma Gallery
I think it is a nice feature; too bad they didn't light up the 4wd dial.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:09 AM   #7
Black Rock Taco is on a distinguished road
Army: Nat'l guard medic and supply sgt.
Black Rock Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Auto headlights

I installed a Direct Electronics DEI 545T; solar cell activated auto headlight unit. They can still be found for around $30. Needs to be hacked a bit, since our Tacos are ground switching. And it needs an extra switch wired if you ever want to turn the headlights OFF at night.

If anyone is installing one, PM me for info. For a simple install, it does not splice into the headlight switch wiring as the instructions state. Instead, the switched legs of the included relays are connected to ground, then to the headlight and parking light relays. Only time I touch my headlight switch is in rain, fog, snow etc.
Old 12-25-2009, 04:20 AM   #8
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
I just changed the brightness with the control knob on the left so that when the headlights are off the dash is dimmer than when they are on.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:21 AM   #9
bmka87 is on a distinguished road

Name: Josh
bmka87's Tacoma Gallery
This doesn't really pertain here but on my 97 tacoma SR5 I noticed this morning that all the dash lights came on when I pressed the brake pedal and I had the keys in my hand. Could this be something as simple as brake light failure or even something common?
Old 01-19-2010, 04:58 AM   #10
EnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EnolaGaia's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmka87 View Post
This doesn't really pertain here but on my 97 tacoma SR5 I noticed this morning that all the dash lights came on when I pressed the brake pedal and I had the keys in my hand. Could this be something as simple as brake light failure or even something common?
Probably a short or fault in the taillight units or the wiring. Start by checking your rear bulbs (both tails and brakes) and the ground connections. If you have a tow harness that's a likely suspect, too.