1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Installing lift how hard is it?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by comicnut25, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Dec 25, 2009 at 6:15 AM
    comicnut25

comicnut25 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Stanwood Wa
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD 4X4
    Ok so I thought about buying a lift (maybe a three inch) and installing myself I'm not totally mechanically inclined but I've never installed a lift can anyone tell me if it's worth trying or pay someone ? I want a three inch lift what's the best?

Oh and merry Christmas !!!

2. Dec 25, 2009 at 6:22 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Best is dependent on your budget and goals. Hoe much do you want to spend and what do you plan on doing with your truck???

As far as installation- I always vote for DIY- but if you aren't comfortable with mechanical work- Find a friend who is or pay up to have it installed.

3. Dec 25, 2009 at 6:25 AM
    tacoman101

tacoman101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    scott
    vermont
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma sr5 xtra cab 4wd
    blue led headlights, 285/75/16 grabber AT2's, custom pedals, custom shifter, flowmaster 40 series muffler, bedlinered fender flares, 2.5" lift kit via shackles and spacers, custom exhaust out the back, chrome exhaust tip, and Herculined bed, Weathertech floormats, Cabelas Trail Gear Camo Seat Covers ... Nice thing was I got the truck for $4000
    A small three inch lift should not be to difficult to install. If you have the right tools, then all you need to do is follow the directions. Keep in mind that you will encounter problems (stuck bolts, broken bolts, etc.). These are all part of the install, and will probably happen. If you don't feel you can install the lift saftly, then take it to a mechanic, becuase you don't want to skimp on this type of thing.

I put my lift in in about 6 hours, mainly cuase it was my first time around, and it took some de-rusting to get many bolts out. I work at a garage, though, and had a nice rotary lift and Snap On tools, so this helped me greatly. Whatever you do, make sure it is done safely.

As for a good lift, I reccomend anything from Toytec. These lifts are generally looked up upon, and have a wide range of costs. Hope this helps, and good luck with the install:D

4. Dec 25, 2009 at 6:33 AM
    Jigzor

Jigzor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    20 Gladiator Rubicon
    Steersmarts Draglink, Tie rod, Track Bar
    Christopher four by four convinced me on the Complete OME lift. Appears to be quality.:D

5. Dec 25, 2009 at 6:46 AM
    SamSter0077

SamSter0077 Happy Camper

Member:
    Katy, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD OR
    OME 886 Coils, and Struts, Rear Toytec TSB AAL/ OME shock absorbers, Fog Lamp anytime mod, Voyager Brake Controller.
    x2

x2 I am very happy with my OME. I would like to point out, the challenge is not installing the lift.. that is actually fairly easy. For me, the challenge was all the little bity things I had to do afterwards to get rid of Vibrations caused by lifting the truck. I would advise you to read all the threads in here related to Lifting in the "lifts & Suspension" topic. There is a great amount of information and posts from others that will make it a breeze.

6. Dec 25, 2009 at 6:49 AM
    choptop

choptop Molōn labe!

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner TEP
    If you have the right tools and can follow simple directions the install is relatively easy for most lifts. For coil spring replacement I suggest taking the parts to your local suspension shop and let them swap.

Ditto on any of the Toytec lifts- quality parts and excellent customer service.

7. Dec 25, 2009 at 6:55 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Hmmm.....That gives me a "Profesional" tone.....:D

8. Dec 25, 2009 at 7:17 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    yeah....RiIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHTTTTTTTTTTTTT

9. Dec 25, 2009 at 7:18 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    HEY!....well......your right.....:anonymous:

10. Dec 25, 2009 at 7:20 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Merry Christmas Bud!!

11. Dec 25, 2009 at 7:24 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    You too! :)

12. Dec 25, 2009 at 7:24 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Depends...lift installation itself with the right tools isn't that bad...but are you going to do other things as well?

Suspension lifts open a lot of cans of worms, potentially. A lot of people lift to add larger tires - but then you're altering your gearing ratios with respect to tire rotation and crawl ratio in 4-lo - regearing, though not necessary, is a good idea to retain power and crawl characteristics at the expense of fuel economy.

Larger tires with lift also will alter the braking characteristics of your rig, requiring longer breaking distances with the same brakes, or larger/more powerful brakes to maintain braking characteristics.

Then of course you have the potential for driveline vibes which need to be sussed out - could result in carrier bearing or differential relocation, new driveshaft, or even be completely unfixable.

Depending on how extreme you get with the modification, these items may need to be addressed or may not need to be addressed - a lot of that is the individual's preference. A shorter lift will likely require less of these ancillary items to still be satisfactory.

13. Dec 25, 2009 at 7:39 AM
    Jigzor

Jigzor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    20 Gladiator Rubicon
    Steersmarts Draglink, Tie rod, Track Bar
    So 'professional' that you misspelled professional. :rolleyes:

I don't take days off!!;)

14. Dec 25, 2009 at 9:15 AM
    NorthXNorthwest

NorthXNorthwest Well-Known Member

Member:
    Myrtle Creek, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    07 Sport DC 4X4 Not Debaged
    BHLM, Ultra Mammoths, Husky mats, K&N non true CAI, window tint, Avid Steps and light bar.
    JUst promise me you wont make a sprin compressor out cargo straps and a come along....

15. Dec 25, 2009 at 11:20 AM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    :eek:

16. Dec 25, 2009 at 11:46 AM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    If you are mechanically skilled, safety minded and have a good friend that is even more of the two... I'd say do it. Remember that's just me - I like to know how my rides are put together so when shee ite happens, you can have a higher level of confidence to either fix it (hopefully on the spot) or know when you should not even attempt to drive it.

I think if you are skilled, the more you know about your truck the better - especially if you are going to take it out of AAA range!

17. Dec 25, 2009 at 6:59 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    :annoyed:

18. Dec 27, 2009 at 5:33 AM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Installing a lift on your truck is very difficult and costs alot of money. I wouldn't recommend it for any geek off the street, you gotta be handy with the steel, if ya know what I mean.

Only two special shops will install it for you in the entire country, and they're usually booked up this time of year. Expect to pay them about 20 grand. I do believe theres one on my street!

19. Jan 9, 2010 at 8:43 PM
    vicstacoma

vicstacoma Guest

I totally agree!!! The more you know about your truck the better. It's not difficult to install the kit you just gotta take your time and not rush cause that's when things go wrong. I just finished installing a toytec 3" lift kit a couple days ago and it went really smooth, but it did take me about 6 hours cause it was my first time installing a lift. If i were to do it again i could get it done in half the time. I also rented that no good spring compressor from autozone which was worthless... i ended up taking it to a tire shop so they could compress the spring and add the spacer to the front end.

20. Jan 9, 2010 at 9:05 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Good job! :)

Products Discussed in