1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

:eek: Gears Shouldn't Look Like This!!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by HBMurphy, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Dec 25, 2009 at 4:49 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy [OP] Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    :burnrubber: Blow a ring (& pinion), drive backwards for about 10 miles and voilà:

[​IMG]

A recent trip to Hammers with All Pro Off Road, I lost my ass! :eek: Okay, well really I only lost my rear end. ;) [​IMG]

Great opportunity to re-gear and put a locker up front! Picked up assembled third members from East Coast Gear Supply (5 year warranty :D:thumbsup:) - 4.56s, ARB upfront and a High Volume ARB Compressor.

Install was very clean.

If you plan on doing this task at home remember to use the factory service manual - ttora nor cal has an . Also remember to ensure that the locker (if eLocker) is in the open position before you remove. Also, for form-in-place-gasket I didn't use the Toyota $50 :rolleyes: gold filled FIPG, I used the Permetex Right Stuff... and it's some gud stuff!

[​IMG]

The only problems :rain::

When removing my rear brake lines to install longer rear brake lines ( ). The assembly line workers/manufacturing engineers at Taco assembly land torqued the lines in to the point that the flare flared out past the ID of the threads of the fitting :smack:, so removing them was a bitch and re-installing was close to impossible.

I had to re-clock the rack in the locker mechanism since the service manual described install as though the actuator was in the open position and I had it in the locked position - come to think of this - I had the thing locked up the whole 10 mile race in reverse! :eek: Probably helped me stay straight while in reverse! ;)

The front had its little challenges too. When re-installing the clamshell assembly, the breather hard lines that mount on the top side of the clamshell was a bitch to get in the right postition - I did the whole install by myself * :sadviolin: so it may be easier if you have 2 peeps. Also, when putting the front axle I failed to read the service manual :evil: and found out the hard way that the axles won't go in :goingcrazy: unless the circlip's opening is open to the ground.

I've only had the truck on 2 outtings since the gear install/break in and what a difference! :rockband:

* To everyone that was generous enough to offer to help me with this task, THANK YOU VERY MUCH - I wish I could have taken you guys up on the offers. I was just crazy busy trying to close out the year and found myself doing this task 1 hour at a time.

2. Dec 25, 2009 at 5:04 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    way to turn disaster into a great chance for a mod. nice job! :thumbsup:

3. Dec 25, 2009 at 5:12 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Was it the little bits floating/sitting in the oil or the ground up ring that convinced you it was time to swap out??

Congrats on turning a mess into a REALLY nice upgrade!!!

4. Dec 25, 2009 at 7:15 PM
    pataco

pataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    drive backwards for 10 miles?:eek: oh my.wow sound like an awsome trip.good wright up as well.

5. Dec 25, 2009 at 8:30 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    HBMurphy, Thanks for posting pics and the writeup.

I am wondering if you could have replaced the ring and pinyon under warranty? I'm guessing you wanted to regear because if the larger tires?

I read that whole trip report yesterday after reading one of MonkeyProofs threads. The trail run looked awesome.

6. Dec 25, 2009 at 8:50 PM
    HBMurphy

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Nope just 33's

You mean our trucks came with warrantys? :laugh: Could have done it under warranty but I wouldn't have 4.56s and an ARB up front.

7. Dec 25, 2009 at 9:33 PM
    NorthXNorthwest

NorthXNorthwest Well-Known Member

Member:
    Myrtle Creek, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    07 Sport DC 4X4 Not Debaged
    BHLM, Ultra Mammoths, Husky mats, K&N non true CAI, window tint, Avid Steps and light bar.
    Woah, that thing is all ground up! Least ya gettign to swap it out for soem sick components!

8. Dec 25, 2009 at 9:36 PM
    VixTacom

VixTacom SYC TACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Victor
    Wayne, NJ
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5 TRD
    LED's and Neon Glow inside, Blacked out front end, 4X4 with Locking Diff, 5spd Manual, TRD package, CB Radio, Gray Wire Mod, Thrush exhaust system, Tinted marker lights, tailights, interior lights
    great job :D, love the out come!

9. May 11, 2010 at 10:49 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    When your ring gear exploded do you recall if the locker was engaged or not?

10. May 11, 2010 at 3:16 PM
    DrRabbitFurHead

DrRabbitFurHead Yeah, there's a TSB for that!

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    X-treme Off Road Edition (4x4)
    Icon Extended Travel Coil Overs, Fox Rear Resi 8-Way Adjustable Shocks, Light Racing UCA's, OME Rear Leafs, M/T Classic Locks 17x9, Nitto T/G (285/70/R17), 5mm Billet Aluminum Spacers, Demello Sliders, All Pro Front Plate Bumper & IFS Skid Plate, PIAA 510's, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, O2 sims, Rear Timbren's & U-Bolt Flip Kit , 3* Rear Axel Shims, Extended Rear Brake Lines, 48" Hi-Lift with a ton of accessories, Wet Okoles, TRD bed mat, Borla Air Filter, Garmin Nuvi 765T, Viper 5901 remote start, 50% tint.
    :p I've :turtleride: never :brianr: seen :smash: so :stirthepot: many :jerkoff: faces :boink: doing :infantry: different :annoyed: things :poking: in :bananadance: a:frusty: single :eek: post :lalala: before! :rasta: HA! :devil: :woot: ;) :D :cool: :rolleyes:

11. May 11, 2010 at 7:42 PM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1
  12. May 14, 2010 at 8:47 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    I read the All-Pro trip report and now I understand. Your ring gear blew when you were locked, and climbing up an obstacle (the one pictured in post #1). Your blown ring would not allow you to drive forward but it would allow you to drive in reverse back to safety. I got it! Thanks!

13. May 14, 2010 at 9:03 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    So thats what happened :D

14. May 14, 2010 at 9:18 AM
    1TUFFTRD

1TUFFTRD WTF

Member:
    out and about building powerlines
    Vehicle:
    06 AC with a skewp
    06 With a Skewp.
    Damn... another one bites the dust!

15. May 14, 2010 at 9:31 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
  16. May 14, 2010 at 9:55 AM
    HBMurphy

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    HBMurphy - FAILED! - I should have known how to properly use ATRAC and I am convinced I would have made it. I would have blown my 3.73 r/p some othertime, but I would have made that waterfall! ;) All-in-all I was very fortunate (You may think I am delusional) since I had a very good excuse to call ECGS and get re-geared!!!

One of these would be great on a X-runner, but I think I would rip that thing off on a rock on a local trail!

17. May 14, 2010 at 10:32 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    Traction bars ? they are almost on all rockcrawling trucks, unless truck is linked you need that. You had massive wheel hop which usually ends in breaking something (most of the time I saw, it was snapped u-joints) In your case it was R&P and I would bet money that wheel hop was main reason for it. When axle wraps and unwraps causes axle to wind and unwind very fast. When you are locked thats both sides putting strain on the R&P. So teeth on Rind and Pinion had slammed against each other. Finally giving out.

18. May 14, 2010 at 10:45 AM
    HBMurphy

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Good point :eek:

19. May 14, 2010 at 3:22 PM
    DrRabbitFurHead

DrRabbitFurHead Yeah, there's a TSB for that!

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    X-treme Off Road Edition (4x4)
    Icon Extended Travel Coil Overs, Fox Rear Resi 8-Way Adjustable Shocks, Light Racing UCA's, OME Rear Leafs, M/T Classic Locks 17x9, Nitto T/G (285/70/R17), 5mm Billet Aluminum Spacers, Demello Sliders, All Pro Front Plate Bumper & IFS Skid Plate, PIAA 510's, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, O2 sims, Rear Timbren's & U-Bolt Flip Kit , 3* Rear Axel Shims, Extended Rear Brake Lines, 48" Hi-Lift with a ton of accessories, Wet Okoles, TRD bed mat, Borla Air Filter, Garmin Nuvi 765T, Viper 5901 remote start, 50% tint.
    That was fun to watch, at least the first 8.5 minutes...

Products Discussed in

To Top