1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Taco or....

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by gizzygone, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Dec 27, 2009 at 8:49 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Your asking "Tacoma World" what we'd do lol...j/k bud

I'd say get the Taco. The 200k in debt outta be there a while...:thumbsup:

2. Dec 27, 2009 at 9:23 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Keep in mind most people run low octane on the Tacomas too (I don't, I use premium lol). So that skews it a bit as well. Most here prefer Tacoma's for their size and such over the Tundra, it's just what we want, just like you want a Tundra.

Honestly though, you're starting out with more debt than even my house sets me back. I'd be looking into paying that debt off as fast as I could, especially with a high paying job like you have. If the Jeep is annoying/insufficient for your needs.... throw it on craigslist and get a first gen tacoma or an econo box for a few years while you focus on getting your financial straight. Once you're more in control of the debt, you know your job is steady for sure, ect ect... then look into getting your dream vehicle, and go all out then when you can also have some free cash for mods :D

3. Dec 27, 2009 at 9:29 PM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    x2 wedding and paying off loans should be first priority... the tundra will always be there

4. Dec 28, 2009 at 5:16 AM
    gizzygone

gizzygone [OP] Hi. My name is Gizzy.

Member:
    Lol, which is why I'm surprised by the Tundra recommendations!

I had a bit of a revelation last night. I was researching all wrong. It's been very difficult for me to really research prices for vehicles, because I get blinded by actual costs. $30k doesn't seem much cheaper than $33k for me.

Well, I decided to play with some numbers last night. I would ideally like to live on 1 weeks pay every month, and throw 3 weeks at loans. Not factoring tax returns, and figuring a 1/3 loss to taxes and benefits, I should be able to pay off the loans by myself in 4 years.

Now, buying a $700 a month truck really wouldn't work with my original plan. But, a $400-500 a month truck would fit very comfortably. Heck, I could even get the payment of a Tacoma TRD model down to $300 with a very modest down payment... something I couldn't do with the Tundra if I tried.

So, if I were to buy, really all I could afford would be a Tacoma. I've considered used, but really, I'd rather pay the extra 2 grand to get a brand new model (these things hold their value better than my wrangler!). When/if I decided to trade up to the Tundra, I really wouldn't be losing much at all, so it seems like a sound investment to me (given that the jeep is acting up again... a lick over 2 years old and the power steering pump is going on me... add that to the leaking top, faulty clutch, broken parking brake, etc etc that I'm still dealing with, and you may see why I'm eager to get out of it with the warranty expiration coming up).

5. Dec 28, 2009 at 5:37 AM
    Afwrestler1986

Afwrestler1986 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Johnstown, NY
    Vehicle:
    01 trd 4X4 ex cab manual
    Gray wire, Some lights in the bed area, and some character marks throughout.
    All in all the Tundra isn't that much more than the Tacoma, the gas mileage isn't far off either. If it is what you want then why not? I would have one, but have no need for that size truck.

6. Dec 28, 2009 at 5:50 AM
    misterquad

misterquad Well-Known Member

Member:
    Shawnee, KS
    As a 46 year old, Mechanical Engineer, with a self funded education and I married my college girlfriend too (together 24 years) let me speak from experience.

1. Don't buy the Tundra yet. The extra debt and money stress will tarnish your dream. Been there!!

2. Wait a year or two and see how life shakes out. Number #1 reason for divorce is MONEY!!!

You set a goal and planned your education. Now, set your goals and plan your next ten years.

7. Dec 28, 2009 at 5:56 AM
    madisonsfinest

madisonsfinest Addicted to my DSLR

Member:
    Madison, WI
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC OffRoad 4x4 Debaged
    Factory Roof Rack Avid Offroad Light Bar 16" XD Hoss Truxedo LoPro QT Window Tint Autobot Emblem w/Autobot Shifter Color Matched Grille
    With all of that debt, I would avoid adding to it. Keep the jeep, its about paid off. Use that money to pay down your debt. Once you are comfortable with that, then go for what you want. The wedding is only going to create more debt, so not a good time to buy if getting married. Just mho

8. Dec 28, 2009 at 6:35 AM
    billyjoe

billyjoe Taco Fever - I've got it bad!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB V6 4WD LTD
    Extang Trifecta Tonneau
    On one hand Consumer Reports says "ITS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO KEEP HER". On the other hand, they also say they don't recommend ANY Jeep/Chrysler product primarily due to poor reliability.

Therefore, I would suggest ditching the Jeep while it's still under warranty and buying an affordable & reliable used vehicle such as a Hyundai Elantra. You can get a relatively new model ('06-'07) with under 10k miles for less than $10k that's still under warranty (5 yr bumper to bumper) and has all the creature comforts (power windows, mirrors, a/c, etc).

Make due comfortably with this vehicle for the year or two while we see how the economy shakes out. Chances are you'll be able to buy that Tundra for far less then if sales continue slowing. Better yet, buy a pre-owned Tundra in 2011/2012 from some hapless soul who bought a new 2010 and has to take a substantial loss to compete with lower prices for new models.

Regarding your school loan, make the minimum payment possible, buy gold bullion with the difference and let inflation reduce your debt! As the dollar loses value, gold will increase, and your debt will be inflated away! (Ok, substantially reduced anyway...)

9. Dec 28, 2009 at 6:43 AM
    2009Silver

2009Silver Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2009 Silver 4x4 DC TRD Sport
    WeatherTechs Bed Extender Bed Mat 3" Lift Spidertrax Clarion DVD HU Overhead Monitor
    1 then 3 is your best bet...

10. Dec 28, 2009 at 6:52 AM
    oofy15354

oofy15354 Proud Tundra *****

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Massachusetts
    Herculiner, Access Tonneau, Uniden cb, firestik antennae, Bosch Wipers, JVC Ipod headunit, Boston Acoustic Speakers
    I'd recommend ditching the Jeep (i hate jeeps :)) and getting a first gen tacoma or even a tundra. ive seen some really good deals on tundras lately (2004 limited trd offroad w/ 60k for 13 grand). i think a first gen used tundra would be perfect for you. it will give you the power and bed space you want but since its used, its much cheaper.

the price difference between a tacoma and a tundra isnt really that big especially used. it costs about the same to build them. both need the same amount of a laber, tacoma just uses less raw materials.

i hate owing money so id advise you pay off first then go balls out. but i also know how much it sucks to not have the vehicle you wanted (i got a 2004 reg cab 4x2 tacoma 4cyl and its just not fun to drive, but its what i could afford)

11. Dec 28, 2009 at 8:04 AM
    dktaco

dktaco Yes MAObama is a joke!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    So. Cal (D-town aka Downey)
    Vehicle:
    05' Pre-Runner SR5 6-spd Modded
    5100's set @ 2.5", Wheeler's AAL, Toyota factory trailer hitch w/ a Reese 3.5" drop ball, Gaylord's Tonneau cover, BLHM w/ 35w 6000k HID's, Lumincs yellow fogs, Sylvania 886 bulbs in taillights for reverse lights, Debadged, Dee-Zee nerf bars, Shorty black antenna, 3M rubberized billet grille & surround, Toyo Open Country AT's 31's, K&N intake, 40 series Flowmaster, Redline Racing Synthetic fluid all the way around, Wet Okole set covers, dash mat, Sirius Starmate 5 hardwired, Cobra radar detector hardwired, paint always taken care of the finest products from Autogeek.net and a Porter Cable dual action polisher.
    Pay off your loans...period!

12. Dec 28, 2009 at 12:53 PM
    Way2muchtime

Way2muchtime Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    99' 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 / 08 Toyota Matrix XRS
    +1 on who recommended Dave Ramsey. He gives great advice and help a lot of people with debt issues. Sometimes he can be a little harsh and smash your dreams (or what you think are your dreams), but its a good slap in the face to bring you back into reality.

$200k in debt and you are considering a new vehicle? Not trying to come off negative but this is part of the reason this country is in its current crisis. America is built on debt, loans and credit cards.

What year is your Wrangler? If its got the 4.0 high inline 6 and anything but the six speed manual for a tranny it should be good to go for a long time. 4.0's are great engines and will run for ever. My last Cherokee had 150k on it and didnt leak or burn a drop. Trannys are good too. If you really need to haul some stuff get a utility trailer, jeep will tow at least 2500 lbs or so unless its the LWB Wrangler.

Keep the Jeep and learn how to work on it yourself when the warranty is up. They are pretty basic and easy to work on. If something breaks and its not really important (trim, etc) dont sweat it. Top leaks? Its not supposed to even be on there, its a Jeep.

You will be much happier in the long run if you get your current debt paid down and save up a healthy down for a new truck later on down the line. Wranglers generally hold there value pretty well after they initially get smacked with depreciation (which yours already has).

Imagine going into the Toyota dealer and sit down to discuss financing options and you wave them off as you get out your checkbook :)

13. Dec 28, 2009 at 7:58 PM
    gizzygone

gizzygone [OP] Hi. My name is Gizzy.

Member:
    It's an 07 with the crappy new V6. I DO try and keep the top off as often as possible, but this past summer was raining non-stop up here. And when you need to wear a shirt and tie to work... well... Getting soaked isn't an option.

The top leaks onto the driver's seat. In the winter this means I hop into a block of ice on the seat, and in the summer I'm stuck with a moldy-mildewy seat. Not fun.. On warm days after a rain, the puddles of water that accumulate (even with the drains pulled), can evaporate and have on multiple occasions left my gauge clusters and all the electronics (lights, wipers, turn signals) dead, until the jeep dries out.

The jeep is easy to work on in terms of suspension and such, but everything else is now all electronic, so it's mostly all dealer work now. Plus, I live in an apartment complex without a garage, so it's difficult to work on her as it is.

Since the warranty will expire this summer, I'm really considering trading it in while it's still worth something, and before something expensive breaks.

The 200k in Debt is quite a bit... But I'll also be making enough to pay it down fairly quickly. I do recognize it being substantial, but even buying a Tundra wouldn't be completely out of my means.

However, I did sit down with my much more financially sound fiance (has been working making a healthy salary for 2 years now, living at home with the parents, and debt free), and we both decided no matter what, I will only spend $450 a month on a car payment. It'll allow me to comfortably live on $1200 a month, while I throw 3600 a month at student loans. That should allow me to have my loans paid off in 5 years. We'll be marrying in late 2011, so 4 years after I marry, we can start home-shopping with a clean slate.

14. Dec 28, 2009 at 8:13 PM
    tacobell007

tacobell007 Western Mass Automotive Coatings

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Eibach springs, OME Dakars, Walker Evans remote resi coilovers with adjustable dampening, Icon tubular uniball UCAs, Icon ext travel rear shocks, Kenwood in-dash nav receiver, Kicker 10 inch sub in a ported truck box, Alpine 250 watt amp, stickers, Rigid 32" gang box, LED tool box lights, 35% tint, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, 35x12.5x17 Mastercraft Courser MXT's, Fuel Off-Road Trophy d551 in 17x8.5, Retros, white corner marker bulbs, color matched front grille, custom satoshi grille mod with matching Toyota badge, aFe Pro5R drop in filter, diff breather mod, new frame from recall, SOS concepts front plate, SOS concepts rear high clearance plate with swing out and full size spare, SOS bolt-on sliders with kickout, 22" LED bar, flush mount pods in rear plate bumper for aux reverse lights, Rigid Industries dually's on SOS ditch light brackets, 5.29 Nitro gears, ARB front air locker, Detroit locker in the rear
    wait until your warranty is up then get the Tundra if that is really what you want

15. Dec 28, 2009 at 8:17 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    in my experience...id wait to purchase a new vehicle unless you absolutely HAVE to have one...not want...but NEED

i purchased my truck in 05 when i got a new job...paying quite a bit for just out of school

6 months later i was out of work and struggling to pay those bills

make sure the job youre getting is going to last for awhile before jumping neck deep into another loan before at least making a dent in the other loans you currently have

16. Dec 28, 2009 at 9:43 PM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    Whatever you do, DONT SETTLE. Nothing is worse than paying on something you dont LOVE. Either buy the Tundra already or wait til you can comfortably by it.

17. Dec 28, 2009 at 10:04 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    I'm with paying down some of your debts first, that's more important. Especially with that much in student loans. I was lucky to leave college with under $20k in loans.

18. Dec 29, 2009 at 12:12 AM
    Way2muchtime

Way2muchtime Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    99' 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 / 08 Toyota Matrix XRS
    Its a 2007 Wrangler? Bummer, 4 doors are cool but Jeep (Chrysler) had a brain fart when they put that cheezy V6 engine in it. Plus, its the first year of a brand new vehicle changed from the ground up so problems are almost expected.

Hmm... Thought about selling it on your own and buying used? Trade in on my old Cherokee was $1800, sold it on my own to the first looker for $3200. You will get way more money if you do it that way.

Find yourself a nice pre-owned first gen Tundra. Those are super nice rigs and tough as nails. I personally think they are built better than the current generation Tundra and look better. Find yourself one as new as possible and/or Certified and you will be good to go for a long time. Guy at work has a 98 Landcruiser with the same V8 and he has never had one problem with the truck in the 100k that he has had it.

Its ultimately your decision, but I have been in your position before and if I could do it over again I would avoided that nasty car payment. $450 car allowance is a lot of money, just think if you threw that at your loans too what kind of debt damage you could do.

19. Dec 29, 2009 at 5:21 AM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    Something else to think about if you're getting married.....you're wife might be thinking about wanting to get out of that apartment and into a house..... possibly have kids in a couple of years.....it's tough getting a loan when you owe twice as much as you make. It's all about priorities in life and you getting married and having a mass amout of debt, buying a new truck should be the least of your wants. If the Jeep is inconvenient, my recommendation is to sell it and get yourself into something like a used Honda Accord or Toyota Camry that will keep it's value when you go to get rid of it for that new Tundra. Keep that car a couple of years when you find out if your job is stable, then move into the truck of your dreams. Do you really need a truck, or just want a truck? YOu live in an apartment, how much stuff do you really need to haul? The job market is unpredictable due top the economy. You're lucky to be walking into a job out of college at $100K. I knew a couple of guys who left the military with high degrees of training into a 6 figure job, only to be laid off in less than a year due to downsizing. It's funny hearing all the young guys telling you to buy on impulse and the older guys telling you to think it over. Basically if you had to come here asking for advice the choice you need to make isn't the one you want to make. Good luck.

20. Dec 29, 2009 at 7:25 AM
    Toph

Toph Addicted to V8s

Member:
    If the jeep is that bad and is going to affect your job...get something USED to replace it. New cars are great if you have money to burn. You can get a great low mileage second gen taco for 15k.
    (cough <---)

Ride out some your marraige, pay off some debt, put some in the bank for a house or just let it earn interest for you.

Products Discussed in

To Top