Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Help....Can't decide on which brand nerf bars?

Old 03-11-2008, 08:56 PM   #1
baldtaco is on a distinguished road

baldtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Help....Can't decide on which brand nerf bars?

Okay,

So, I am looking on ebay at all the different nerf bars and to be honest I don't know one from another. Is there anything I should be looking for? Which are the best brands? Some are chrome and some are polished stainless, does it matter? One dude has a set of Westins for $100 bucks, are Westins any better or worse than the others. How much did you guys who do have them end up paying and where is the best place to look?

Wow thats a lot of questions isn't it.

Thanks for any input...
Old 03-11-2008, 09:14 PM   #2
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Dude $100.00 for westins is a good deal. I've heard several times that Westin provides a quality step bar. I personally liked the N-Fabs, but they did not make one for the access cabs and it cost way more. But yeah, you cant go wrong with Westin, according to buddies of mine with diff. Trucks... Just be sure to know your options.

Chrome: Strong but wont keep shine as long and likely to rust
(like old BMX Bike)

Black Stainless: Should not rust, but powdercoat can scratch off

Polished stainless: I got these, high shine, and if maintained will stay that way for a while.

Also; There are signature and platinum series, just depends on your wallet. I personally think signature will get the job done.

Hope I helped.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:09 PM   #4
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Westins are good - I had a set on my 96 tacoma. They were great until I went offroading and got high centered and bent them up pretty good.

If you plan on doing any offroading - perhaps you should look at some rock sliders (with steps) instead.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:09 AM   #5

thanks guys
Old 03-12-2008, 05:19 AM   #6
Mellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud of

Mellow's Tacoma Gallery
I really like the Romik step bars... not cheap but they are like the n-fabs, just a little different from what everyone else has. Still, I'm so cheap I squeak when I walk so the $$ thing is hard to overcome.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:58 AM   #7
My other ride weighs 200 tons
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4x4x4trd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Westins are good - I had a set on my 96 tacoma. They were great until I went offroading and got high centered and bent them up pretty good.

If you plan on doing any offroading - perhaps you should look at some rock sliders (with steps) instead.
I've had Westin Platinum on my last two trucks. They do mount up pretty high and are no lower than the frame. The platinum series in chrome plated stainless will take years of abuse. First, it's tough to knock off the chrome and then the stainless still looks good underneath. Personal opinion as there are a lot of good products out there.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:31 AM   #8
missileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shed
missileman125fw's Tacoma Gallery
These are on my truck. Polished Stainless.
http://www.runningboardwarehouse.com...ROD&ProdID=278
Old 03-12-2008, 10:45 AM   #9
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
I went with Shrockworks sliders on my truck. For as stout and purpose-built as they are, I think they look really good:

I ordered mine unfinished since I've already got a lot of other metal to paint, but they can be ordered powdercoated straight from Shrockworks.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:19 PM   #10
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
i'd put on a set of sliders- i'd bend a set of regular nerfs right off. if you want regular nerf steps, i'd definately go with polished stainless. rocks thrown from the front tires will chip the chrome and then they will get rusty. I do like the Nfab steps too, if i did steps they'd be my choice.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:06 PM   #11

Thanks guys for all the input....now I have another question about grilles but I will just repost it as a new thread.