1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

GPS location HELP!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jabrackin, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Dec 26, 2009 at 2:37 PM
    jabrackin

jabrackin [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD OffRoad
    I am getting my new GPS hardwired in my Taco next week and was wondering if someone could give me some helpful tips on where I could place it? This GPS has bluetooth so I would like to have it in a location that I can have a clear communication. Any ideas? Pictures of where others have theirs?

2. Dec 26, 2009 at 2:47 PM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    XM, Panasonic Stereo, Headlights,Electric Ant,Toyota Deluxe Wheels, Rhino Lining, Cargo Rails
    I like the bean bag on the dash using Garmin products. Which Garmin gps are you getting?

Yikes meant to tell you I don't use my bluetooth on my garmin because the road noise and engine noise makes it nearly impossible for the other person to hear you.

3. Dec 26, 2009 at 2:50 PM
    NorthXNorthwest

NorthXNorthwest Well-Known Member

Member:
    Myrtle Creek, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    07 Sport DC 4X4 Not Debaged
    BHLM, Ultra Mammoths, Husky mats, K&N non true CAI, window tint, Avid Steps and light bar.
  4. Dec 26, 2009 at 3:13 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Top left corner of the windscreen. Run the cable up the door pillar, keeps your vision field clear, lets you use the bluetooth and continue looking up and forward when referencing the GPS.

5. Dec 26, 2009 at 3:23 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    Few times I need to use my Garmin it just goes low in the center of my windshield next to my radar detector. Don't use the GPS too often so I won't be hardwiring mine.

6. Dec 27, 2009 at 11:51 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    Did the same, helps keep it out of sight, out of the sun also

7. Dec 28, 2009 at 12:00 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    not to get into a radar detector debate...but if you feel like you need one...it should be as high as possible to get as much distance as you can for it to go off sooner

however most of the time if its going off...youve already been clocked...

8. Dec 28, 2009 at 12:32 AM
    TimberT

TimberT Timberlicious

Member:
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 DC
    N-fab Nerfs, Weathertech Liners, Bed Mat, Eibach Springs, AFE Pro Dry filter, Dog slobber
  9. Dec 28, 2009 at 6:18 AM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    XM, Panasonic Stereo, Headlights,Electric Ant,Toyota Deluxe Wheels, Rhino Lining, Cargo Rails
    Skistoy did you ever use the bluetooth connection in your truck? If so how did it work? Could you be understood and could you understand the people talking with you?

10. Dec 28, 2009 at 6:29 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I've got the 265WT and I had to talk just slightly louder than normal to be heard clearly...and the folks I was talking with sounded fine and didn't remark about not being able to hear me or anything.

11. Dec 28, 2009 at 6:36 AM
    hendooman

hendooman The Stroker Ace

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma OR (SOLD); 2015 TRD PRO 4Runner
    Toytec TRD PRO LIFT with 1.5 SAW in rear, 255 Coopers, Baja Rack, Southern Style Front Bumper, Warn Wireless Winch, DeMello Sliders.
    lower left corner of the windshield, has been there for 6 months....I might try that upper left hand corner though as Brunes stated. Want to see if it messes up my view. I am so tall the windshield seems small anyway so that might not be a good place for me.

12. Dec 28, 2009 at 8:01 AM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    You may have already been clocked, but unless you were excessive speeding, most cops let you slide if you slow down after seeing them, at least in my experience. The detector just helps me to "see" them :D

As for location, I like the upper left idea too. That said, I'm probably just going to get the vent adapter for my Droid (Google Maps navigation)

Products Discussed in

To Top