Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

ARB Compressor Isolation Mount

Old 12-26-2009, 08:18 PM   #1
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
ARB Compressor Isolation Mount

So maybe I'm anal but I wanted to mount my ARB High Volume compressor on a isolation mount to minimize the buzzzzzzz that the compressor makes and who knows, maybe extend the life of the compressor.

Compressor Buzz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu-fdyYgp2g

First I made a hat section out of some steel stock from Lowes. I didn't have a brake so I had to make due with a hammer, a vice and some peices of wood. I think it came out half-way decent considering I was using farm methods.

Next, being that I am so green , I went to my local tire shop and collected my, now favorite isolation bushings - these are actually the rubber that they cut off from the valve stems to remove them. I like em!

Next I drilled some holes (taped the flanges with hammer to transfer location of the 3 studs on passenger side fender well and used the ARB backing plate to locate the ones for the compressor).

Note that I drilled out the ones for the compressor to 1/2 inch so that they would be large enough so that the bracket would not touch the bolts when I tightened them. A little primer, 2 coats of gloss black, a little time in my oven...

I put two of my new favorate isloation bushings on each compressor mounting bolt (one above the bracket with round end down and one below the bracket round end up). Then I tightened the compressor mounting bolts so that 1.5-2.0 threads are showing.

Tomorrow I'm going to mount this thing in my truck, wire it up and see how buzzworthy the mount is or isn't.

Oh yeah, sorry for the cell phone pics!
Old 12-26-2009, 08:51 PM   #2
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback07 View Post
I did the same type of thing mounting my Oasis.
Yeah... You've got a great rig with a great attention to detail! I'm jealous - I still want to see the tigerfan paint job!!!
Old 12-27-2009, 08:10 AM   #3
Ban Pending

Quote:
thanks! Your rig is turning out really really nice yourself!

The compressor isolation thing is a great idea. I like your use of the valve stem bodies... never thought of that. I used large rubber 'feet' for a couch or something heavy, also sold at Lowes. It worked pretty good. But my Oasis doesn't buzz like most compressors.... it growls. I need to make a video of it... its not a normal sound.
Thanks. I would love to have a york with a clutch running off the engine but I just can't see it fitting unless there's some major juggling of things up front.

But once again, you do it right and your ocd is really working for you!
Old 12-27-2009, 10:08 AM   #4
silver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: COIL
silver07taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to silver07taco
Nice work, I might try to do something like that for my viair in my tool box.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:08 PM   #5
Ban Pending

Quote:
OCD.. if you only knew... I've been working on installing the snorkel this morning.. got everything apart in about 15 minutes.. now I've spent the past 45 minutes measuring the template..over.. and over... and over. Now I'm going to lunch and when I get back I'll measure again.. just to be sure!
I feel your pain. I just did a 1 hour job that should have taken 15 minutes. Didn't like the idea of crimping electrical connections when I had perfectly good soldering iron, shrink wrap and heat gun!!!
Old 08-09-2010, 10:55 PM   #6
Santi will become famous soon enough
Name: Santiago
Santi's Tacoma Gallery
Hello I just installed the High Output ARB air compressor in ´05 4WD TRD Off Road Toyota Tacoma,And I wonder if you can give me a hand sending me some pictures of how should I connect the air hose for the tire inflation kit, I am kind of lost with all the fitting, since my Tacoma has the rear TRD electric locker, I am using the air compressor only as an accessory, for the moment I have no intentions to install a front ARB.

Can you please guide me on this little issue?
Best regards

Santiago Olachea

santiago.olachea@gmail.com
Old 08-09-2010, 11:26 PM   #7
Ban Pending

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santi View Post
Hello I just installed the High Output ARB air compressor in ´05 4WD TRD Off Road Toyota Tacoma,And I wonder if you can give me a hand sending me some pictures of how should I connect the air hose for the tire inflation kit, I am kind of lost with all the fitting, since my Tacoma has the rear TRD electric locker, I am using the air compressor only as an accessory, for the moment I have no intentions to install a front ARB.

Can you please guide me on this little issue?
Best regards

Santiago Olachea

santiago.olachea@gmail.com
I don't have that option installed but I know someone that does - let me get a picture from him and hopefully I can post tomorrow.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:18 AM   #8
Santi will become famous soon enough
Name: Santiago
Santi's Tacoma Gallery
Smile ARB Air compressor

Thanks, I really hope you can give me a hand, I emailed ARB in the USA yesterday and they have no reply yet.

But it is always great to get the information from the real world of off roaders and Tacoma drivers.

Thanks

Santi
Old 10-14-2010, 11:25 AM   #9
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
I know i know thread revival blah blah...did you ever post pics on the install?
Old 12-14-2010, 01:36 PM   #10
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
bump for more pics.