1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Truck Shipping?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by calbadose, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Mar 12, 2008 at 1:17 PM
    calbadose

calbadose [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Carbondale, CO
    Vehicle:
    01 Double Cab TRD Supercharged!
    2.5" lift, grill guard, topper, cat-back exhaust, TRD supercharger, 10" woofer, MTX amp, Pioneer head unit, yakima rack, bedrug, k&n air filter
    So my truck is on order as of yesterday from Bighorn Toyota in Glenwood Springs, CO. I am told that it will take a month and half to get here (ETA end of April)! Supposedly it is coming from overseas and then it lands in the port at Fresno, they put the TRD Cat Back Exhaust on, then it's on a train to Denver, then on a truck to Glenwood. Holy smokes that thing seems like it is covering about as much miles as I will put on it in its first year on the road.

I am a little suspicious of all this. Of course I could get one shipped from another dealer for $450 but I would rather put that $450 into my truck in the form of TRD Exhaust.

Has anyone had similar lenghty times waiting for a special order truck? I'm not complaining or being impatient as I could use the time to not be spending money at gas stations and saving for the down payment but I am a little suspect as to why it takes so long?

I would appreciate any input.

Thanks!

-Cal

2. Mar 12, 2008 at 1:20 PM
    calbadose

Member:
    Carbondale, CO
    Vehicle:
    2.5" lift, grill guard, topper, cat-back exhaust, TRD supercharger, 10" woofer, MTX amp, Pioneer head unit, yakima rack, bedrug, k&n air filter
    PS

Okay I'm a little impatient b/c I am friggin' excited to get a TACOMA!!!

3. Mar 12, 2008 at 1:55 PM
    j4x4ar3

j4x4ar3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 DC 4x4 - TRD Off Road - White
    Round Step Bars, Bed Mat, Cargo Bars, Rocky Mounts bike mount, JVC MP3 Head Unit, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, Rigid Industries front and rear light pods, dual HAM radio with remote mount heads.
    I waited 4 months for mine and it came from the Fremont factory only an hours drive from the dealership. Of course I special ordered mine with everything, VSC, Side Air Bags, etc... Since it was the first year they didn't make too many fully loaded ones at the time.

I'm surprised yours is coming from overseas. I didn't think they made the whole truck over there as import taxes are high on a full vehicle. TRD is usually done at the dealership as well .. interesting it has a stopover for yours.

4. Mar 13, 2008 at 4:22 PM
    45longcolt

45longcolt Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW Area
    Vehicle:
    2020 Off Road
    I waited two solid months on mine, my special deal was the color, Desert Sand, and the fact I wanted a 4x4 DC. It was worth the wait!:)

5. Mar 13, 2008 at 4:31 PM
    CNW

CNW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado Rockies
    Vehicle:
    4x4, Radiant Red, Chrome Wheels, Tonneau
    Mine took over two months. Came from Mexico plant.

Craig

6. Mar 13, 2008 at 4:46 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    It will be worth it, just think happy thoughts. :rasta:

7. Mar 13, 2008 at 4:51 PM
    calbadose

Member:
    Carbondale, CO
    Vehicle:
    Talk to the dealer like every day just hoping to get a status...there's gotta be a way to track it...I want to know...

i am siked! gotta get a trailer for the raft when the tax refund shows up but need a truck to get the trailer...not going for the cart before the horse situation...

8. Mar 13, 2008 at 5:01 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft

I thought they were all made in the US or Mexico as well... :confused:

9. Mar 13, 2008 at 5:07 PM
    calbadose

Member:
    Carbondale, CO
    Vehicle:
    Maybe my dealer just doesn't really know?

I will check back with him tomorrow on my daily call...

10. Mar 14, 2008 at 8:36 AM
    4x4x4trd

4x4x4trd My other ride weighs 200 tons

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 White Access Cab TRD OR, Debadged
    AFE oil free drop in, Secondary removed, tint, front D-rings, Toyota bed mat, Undercover tonneau, TRD seat covers and floor mats, Pioneer speakers, Westin Platinum bars, Fumoto oil valve, short antena, Nifty Xtreme's, TSB leaf springs, Bilstein 5100's set at .85" in the front
    Can you get a vin. number? If the first number is a 1,4, or 5 it is built in Fremont CA, If it is a 3 it is built in Mexico, right along with the composite beds that are on all of our trucks. ;)

11. Mar 14, 2008 at 7:32 PM
    j4x4ar3

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    Round Step Bars, Bed Mat, Cargo Bars, Rocky Mounts bike mount, JVC MP3 Head Unit, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, Rigid Industries front and rear light pods, dual HAM radio with remote mount heads.
    Not sure about the Mexico plant but the Fremont plant is also an on demand shop which means all the sheet metal bodies and such are done that day for the days production run. The frames roll out of the central valley and the rolls of sheet metal pass me every day on my way to work.

12. Mar 26, 2008 at 6:41 PM
    CDonC

CDonC Active Member

Member:
    PDX (I actually live in the airport)
    Vehicle:
    Hopefully '09 owner
    This may be a stupid question, but where and how do you order a vehicle? Is it if the dealership doesn't have a truck fitted with whatever options you want, they'll order it for you from the manufacturer?

13. Mar 26, 2008 at 7:58 PM
    j4x4ar3

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:

Best way I've found is put a request into the dealership through the internet. That way you can make contact with the fleet manager who doesn't work off of commission. If you walk in cold and a vulture swoops down on you they won't let you go until they've sold you something from the lot. Both my last two vehicles were done through fleet and I continue to go back to the same dealership because the experience was very easy.

Try COSTCOAUTO.COM and spec out the truck you want and then submit to a dealer in your area. You'll get invoice price on screen which can be used to negotiate your price as well.

14. Mar 26, 2008 at 8:32 PM
    CDonC

CDonC Active Member

Member:
    PDX (I actually live in the airport)
    Vehicle:
    Hopefully '09 owner
    Very interesting site, I didn't even know that Costco did auto sales like that. Do you usually get the invoice prices quoted from the site?

15. Mar 26, 2008 at 10:19 PM
    AK Backcountry

AK Backcountry Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eagle River AK
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road
    Snugtop, Scangauge II, iPod Adaptor, Redline Hood Struts, Removed Secondary Air Filter, De-badged, AFE Drop In, Westin Oval Steps Future: Locker Anytime
    My special order truck just got here yesterday (March 25) :D. Waited 2-1/2 months. It was worth the wait, but I know what you mean about being imptient. I'm glad the wait is over.

All I can say is it sucks to be you. :eek: Only kidding.

I though all of the new Tacoma were coming from Fremont, CA. I had not heard about one coming from overseas.

16. Mar 26, 2008 at 10:43 PM
    jungleman

jungleman There can be only one

Member:
    North California
    Vehicle:
    2005 Access Cab Indigo Blue
    I got mine through the costco program
    very helpful
    my local dealer wasn`t signed up but said they`d match the price

the waiting is indeed the hardest part

17. Mar 27, 2008 at 4:05 AM
    Angus_NB

Angus_NB Well-Known Member

Member:
    Riverview, NB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tundra DC SR5 4x4
    That's funny. When I bought my '05 I wanted Indigo. The only 4x4 DC SR5 I could find within 1000 miles was the same color as your's. :) If I wanted an Indigo Blue truck I would have had to wait 5 months for a 2006.
    I'm very happy with the color now. It never looks dirty.

calbadose; I think your dealer believes that Mexico is overseas. Maybe you should show him/her a map. The Tacomas are not built in Japan.
    Have you put money down on the truck? If not find the dealer that has the one you want and negotiate a price.

18. Mar 27, 2008 at 4:17 AM
    45longcolt

45longcolt Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW Area
    Vehicle:
    2020 Off Road
    Angus, I know what you mean. I have to look hard to see if it is dirty standing a few feet away! It was definitely worth the wait for me.

19. Mar 27, 2008 at 7:09 AM
    calbadose

Member:
    Carbondale, CO
    Vehicle:
    I ended up filling stuff out on smartcarbuys.com or something like that. Got the truck last Saturday (pictures to come this weekend!). 2008 DC TRD Off Road Indigo Ink Pearl for $26,496++. Best deal I could find in Colorado.

The dealership I originally ordered from was a little irritated but they'll get over it.

So far so good rather incredible. It's a nice move from a 4 cylinder Subaru to a very peppy 4.0L V6 Tacoma!

The mod bug is trying to bite me very hard but I have a wedding to pay for this summer so I have to hold off for a bit. Well I got a hood/bug deflector (the caddis' are already hatching so the drive home covers the windshield) and seat covers from Champion on ebay for $70 that covers all the seats to protect from my 4-legged copilot who goes everywhere with me.

As I mentioned I will get some pics up this weekend, might need a quick wash as the blue sure does show dirty but no regrets the color is awesome!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  20. Mar 27, 2008 at 7:15 AM
    j4x4ar3

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:

Yes actually.. CostoAuto is one of the few that actually uses the Chrome Standard pricing on their site as opposed to some of the site that use other resources for pricing. The Chrome Standard is the industry standard for pricing and should be pretty spot-on in terms of what they say the invoice price is for the vehicle configured. Accessories and other dealer stuff can make minor changes in the invoice price and price of the truck but the prices listed can really help when it comes to price negotiation.

When I bought my truck I had already decided what I was going to pay for it. The fleet manager offered me a price and I told her that I would only pay a certain amount. She left and came back a few minutes later my deal was approved. Probably helped that I have a 700+ credit rating and paid cash but I didn't have to spend an hour negotiating price.

Products Discussed in

To Top