LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Both low beam headlights out at the same time.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:30 AM   #1
bcy2k1 is on a distinguished road
Name: Ben
bcy2k1's Tacoma Gallery
Both low beam headlights out at the same time.

Question? I have a 05 Tacoma 4x4 4.0 and the both headlights (Low Beam) Went out at the same time. Something has to be wrong. I replaced the factory bulbs with the silver stars less than 4 mos ago. I checked the fuses under the hood and seem to be ok. Fog lights work and so do high beams. I called toyota and they say its the headlight swich but wanted to ask everybody what they think. Any suggestions before I spend $120 bucks on this? HELP!!!
Old 12-28-2009, 10:43 AM   #2
YGWYPF
RainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Naval Aviator
RainDodger's Tacoma Gallery
Nope, believe it or not, it's a common thing. I run higher wattage bulbs with a heavy wiring harness and every single time (3X now) I burn out one bulb, the other one goes within ONE day. Sometimes the same day. Daniel Stern (http://www.danielsternlighting.com ) confirms this happens a lot. I don't know if it's a spike in voltage when one goes, or something like that, but it happens a lot. I carry 2 spare bulbs at all times. Replace your bulbs and see if they go at the same time next time too. I would NOT spend any money on switches!
Old 12-28-2009, 11:03 AM   #3
bcy2k1 is on a distinguished road
Name: Ben
bcy2k1's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks,

I will try that. I just hated to put $50 dollar headlights in if they are not the problem. I will prob just go and get some regular ones and go from there. Thanks. appreciate it.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:32 PM   #4
Fortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fortech's Tacoma Gallery
Use a multimeter or a 12 volt test light. A cheap test light can be had for less than $5 and you'll be surprised how many times you will use it confirming power, looking for good grounds, etc.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:48 PM   #5
wolf13 is on a distinguished road
wolf13's Tacoma Gallery
I had that happen on my blazer, both lowbeam bulbs burned out the exact same time, check the bulbs first.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:53 PM   #6
If you want it bad, you usually get it bad!
Mark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LCDR Mustang (Ret) - 30 yrs - Submarine and Target Service
Name: Mark
Mark C.'s Tacoma Gallery
I believe there is a thread on here about bulb life....and the silverstars have shorter life expectancies.....and it is even pointed out on the silverstar package......(assuming you are talking about the ultras).

But ............I have had mine do the same thing on the 2000 Taco I had. I suspect there is a momentary surge as the voltage/current used on the circuit changes.