Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Looking for OEM/Dealer alarm system

Old 12-28-2009, 04:24 PM   #1
cjastacio is on a distinguished road
cjastacio's Tacoma Gallery
Looking for OEM/Dealer alarm system

Hi all,

I just bought my '10 Tacoma on Sunday and opted out of the dealer alarm install since it's so bloated a price. I'm sure I could easily install the same alarm for a fraction of the cost as I've done all the wiring for an alarm before. I also noticed that the alarm was deactivated by the salesperson within minutes which tells me that it was simply the brain that was removed from below the steering column. Could you all confirm if it was the VIP Security System, RS3200 Plus which the dealer had on the truck. Also a reference for where to buy would be excellent!

Thanks!
Old 12-28-2009, 04:57 PM   #2
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjastacio View Post
Hi all,

I just bought my '10 Tacoma on Sunday and opted out of the dealer alarm install since it's so bloated a price. I'm sure I could easily install the same alarm for a fraction of the cost as I've done all the wiring for an alarm before. I also noticed that the alarm was deactivated by the salesperson within minutes which tells me that it was simply the brain that was removed from below the steering column. Could you all confirm if it was the VIP Security System, RS3200 Plus which the dealer had on the truck. Also a reference for where to buy would be excellent!

Thanks!
Each dealer alarm varies. Usually by KARR and yes, they do cut the alarm off. It's a piggy back alarm designed to work with your current remotes. When I was at the dealership, I did notice they had a car alarm vending machine looking thing. It looks and works exactly like a vending machine with the pieces on display. It's just a little piece that get's plugged in to make the alarm work. The vending machine was sitting next to the financing office where they offer you the alarm. I have a factory alarm from a 2008 that I pulled out. I believe Toyota does not put alarms from the factory to be oem. They are all dealer options and aftermarket.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:05 PM   #3
tacopleasure is on a distinguished road
tacopleasure's Tacoma Gallery
Changing locks cylinder.....

wrong thread.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:16 PM   #4
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacopleasure View Post
Ok so as most of you have known that my keys was stolen and they have been entering my truck so now I've come to a conclusion that I will change all my lock cylinders; front two doors, and the ignition. Now my question is how hard is it to change these lock cylinders and how do I reprogrammed them or i need to take it into the dealer to do this for me.

I went to several dealers today and they've told me the cylinder and keys alone cost roughly $530 and the labor fee including the reprogram fee is $420 for a 4 and a half hours of work. So total came out to be close to 1K.
I believe you have to change the whole handle. Someone on here changed their with the ones with no key holes like the rear handles of the DC and didn't look that difficult. I suggest you get the ignition done by the dealership since you're gonna need a new key with the chip.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:30 PM   #5
cjastacio is on a distinguished road
cjastacio's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info, DriverSound! Karr sounds familiar but I'll ask the dealer to be sure. Any site references for parts?
Old 12-28-2009, 06:18 PM   #6
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjastacio View Post
Thanks for the info, DriverSound! Karr sounds familiar but I'll ask the dealer to be sure. Any site references for parts?
Unfortunately, I think Karr is a dealer exclusive now. They don't sell parts to the public anymore but I'm sure you can ask the local mom and pops stereo places and they might even have parts.