1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

replacing tires/rims

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by STR8_BEAST, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Dec 28, 2009 at 10:09 PM
    STR8_BEAST

STR8_BEAST [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    HB, SoCal
    Vehicle:
    07 PRERUNNER TRD OR
    MAGNAFLOW EXHAUST, SOUND SYSTEM, KENWOOD DNX 7140, WINDOW TINT, REAR TSB, FRONT COIL SPACER, SATOSHI MOD, BHLM, WHITE CALIPERS, CB RADIO W/4FT FIRESTIK, MAGLITE MOD
    right now my tires are running low on tread from the factory bfg rugged trail ta's and they are 265/70/16 and i have the upgraded stock rims. i am looking to replace them and i want to replace both at the same time, so i have picked the bfg all terrains and still havent decided what rims yet, but i am leaning towards the pro comp 7105 series cast black and i want to increase the diameter to 17". because the bfg's are a really aggressive tire i wanted to get them bigger like a 265/75/17 but was wondering if increasing them to a 275 or 285 and a 70 or 75 would affect performance/ handling or cause tire rubbing or any unwanted problems

2. Dec 28, 2009 at 10:37 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    if you're not running any lift, look for a 265/70/17. Thats the max size for them. Also, look for wheels that have as close to "0" offset as possible. Happy hunting :)

If you need help understanding how size is determined on metric tires... click the link in my sig. ;)

3. Dec 28, 2009 at 10:45 PM
    STR8_BEAST

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    HB, SoCal
    Vehicle:
    07 PRERUNNER TRD OR
    MAGNAFLOW EXHAUST, SOUND SYSTEM, KENWOOD DNX 7140, WINDOW TINT, REAR TSB, FRONT COIL SPACER, SATOSHI MOD, BHLM, WHITE CALIPERS, CB RADIO W/4FT FIRESTIK, MAGLITE MOD
    yeah thats what i was worried about. i dont want to go that big but i couldnt find a 265/75/17, the 265/70/17 were the only ones that stayed at 265 and 17. to get to a 75 and 17 they went up to a 275 and 285 which is the only reason i was considering it because i want the 75's

4. Dec 28, 2009 at 10:50 PM
    STR8_BEAST

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    HB, SoCal
    Vehicle:
    07 PRERUNNER TRD OR
    thanks, and i have the prerunner stock lift right now; im going to get a lift eventually but i was waiting for a little while so my bugdet could handle it. while we're talking about lifts i was thinking a 4 - 6 inch lift, but ive been hearing that lifts over 3 inches kill your cv boots

5. Dec 28, 2009 at 10:58 PM
    RelentlessFab

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    uhhh...you have a prerunner...2wd= no CV boots. ;) since you have a prerunner you can just do lift spindles in the front... they'll give you 4" of lift and keep the suspension at factory geometry. Then later you can add coilovers to get up to 7" of lift out of the front end if you wanted :cool:

6. Dec 28, 2009 at 11:17 PM
    STR8_BEAST

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    HB, SoCal
    Vehicle:
    07 PRERUNNER TRD OR
    :rolleyes: haha oops my bad. i was reading the lift forums and saw that so i guess i over read... but that definitely sounds good cuz thats right in the range i was looking to lift it. and i look for wheels with no offset but when i lift it i like the look of the wheels that come out from the wheel wells, i used to call that the offset but now i think im wrong

7. Dec 28, 2009 at 11:18 PM
    STR8_BEAST

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    HB, SoCal
    Vehicle:
    07 PRERUNNER TRD OR
    yeah they dont look skinny, i think it was just the stigma attached to seeing the smaller numbers that made me feel like they were small

8. Dec 28, 2009 at 11:43 PM
    RelentlessFab

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    Backspace and offset are related to each other. Backspacing is the measurement from the inside lip of the wheel to the back of the mounting surface an is expressed in inches, offset is measured in millimeters and is the distance from the centerline of the wheel to the mounting surface; a negative offset will come along with smaller BS numbers and stick the tire out farther. There is a happy medium between how far they stick out and what still allows your tires to clear. By sticking the tires out too far (small backspace, negative offset) you increase the arc the wheel and tire travel while steering any you will eventually run into clearance issues with the mud flaps, front body mount, and fender flares.

9. Dec 29, 2009 at 12:09 AM
    STR8_BEAST

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    HB, SoCal
    Vehicle:
    07 PRERUNNER TRD OR
    thanks for the info :thumbsup:

Products Discussed in

To Top