Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

No TRD Off-Road with the DC Long Bed?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-12-2008, 11:35 PM   #1
CDonC [OP] CDonC is offline
Member
CDonC is on a distinguished road
Joined: Feb 2008, #4870
Location: PDX (I actually live in the airport)
Posts: 42
CDonC's Tacoma Gallery
No TRD Off-Road with the DC Long Bed?

Ok, I'm not really that close to buying my Tacoma, but I've been doing PLENTY of online window shopping (I just can't stop looking at them!) but I'm pretty sure you guys know all about that .

One thing I've noticed, the dealerships in my area (Oregon) don't have the double cab long beds with the TRD Off-Road, just the Sport. Is this the same way everywhere? I go on trails a lot, so the Off-Road package would definitely suit my needs, but I also need the long bed for wood. Does anybody know if it's possible to get these two in the same truck?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:34 AM   #2
Senior Member
L8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant future
 
L8Rmike's Avatar
Air Force: Retired
Joined: Mar 2008, #5162
Location: Goose Creek, SC
Gender: Dude
Posts: 251
L8Rmike's Tacoma Gallery
The LB does not come in a off-road package. Don't know why. My guess is toyota did not want the locking pumpkin with the LB's longer driveshaft (guess only). You can get the LB and the off-road package in an access cab. If you need a DC, the Sport may be the way to go. I like mine alot, but I bought the 4x4 for winter trips up north. Check out TW, I sure there are folks who take the Sport into hairy 4x4 situations and "ain't skierd." Since your hauling wood on trails, look into all the rear spring TSB threads here. That's all I'm sayin'...just look. Good luck.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 06:31 AM   #3
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
maverick491's Avatar
Joined: Apr 2007, #1462
Location: South Jersey
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,077
maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDonC View Post
Ok, I'm not really that close to buying my Tacoma, but I've been doing PLENTY of online window shopping (I just can't stop looking at them!) but I'm pretty sure you guys know all about that .

One thing I've noticed, the dealerships in my area (Oregon) don't have the double cab long beds with the TRD Off-Road, just the Sport. Is this the same way everywhere? I go on trails a lot, so the Off-Road package would definitely suit my needs, but I also need the long bed for wood. Does anybody know if it's possible to get these two in the same truck?
It is not possible.

Sport with double cab long or short bed, but off road only comes in short bed.

I would guess the thinking is that the double cab long bed would have more of a chance to high center so they don't offer it, but that is just my armchair analysis of corporate Toyota's thought process.

You could opt for a sr5 double cab long bed, and get the 16in alloy wheels option, and then after they add the 08 to the suspension TSB you'd get the TRD suspension as part of the TSB, then all you're missing in the locker.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 06:41 AM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Citadel Div
SharkMan is on a distinguished road
 
SharkMan's Avatar
Marines: Landing Support Specialist, C company, 4th LSB
Joined: Feb 2008, #4600
Location: Charleston SC
Age: 30
Posts: 57
SharkMan's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to SharkMan
I don't understand toyota's rational on a lot of levels. I just recently found out the trail package is only available in white, black, and silver. I had hoped to order one in radiant red but much to my dismay that won't be happening.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:21 AM   #5
nd nd is offline
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts
 
nd's Avatar
Name: Nate
Joined: Mar 2007, #1047
Location: Greenville, SC
Age: 32
Gender: Guy
Posts: 12,740
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkMan View Post
I don't understand toyota's rational on a lot of levels. I just recently found out the trail package is only available in white, black, and silver. I had hoped to order one in radiant red but much to my dismay that won't be happening.
You talkin about the rugged trail? if thats what you're talking about then its a damn shame they dont offer it in red. the red and black would look really sharp together
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:22 AM   #6
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
piercedtiger's Avatar
Name: Jon
Joined: Oct 2007, #3284
Location: B.F.E., NY
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,207
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick491 View Post
It is not possible.

Sport with double cab long or short bed, but off road only comes in short bed.

I would guess the thinking is that the double cab long bed would have more of a chance to high center so they don't offer it, but that is just my armchair analysis of corporate Toyota's thought process.

You could opt for a sr5 double cab long bed, and get the 16in alloy wheels option, and then after they add the 08 to the suspension TSB you'd get the TRD suspension as part of the TSB, then all you're missing in the locker.
A couple additional things come to my mind as well. Along with the higher risk of high centering (hell, I did that with my SB before a lift so image an even longer wheelbase...) it's not as maneuverable on tight or narrow trails. Couple the larger turn radius with someone trying to use the locker in 4LO on some hairy trail and it might be like trying to turn the Titanic!

Not that people couldn't use it properly, but Toyota might not want the risk of some, uhhhh, "less informed" people using it, trashing the truck, and suing them over it.

What do you plan on hauling anyway (besides firewood)? An ATV or bike? That's the only thing I can think of quickly where the extra foot would help. Most lumber is at least 8ft long in standard lengths so that will hang off the tailgate of either truck. (I've loaded my SB up with wood, and wood pellets.)

Something to keep in mind is the DC LB actually has 85lbs LESS load capacity than a DC SB 6spd. So for that extra foot in length, you're not getting an increase in weight capacity. So if you stack the wood right, you can technically carry more in a SB.

Now, if the LB had, say, 200-300lbs more capacity I'd say go for it! But you want off road options, sounds like the locker might be more useful, and you want to carry a bit of weight it seems. The locker would probably be more useful on muddy logging roads or forest trails if that's where you get wood.

Let me explain it this way. With the LB's extra foot I'd be able to cram the last 10 or so bags of pellets (40lbs each) in the truck because there is room for them. However, based on the weight capacity I should put in 2 bags less than the SB can carry. So it's easier to overload the truck with the LB.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:33 AM   #7
Senior Member
Demoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud of
 
Demoncleaner's Avatar
Joined: Jan 2008, #4065
Location: Upstate NY
Gender: Male
Posts: 516
Demoncleaner's Tacoma Gallery
If you need the LB 6ft bed over pure off-road ablity, get it, its a nice option. But your tranny and Pkg options are less. Auto only & Sport or SR5 pkg.

If you can get away with a SB 5ft bed and extender, you got alot more to choose from... Auto or manual, OFF-road, SPort, or SR5 pkg.

If your sold on the LB TRD Sport, its LSD & 4wd (especially w/ better set A/T tires) will more than meet the needs of most people's idea off-road situations.

Obviously, if your going to be off-road alot or hitting extreme terrain like deep mud or wheel in the air axle twisting rock trails, you'd def want the SB w/ the Off-road's rear locker, and skid plates, and better stock tires.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:44 AM   #8
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
piercedtiger's Avatar
Name: Jon
Joined: Oct 2007, #3284
Location: B.F.E., NY
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,207
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncleaner View Post
If you need the LB 6ft bed over pure off-road ablity, get it, its a nice option. But your tranny and Pkg options are less. Auto only & Sport or SR5 pkg.

If you can get away with a SB 5ft bed and extender, you got alot more to choose from... Auto or manual, OFF-road, SPort, or SR5 pkg.

If your sold on the LB TRD Sport, its LSD & 4wd (especially w/ better set A/T tires) will more than meet the needs of most people's idea off-road situations.

Obviously, if your going to be off-road alot or hitting extreme terrain like deep mud or wheel in the air axle twisting rock trails, you'd def want the SB w/ the Off-road's rear locker, and skid plates, and better stock tires.
Speaking of hauling wood in a SB....

Here's Demon's SB hauling wood with his Home-Made Bed Extender (patent pending)




Or just check out the link in my sig for more info on the extender.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:32 PM   #9
Member
Layzboy will become famous soon enough
 
Layzboy's Avatar
Name: Rob
Joined: Nov 2006, #262
Location: Glendale,AZ
Gender: Male
Posts: 87
Layzboy's Tacoma Gallery
Long bed with rear locker

Even though you can't get TRD Off Road with Long Bed You "CAN" get a rear Locker on the Long Bed without the Off Road Package on the SR5. That came from Dianne at Carson Toyota. That may change with the '09 Taco as some changes are coming but who knows.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:41 PM   #10
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
piercedtiger's Avatar
Name: Jon
Joined: Oct 2007, #3284
Location: B.F.E., NY
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,207
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layzboy View Post
Even though you can't get TRD Off Road with Long Bed You "CAN" get a rear Locker on the Long Bed without the Off Road Package on the SR5. That came from Dianne at Carson Toyota. That may change with the '09 Taco as some changes are coming but who knows.

Interesting... The "build your own" section on Toyota's website doesn't give an option for getting a locker on the LB. Then again, with the new website design they don't break down the packages real well anymore either.

Still, you could always install an ARB air locker later. Would require swapping out the LSD though. And cost at least $1500 last I heard.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:45 PM   #11
Member
Layzboy will become famous soon enough
 
Layzboy's Avatar
Name: Rob
Joined: Nov 2006, #262
Location: Glendale,AZ
Gender: Male
Posts: 87
Layzboy's Tacoma Gallery
Long Bed rear Locker

Very Interesting. Even when I looked into this issue Toyota'a site said nothing about the locker being available as an option other than with the Off road package. In speaking to Dianne she said you Can. I guess it's one of those deals that you really have to talk to someone that truly knows what the true deal is on options. Also the dealers want you to buy whats on the lot and not order what you truly want.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 04:10 PM   #12
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
piercedtiger's Avatar
Name: Jon
Joined: Oct 2007, #3284
Location: B.F.E., NY
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,207
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
That makes it sound like it's hard to get. Like maybe limited by region, or special order only. And probably not special order off the website unless a certain region offers it. Unless she was mistaken. I've never heard of anyone getting something other than a Sport LB so it can't be very common.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:55 PM   #13
CDonC [OP] CDonC is offline
Member
CDonC is on a distinguished road
Joined: Feb 2008, #4870
Location: PDX (I actually live in the airport)
Posts: 42
CDonC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedtiger View Post



What do you plan on hauling anyway (besides firewood)? An ATV or bike? That's the only thing I can think of quickly where the extra foot would help. Most lumber is at least 8ft long in standard lengths so that will hang off the tailgate of either truck. (I've loaded my SB up with wood, and wood pellets.)

Something to keep in mind is the DC LB actually has 85lbs LESS load capacity than a DC SB 6spd. So for that extra foot in length, you're not getting an increase in weight capacity. So if you stack the wood right, you can technically carry more in a SB.
Yeah, I do have a 4-wheeler, and I didn't know that about the short-bed. I'm actually going to go see a dealer, so I'll get to have an up close look at what I'm dealing with here. I guess I could settle for the Sport and see what I would need to do for my purposes. I'll let you guys know what I come up with.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'10 Super White DC Long Bed TRD Sport Build mgage10 2nd Gen. Builds 72 11-29-2012 02:43 PM
WTB- 05-08 Tacoma TRD OR, DC, long bed DirtyDawg Buy / Sell / Trade 5 05-24-2011 04:12 PM
Wtt long bed dc for sb dc copeman Buy / Sell / Trade 0 11-20-2008 09:12 PM
taco long bed or tundra short bed for oof road? bra 2nd Gen. Tacomas 4 08-08-2008 06:36 AM
Pickuptruck.com road tests a Supercharged.... DC long bed? Demoncleaner 2nd Gen. Tacomas 12 03-12-2008 07:16 AM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.