1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

WTFFF. 09 won't start, NEED HELP ASAP

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by dustin81, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Jan 3, 2010 at 7:06 PM
    Bryan07sport

Bryan07sport Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Smyrna, Delaware
    Vehicle:
    '22 TRD off-road.
    Bilstein 6112/5100. Icon progressive AAL. Overland Torque Tune. Toyota roof rack. Toyota bed extender. Gator trifold tonneau. Bora .75" wheel spacers. 265/75r16 tires.
    hey so they replaced the immobilizer computer and it's working fine now. hopefully this'll be the trick for me. good luck to everyone else.
    -Bryan

2. Jan 3, 2010 at 8:41 PM
    aaronk

aaronk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Dbl Cab V6 TRD
    Seems like a few 09 are having this issue, mine included, although not to the extent of the OP. In the 6 months I've had the truck it's done it probably 4 times, but I can always get it to start after I key off and try it a second time. Sounds/runs like shit for a couple seconds after it fires up after one of these occurrences though....

3. Jan 8, 2010 at 4:26 AM
    dustin81

dustin81 [OP] DUSTOFF

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    09 TaCo Lifted TRD
    PRO COMP 6" Lift Stage II PRO COMP 2.75" Coilovers PRO COMP MX-6 shocks PRO COMP skid plate Bushwacker Fender Flares Smittybuilt Chrome Steps KC Chrome 6" SLIMLITES Billet Custom Grill JDM window vent visors Window Tint Flowmaster TRD CAI
    Update: made it back to NM ok... just kept it running for the whole 10 hour drive. never shut it off, even during fill-ups, for fear it wouldn't start and i'd be stranded...again. Been home a few days, with no issue, but i'm taking it to the dealer monday morning, ill update.

also just a side note: the commonalities thats all 4 times it hasn't started have been when i parked it for the night and it was colder than 20 degrees F. when i went to start it the next morning... could be realated, who knows.

4. Jan 8, 2010 at 6:21 AM
    GSB

GSB Well-Known Member

Member:
    Odenton, MD 21113
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport DC Long Bed
    My 2009 wouldnt start on a few occasions since I bought it. It always started on a second or third try. It would run rough for a little while and be fine. I never thought much of it untill reading this thread. I will be keeping an eye on it.

5. Jan 8, 2010 at 2:35 PM
    Frogdaddy

Frogdaddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ga.
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Pioneer MVH-p8200 hu with XM receiver using TSS supplied shark fin cable, Mud Flap cut mod.
    It's cold here. My scenario is it started this a.m., afternoon, but not this evening. Not sure what's up. Will mention it to dealer when i decide to take it in. Not sure if it's cold or key related. Mine is a 2010 about 3 months old. Barely 2k on it.

6. Jan 8, 2010 at 3:25 PM
    Toymaker

Toymaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    DC
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra RCSB 4x4 TRD OR, Black
    I had the exact same problem several years ago one Winter with a Honda Accord I owned. Apparently i'd gotten some water somewhere in my gas line probably due to some bad gasoline. Every time the temperature went below freezing it would have trouble starting.

I ran a couple of cans of that gas line anti-freeze stuff through the tank and never had a problem afterwards.

7. Jan 8, 2010 at 3:58 PM
    aaronk

aaronk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Dbl Cab V6 TRD
    I don't think it's necessarily weather related. I had my 09 parked outside in the dead of winter in Montana for a few nights and it started right up. Couple months prior it wouldn't start up in the 40 degree weather here in Washington.

8. Jan 10, 2010 at 5:54 AM
    linkfeeney

linkfeeney Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    link the stink!
    Sewell, NJ Eh!
    Vehicle:
    09 Doublecab TRD Off-Road! Magnetic Grey!
    dude, is a Lemon!! Just get a lawyer involve and they will get you a new car bud!

9. Jan 10, 2010 at 6:23 AM
    SamSter0077

SamSter0077 Happy Camper

Member:
    Katy, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD OR
    OME 886 Coils, and Struts, Rear Toytec TSB AAL/ OME shock absorbers, Fog Lamp anytime mod, Voyager Brake Controller.
    x2 or is it 8 now?

:rant:x3

I don't know the Taco's that well, but on the BMWs there is a coil that powers the key when it's inserted in the ignition. It can cause these exact whacked out problems too.

Glad you made it back.. Sadly, you have the motherfucker of all Taco problems.. one that the dealer can't reproduce.. A part that does what it is supposed to some of time, and it may never fully fail. Have you personally spoken with Toyota about your concerns? Sounds like you have been to several dealers, and no Tech really wants to own that problem. You might need one of their Toyota Guru Techs...

10. Jan 10, 2010 at 6:47 AM
    z33tec

z33tec Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 Access Cab 4cyl
    Man that really sucks. Like I mentioned before, my girlfriend was having a random issue like this one with her wipers and they eventually just had to take a guess and start replacing some parts that would most logically be the problem. This was GM. I would expect even better service from a Toyota dealership but it doesn't look like you've gotten that from the ones you went to.

11. Jan 10, 2010 at 6:19 PM
    redrx8

redrx8 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sure sounds like an immobilizer problem, my mom's civic went through 3 immobilizers and it is still acting up. Honda has a set of instructions by pressing the brake pedal a certain amount of times and turning the key after every sequence of brake pedal pressing that bypasses the immobilizer. The mechanic told me about this after having to tow the car to the dealer. Works fine to start the car, just wondering if Toyota has a similar thing for the tacomas.

12. Jan 10, 2010 at 8:57 PM
    ksj

ksj Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cavalry Blue TRD Pro
    265/70-17 KO2
    ^^ +x

You should look around and be sure nothing that could cause EMI (Electro-Magnetic Interference) is turned on when the problem occurs. Could be a faulty cell phone, PSP, etc. that is causing interference with the key/immobilizer communication.

13. Jan 11, 2010 at 3:17 AM
    saf023

saf023 Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen TRD Sport DCSB 4X4
    Valves freezing even sounds like a load of BS. Hope to hear the solution to this one soon!

14. Jan 12, 2010 at 3:01 AM
    dustin81

dustin81 [OP] DUSTOFF

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    09 TaCo Lifted TRD
    PRO COMP 6" Lift Stage II PRO COMP 2.75" Coilovers PRO COMP MX-6 shocks PRO COMP skid plate Bushwacker Fender Flares Smittybuilt Chrome Steps KC Chrome 6" SLIMLITES Billet Custom Grill JDM window vent visors Window Tint Flowmaster TRD CAI
    thanks for all the helpful tips everyone.... here is the latest. ive had a hectic schedule the last couple of days, havent had a chance to take it in, but get this.

early saturday morning, i go outside, load my truck for N.G. drill weekend. what do ya know. same shit new day, wont start. i try and try. so i load my wife's car and go tell her the truck wont start again and i need her car for the day, naturally she is pissed. so as im about to leave i thought i'd try her key to the truck. tried it, holy shit it started right up. WTF. no problems the rest of the day useing her key.

next morning, sunday. wake up go outside, load truck, now it wont strat with her key. so i try mine and it starts right up. So does this mean we can all conclude it is the key immobilizer computer? or is my truck a lemon?

15. Jan 12, 2010 at 4:40 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Sorry this is happening to you. Though I do not know what your issue is, FORTECH is a good source along with some other smart folks (I did read all the postings), so yes engine immoblizer gets my vote. Here is a bump & Good luck and get the dealer to fix it pronto!

16. Jan 12, 2010 at 4:59 AM
    SamSter0077

SamSter0077 Happy Camper

Member:
    Katy, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD OR
    OME 886 Coils, and Struts, Rear Toytec TSB AAL/ OME shock absorbers, Fog Lamp anytime mod, Voyager Brake Controller.
    It Definitely has to do with that Immobilizer circuit. Probably the Module or computer/brain that controls it. Continue to swap keys whenever the other won't work, and share that Great piece of info with your local service department.. that should raise big falgs for them.

17. Jan 12, 2010 at 5:04 AM
    ENIGMA206

ENIGMA206 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Palm Bay, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 4X4 Off-Road DC
    Tunes Tonneau On-board Air Firestone Air Bags
    Dustin,

Take it from someone with the experience, stop messing around with it. Take the rest of the steps to get your lemon law activated. Fighting a lemon dispute is a pain in the ass and very drawn out (at least it was with GM). The sooner you get the three mandatory service attempts out of the way, the faster things will get going.

I don't know how it works from state-to-state, but here in Florida the lemon law card gets sent to the state's attorney general's office. When they get it, the dealer starts doing backflips to help out. In my case I ended up with a new truck. It took eight months, but it was finally resolved.

18. Jan 12, 2010 at 9:37 AM
    HankB

HankB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hank
    near Chicago
    Vehicle:
    06 Preruner TRD Off Road
    bone stock
    I don't know if that is conclusive. Did you have your taco key with you at the time your wife's car key worked? I know of keyless systems that only require that the key card only needs to be close to the car in order for it to start. They use the same technology as the immobilizer.

lastly, it does seem that the problem is consistent with a problem with the immobilizer. I know some recent BMW motorcycles that used this technology and had difficulties that would strand the rider.

I agree with the other poster who suggested starting the lemon law process. There is no reason you should have to continue dealing with this and that will put pressure on the dealer and Toyota to resolve this to your satisfaction, either by fixing or replacing the vehicle.

good luck!

19. Jan 12, 2010 at 1:44 PM
    MGRS

MGRS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '20 Tundra OR
    Like others have said, I would be using the lemon law to hold their feet to the fire. There is no reason you should be subjected to this.

For the record, mine does not like cold either. It will usually not start unless I leave it on "ACC" for a moment, and often requires taking the key out and trying again.

20. Jan 15, 2010 at 5:26 PM
    dustin81

dustin81 [OP] DUSTOFF

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    09 TaCo Lifted TRD
    well, thanks once more for the suggestions. i think i a going to go forth with the lemon-law dispute. my truck has been at the dealer two days now and i have called yesterday and the day before, they never called me. when i dropped my truck off, i found my salesman explained the issue and he lead me to the ASM. i gave the ASM the letter from Brent Brown Toyota in Utah (SEE ATTACHED PICTURE SCAN). and explained the issue. He proceed to ask me a few questions about aftermarket mods. such as my CB, when did i install it, and if the problem happened after i installed it. and if they could trace the cause to aftermarket maods that it would not be covered under warranty. I received a rental car (2010 corolla s) from them free, if the problem is covered under warranty.... so i called them yesterday, they said they had started it numerous times, and had done multiple tests and could find nothing wrong. They could do NOTHING until the issue duplicates. I asked why they couldn't just replace the immobilizer computer, based on what brent brown said, and the specific times it does it. they said its not enough of a guarrantee that, that is the issue, and they "...cant just fix it by throwing parts at it, what if we replace it and the issue still happens, then we replaced a good part."... "you need to just be patient". So i call today at 4:30 right before close, since they didn't call me all day, and they said that they have opened another case with toyota, but made no progress, and are closed until tuesday, but he expressed that i would have the rental car at no charge for the 3 day week end.... So tomorrow i will begin the Lemon- Law Process, and enjoy the next three days beating the shit out of the rental car.
    l_43463f69d1e34d3c8a1dd40cc681c527_838215ff602aec24535fde747908b3d8cba59cff.png

Products Discussed in

To Top