LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tacoma vs Taurus

Old 12-29-2009, 07:58 PM   #1
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Angry Tacoma vs Taurus

Like many others, I too damaged my Tacoma due to snow. I just got back from my snowboard trip in Utah. Broken finger, busted back, strained shoulder and damaged truck later finally home. Truck injuries and bodily injuries are unrelated.

As for the truck, I was heading south on I-15 in the left(fast) lane with a decent flurry. I came up to the Ford Taurus who was in the left lane going SLOW and no one in the right. I gave him a chance to go to the right lane but he refused. So I went to the right to pass him. As I was passing we headed up a left hand turning incline. When the automatic transmission on my truck downshifted I lost traction in the rear. The rear drifted to the shoulder and I reacted by countersteering so I wouldn't hit the Taurus. As soon as traction was regained in the rear it shot straight across to the Taurus who was on the left of me thus creating an "accident".

It looks like just the left bedside is bent and tail light is broken. I want to try and fix it myself to stay under my $500 deductible.

1. Where can I purchase a used/new bedside?
2. Any tips on how to pull/pound out the dent?

Old 12-29-2009, 08:06 PM   #2
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
that dosent look like you need a new bedside. A good body shop can fix it. tail lights, try ebay. Your best bet would be to go throu insurance, seeing as that dent will probably be over $500 anyways since they have to repaint the beside and the dent is right on a body line, and put a new sticker on. Not to mention if anything is bent on the inside, almost looks like the bumper is bent?
Old 12-29-2009, 08:10 PM   #4
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
almost looks like the bumper is bent?
No, it's just the angle of the pic.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:40 PM   #5
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Dude it really looks like your bumper is tweaked, not a big deal but the plastic is up on the impact side lol... It's a truck though, and a chromie bumper at that ;p

You'll have to get it pulled and fixed, then repaint that side (or at least a large section then fade into the other paint) All in all though, it looks all pretty superficial... minus the tail light which would be 'illegal' to use at the moment.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:22 PM   #6
bundy
boostin04sti has a spectacular aura aboutboostin04sti has a spectacular aura about

Air Force: 75th SFS Military Working Dog Handler
boostin04sti's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to boostin04sti Send a message via Yahoo to boostin04sti
If your looking for a good body shop in Vegas, try Pacific Custom Paint. They dont usually answer their phone, but their work is outstanding.

2600 Dalhart Street
Las Vegas, NV 89121-1542
(702) 471-6887
Old 12-29-2009, 11:33 PM   #7
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
.... and this is why you dont drive 70 in the snow.
Good luck fixing, and I agree, its gonna be over $500 so just get insurance involved.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:11 AM   #8
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Yeah...I don't see any way that it isn't going to cost over 500 bones.
The bumper does look tweaked.
Is that line from the bumper that goes forward to the fender flair a crease?? Cause if it is most body shops would rather put a new bedside on insted of fixing it. My scion had a smaller fold then that and they decided to put a new body panel on it.

Good luck...and i hope the lesson is learned- Snow is no joke.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:18 AM   #9
Banned
Masada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Taylor
Masada's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to hear that man, I think I saw someone selling a White bed side (driver and passenger) in the FS section, but they were in Canada IIRC.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:32 AM   #10
SportyTuRD is a jewel in the roughSportyTuRD is a jewel in the roughSportyTuRD is a jewel in the rough

SportyTuRD's Tacoma Gallery
I had that exact same damage to my tundra...Cost me $1400 to have the toyota body shop fix it...They cant do much with teh dent as far as pulling it out because if it is on a body line such as the wheel well, it will never look right...

They replaced my whole right bedside, repainted and all the moldings,decals, mudflaps (once they come off they dont dont back on very well., etc...I didnt need tail light or bumper...even the bedside at My toyota cost (i worked there) was $450...
Old 12-30-2009, 09:02 AM   #11
Yeah, there's a TSB for that!
DrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DrRabbitFurHead's Tacoma Gallery
Look into the Armortech full rear bumper. If you go through insurance they'll give you enough to buy the bumper and you'll need to cut the bed side to clear it anyway so you may not need much 'repair' work and you'd end up with an awesome rear bumper!
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/armor-tech-offroad/

As far as the tail light, check ebay or the for sale section on this forum.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:06 AM   #12
MMMMM Taco's
Taco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Taco-NB's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely more than $500 damage.

How much is it going to cost you to fix the Taurus?
Old 12-30-2009, 09:08 AM   #13
socal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Diego
socal16's Tacoma Gallery
sorry to hear that man
Old 12-30-2009, 09:48 AM   #14
blackxpress is on a distinguished road

Navy:
Name: Jeff
blackxpress's Tacoma Gallery
Now you know why the guy in the Taurus was going so SLOW.

Get the estimate and the check from the insurance company and then find yourself a good independent body shop. If you know any really good used car dealers, ask them who they use. My experience has been that most body shops, especially the ones at new car dealers, are just parts replacers. For example, I had a 99 Chrysler LHS that got hit in the right rear quarter panel. The Chrysler dealer quoted $1500 and said it couldn't be fixed. They were going to have to replace the quarter panel, which meant cutting it way up on the roof and welding on a new one. I found a really good body man that straightened it, re-scribed the trim line and repainted it for $800. I got $1500 from the insurance company, paid the body man and put $700 in my pocket. Plus, I wound up with a better car because replacing a quarter panel on a unit body car would actually weaken the body of the car. You never want to cut body parts off a unit body car if you can help it.

Of course, your truck is not unit body but replacing the bedside is going to be way more expensive than repairing the damage. I bet the guy that did my work could fix that and you'd never know it had been hit. You might even end up with a dollar or two left over when all's said and done.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:34 AM   #15
Custom User Title

Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco-NB View Post
Definitely more than $500 damage.

How much is it going to cost you to fix the Taurus?

Don't know. Insurance is gonna handle it.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:31 AM   #16
Banned
Masada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Taylor
Masada's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac808 View Post
Don't know. Insurance is gonna handle it.
You will still have to pay that deductible...so why not get yours fixed?
Old 12-30-2009, 01:19 PM   #17
r00t
SubFrozen is a splendid one to beholdSubFrozen is a splendid one to beholdSubFrozen is a splendid one to beholdSubFrozen is a splendid one to beholdSubFrozen is a splendid one to beholdSubFrozen is a splendid one to beholdSubFrozen is a splendid one to behold

Army: Prior Service
Name: William
SubFrozen's Tacoma Gallery
I-15 is a wet sloppy mess when it snows. Sorry about the accident. Next time you're around, drop me a PM, I live in Sandy.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:38 PM   #18
Aspiring wrench monkey
TacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of light

TacoCo's Tacoma Gallery
Bedside is a bolt on piece, no welding involved, so it's not terribly expensive to replace, but still likely going to take you over your $500 deductible. I wasn't paying because I got backed into on mine, but I think the new bedside cost $800.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:28 PM   #19
Custom User Title

Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masada View Post
You will still have to pay that deductible...so why not get yours fixed?
I did not know that. It's my first accident.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:29 PM   #20
Custom User Title

Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubFrozen View Post
I-15 is a wet sloppy mess when it snows. Sorry about the accident. Next time you're around, drop me a PM, I live in Sandy.
Cool. We are up there all the time for work. As for play, I wanna hit up Snowbird area.