Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Need a FNG stickey

Old 03-13-2008, 09:28 AM   #1
nagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of light

Army: 173rd Airborne, Pathfinder, MACV
Name: George
nagelg's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to nagelg
Need a FNG stickey

Ok, I'm a FNG so bear with me. (as many others here are). I've had my day fixing up, modifying and whatever on engines and trucks but that was back when. Now I'm here and seeing terms like MAF, XID, URD,PIAA, etc. etc. and MANY more terms like that. I might as well be on a Chinese message board.

Anyone ever think about a simple dictionary as a sticky?...for us dumb folks.

Thanks
Old 03-13-2008, 10:13 AM   #2
Canadian Taco
corywilson13 is on a distinguished road

corywilson13's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to corywilson13
CAI cold air intake, PIAA is a brand of vehicle lighting systems.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:20 AM   #3
orangebutte will become famous soon enough
orangebutte's Tacoma Gallery
Fng

EXCELLENT IDEA! I'm not as well versed in mechanical lingo as others so any help (plain language) would help many of us. I'm a firm believer in the KISS method: Keep It Simple Stupid.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:39 AM   #4
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
That's actually a great idea. Way to contribute, nagelg!

MAF: Mass Air Flow (sensor)
HID: High Intensity Discharge (really bright, low-wattage lights)
URD: Underdog Racing Development (company brand)
PIAA: Brand of lights
TSB: Technical Service Bulletin
ABS: Antilock Braking System
OBDII: On-Board Diagnostics, second generation (port to plug into a pull engine codes and such)

Not that I have any pull around here, but it's probably a good idea for people to post what they don't know. After awhile we'll just compile everything into a single sticky.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:40 AM   #5
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
May be a technical section hey TCBob?

MAF- Mass Air Flow (usually pertains to the sensor)

URD- Under Dog Racing (they have tons of good afternarket shit for our trucks)

Edit: Looks like mjp2 beat me to the post. Also mjp2 when you joining the Northern Allaince? We could use more Jersey people.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:47 AM   #6
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer J View Post
...mjp2 when you joining the Northern Allaince? We could use more Jersey people.
As soon as I find out what beverages are served at the meetings. I'm a bit of a gin snob unless I'm brewing my own or it's St. Patrick's Day!
Old 03-13-2008, 10:48 AM   #7
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
That's actually a great idea. Way to contribute, nagelg!

MAF: Mass Air Flow (sensor)
HID: High Intensity Discharge (really bright, low-wattage lights)
URD: Underdog Racing Development (company brand)
PIAA: Brand of lights
TSB: Technical Service Bulletin
ABS: Antilock Braking System
OBDII: On-Board Diagnostics, second generation (port to plug into a pull engine codes and such)
To add to the list.

CAI: Cold Air Intake
KC: Another brand of off-road lights
XID: Another intake parts manufacturer
VPE: Vapor Pressure Enhancer (a device that claims to reduce emissions and lower fuel consumption some of us believe it, others don't there's a link in my signature)
TRD: Toyota Racing Development (this goes beyond packages on the trucks and is actually a division of Toyota that makes/re-badges aftermarket upgrade parts)
OME: Old Man Emmu (sp?) (aftermarket suspension manufacturer)

I'm sure others will add more.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:24 AM   #8
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
As soon as I find out what beverages are served at the meetings. I'm a bit of a gin snob unless I'm brewing my own or it's St. Patrick's Day!
A guy I work with brews his own beer some good stuff man! You tell me what your drinking and we will accommodate you!
Old 03-13-2008, 11:26 AM   #9
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
good idea, now will someone please go through all of Dan's posts and do the same thing for all of his abreviations?
Old 03-13-2008, 11:27 AM   #10
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer J View Post
A guy I work with brews his own beer some good stuff man! You tell me what your drinking and we will accommodate you!
you reek of desperation....
Old 03-13-2008, 11:31 AM   #11

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
you reek of desperation....
Thats not what you smell man! It must of been what I had for lunch today.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:37 PM   #12
FMLYHM
zmtnbik has a spectacular aura aboutzmtnbik has a spectacular aura aboutzmtnbik has a spectacular aura about

zmtnbik's Tacoma Gallery
To add to it:
OEM - Original Equipment Manufacturer, not to be confused with OME - Old Man Emu
ARB - Air locker
AAL - add a leaf
LSD - limited slip differential
E-locker - electronic locking differential
CO - coil overs
UCA - upper control arms
Shims - aluminum or steel wedges to correct drive line angles, installed under rear leaf springs
TC - Total Chaos (manufacturer of Taco suspension)
SS - Stainless steel as in SS brake lines
SAS - Solid Axle Swap (something I hope to do 5 - 10 years down the road
RTFM - read the freaking manual
id10t - if you can figure it out, you may be one
IMO - In my opinion

and the list goes on
Old 03-13-2008, 01:01 PM   #13
Mellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud of

Mellow's Tacoma Gallery
The FAQ section actually has some built in controls for this type of thing, glossary, which might be a good idea.

Not as obvious as a post though.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:49 PM   #14
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmtnbik View Post
To add to it:
OEM - Original Equipment Manufacturer, not to be confused with OME - Old Man Emu
ARB - Air locker
AAL - add a leaf
LSD - limited slip differential
E-locker - electronic locking differential
CO - coil overs
UCA - upper control arms
Shims - aluminum or steel wedges to correct drive line angles, installed under rear leaf springs
TC - Total Chaos (manufacturer of Taco suspension)
SS - Stainless steel as in SS brake lines
SAS - Solid Axle Swap (something I hope to do 5 - 10 years down the road
RTFM - read the freaking manual
id10t - if you can figure it out, you may be one
IMO - In my opinion

and the list goes on
ARB is a company. Also bumpers and sliders besides the air locker.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:53 PM   #15
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DO- Demello Offroad (more custom truck parts)
Toytec - company for suspension lifts
Dakar/Deaver - After market leaf packs. Provide lift and better weight handling than stock
DTRL - Day Time Running Lights (aka DRL)
Old 03-13-2008, 05:08 PM   #17
Pastry Chef
tacotoe is on a distinguished road
tacotoe's Tacoma Gallery
How about a little help with non automotive abbreviations? For example when I first started posting here I put LOL after offering someone advice,thinking that LOL meant lots of luck, later to find that it meant laugh out loud.That person probably thinks I was an a..hole.
BTW by the way
IMO in my opinion
WTF what the heck
Old 03-13-2008, 05:10 PM   #18
Gringo Bandito
tcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
tcBob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacotoe View Post
For example when I first started posting here I put LOL after offering someone advice,thinking that LOL meant lots of luck, later to find that it meant laugh out loud.That person probably thinks I was an a..hole.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:28 PM   #19
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
BOHECA- bend over here it comes again !
FUBAR- f#cked up beyond all recognition !
Old 03-13-2008, 05:32 PM   #20
Devout Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacotoe View Post
WTF what the heck
I think you lost the translation somewhere....