Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Step Up - Bar, Board, or ?? for 4x4

Old 12-30-2009, 09:31 PM   #1
gnuenglander is on a distinguished road
gnuenglander's Tacoma Gallery
Step Up - Bar, Board, or ?? for 4x4

I recently purchased a 2010 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 (2.7 L, 5 speed manual) with the SR5 package, Pyrite Mica. No longer being a youngster, Iíd like to buy something that serves as a step up to make it easier to get up into the cab, since the truck sits up high. Iím looking for something that looks good with the truckís color, but will really function as a step up, and is not just ďeye candyĒ. Some of the items Iíve seen look like they sit pretty close to the base of the existing door opening, so Iím not sure if that arrangement would even serve as a step up (for that matter, Iím not even sure if the proper term for what Iím looking for is a ďstep barĒ, or something else, please fill me in). I would also like a no drill installation, and ideally mounted to the frame, and not the body. Iím in New England, the land of winter salt, so corrosion resistance is very important. Also, I would not want the item to extend out further from the side of the truck than the mirrors, and although I want a step up, I donít want something that hangs so low that it really limits ground clearance. Any guidance you folks can provide relative to this is really appreciated. Thank You and Happy New Year!
Old 12-30-2009, 09:33 PM   #2
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
While not directly what your'e looking for, from your description I'd recommend getting a bolt-on slider. You'll probably need to drill a few bolt holes in the frame, but they're thinner, stronger, and will also serve to protect your body from rocks (should you hit the trails) or even the minivan next to you slamming the door into your truck. Best value for your dollar imo.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:34 PM   #3
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
^1 beat me to it!
Old 12-30-2009, 09:38 PM   #5
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
nerfs
Old 12-30-2009, 09:45 PM   #6
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkeller View Post
Sliders are not good steps though.
I dunno I think they're easier imo... especially if you got some rhino liner on them or something...
Old 12-30-2009, 10:00 PM   #8
R.A.M.F (R@D A$$ MUTHA FU$KA)
RAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sir_Rad
RAD's Tacoma Gallery
I'm confused....How does a Stock Access Cab Sit High enough to warrant a Step Bars?

You should just get Bolt on All Black Oval bars to serve your purpose. You can snag those for $150 shipped.

The BOLT ON Sliders would be the best IMHO but will COST you.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:44 PM   #9
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
She is short and wants me to put a step on the Taco. I don't think I want to but I guess I have to so does someone have a link to something they would recommend ? Something that will stick out and down far enough to step on. Don't need sliders just a step that won't make my truck look stupid. Thanks.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:38 AM   #10
R.A.M.F (R@D A$$ MUTHA FU$KA)
RAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sir_Rad
RAD's Tacoma Gallery
^ Ok that makes sense...Ummm. Thats tough. I went personally from Ugly Oval Side steps, then N-Fabs, and now Sliders.

The Sliders are Amazing and do all the work...

I don't know what to tell you as anything else looks not great.

However, it needs to serve a purpose and I say some Oval Black steps....N-Fabs will not look right on a non lifted TACO...It makes the TACO appear lower.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:19 AM   #11
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
I have the oem silver nerf bars and hardly ever use them to get in and out of the cab at 5'4". They are handy when getting to my roof rack for the kayaks & preventing inconsiderate people who wack your doors getting out of their cars in parking lots. Big trucks & SUVs not so much.

Another negative I noticed is they will get your nice pants dirty if you are not careful exiting the truck, you gotta reach out which is fun if there is snow & ice. Oh that makes them slippery too.
Why do I have these things? I need to get sliders!
Old 12-31-2009, 06:53 AM   #12
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
look at the Nfab bars, they look good and work well as steps.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:10 AM   #13
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Search the forum or google for nerf bars, running boards, step bars, tube steps - you'll get crap loads of different things and many to choose from.

I have the OEM running boards. They do sit really close to the door opening and I don't use them as a step myself unless I'm washing the vehicle. They're great to protect againest door dings.

Most of the tube steps & nerf bars will mount to the body. If you crawl under your truck, you'll see 3 sets of holes (2 each) on the inside of the rocker panel. They'll have plastic plugs in them.

In terms of rock sliders...the only type of sliders that are good for steps are the double SQUARE TUBE sliders made by Demello. They're called "RockCrushers". They're not a bolt-on. You have to get them welded to the frame. I had these on my 96 tacoma and since my truck was lifted, I used them as a step all the time.
http://www.demello-offroad.com/catal...products_id=46
Old 01-01-2010, 08:38 AM   #14
wmb67 is just really nicewmb67 is just really nicewmb67 is just really nicewmb67 is just really nice
wmb67's Tacoma Gallery
I purchased 3" N-fab step bars from 4wheelonline.com for $359 + $60 shipping = $419. They are functional and look good too.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:46 AM   #15
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
I checked it out. This is what I found http://4wheelonline.com/Nfab_ToyotaC...s.91476.447248 is this what you got ? How does it mount ? Does it just bolt on to existing holes or do you weld it on ? Did you get black or what ? Not enough questions, I'll think of more ? Thanks Curious George

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmb67 View Post
I purchased 3" N-fab step bars from 4wheelonline.com for $359 + $60 shipping = $419. They are functional and look good too.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:56 AM   #16
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keason1* View Post
look at the Nfab bars, they look good and work well as steps.
I second this idea. My NFab nerf steps are very useful for getting in and out of my Prerunner access cab.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:58 AM   #17
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by george3 View Post
I checked it out. This is what I found http://4wheelonline.com/Nfab_ToyotaC...s.91476.447248 is this what you got ? How does it mount ? Does it just bolt on to existing holes or do you weld it on ? Did you get black or what ? Not enough questions, I'll think of more ? Thanks Curious George
Mine are 2" but they bolt on to existing bolt holes under the body. If you look under the edge of your truck you will find pairs of bolt holes with (probably) plastic "bolts" (pop-in covers) already there. The NFabs come with the right size bolts to attach to those holes.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:58 AM   #18
SierraMare is on a distinguished road

Name: Ted
SierraMare's Tacoma Gallery
Another good option that provides rock slider protection while giving you "steps" are the product from Avid Offroad. I don't have this particular slider (my 4xInnovations slider, with antiskid tape, works well as a step), but I do have his front light bar for my tacoma and find Brandon to be a honest, reasonable, fair person to deal with. Great prices, too! This particular product is designed for "bolt on" attachment. Give Brandon a call or email for more details - he is quick to respond to customer questions and can also deal with special requests: http://www.avidoffroad.com/products/2005-toyota-tacoma/
Old 01-01-2010, 11:26 AM   #19
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the reply. Is the link the same product you bought ? It's on sale so maybe a good time for me to make a move.
http://4wheelonline.com/Nfab_ToyotaC...s.91476.447248

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
Mine are 2" but they bolt on to existing bolt holes under the body. If you look under the edge of your truck you will find pairs of bolt holes with (probably) plastic "bolts" (pop-in covers) already there. The NFabs come with the right size bolts to attach to those holes.